• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbug

Stan Wickham (3)
In all my years as a St Pats parent and avid rugby supporter, I can confidently say with 8 trips over the mountains, I have never enjoyed one. I watched the 14a's match as they are one of St Pats more talented teams. Credit to Stannies for winning and that is what will be recorded in the ISA books. However, I think that it was close to impossible for St Pats to win this match given the standard of refereeing. From what I can gather from the program provided, the referee was a Father of one of the Stannies 14a's. St Pats could not get a break, the St Pats boys got frustrated and were marched for back chat on numerous occasions, which is unacceptable in any case. Really I can't wait to hear results of Stannies when they play in Sydney, likely to be a different story.

I have a great deal of respect for all referees, the game of rugby is impossible to be played without their time and dedication. The referee was obviously experienced, but in this case it was evident that personal interests persuaded the outcome of the match. In my opinion relatives if at all possible (which it was on Saturday given the number of refs around) should not referee the corresponding game. Unfortunately my poor experiences in Bathurst have arisen from the pure frustration I and many other supporters have experienced due to the refereeing. Student of the college should not be put in a position where they have to referee the lower grades of the same age group, which has occurred when a 16 As player reffed the 16 cs. It is a long way to go to lose, particularly when fairness is in question.

Quick question to the rugby supporters in and around these forums. Do you find it acceptable for yellow/red carded players to be cheered from the crowd by either the side. The beneficiary definetly should not cheer and I feel the receiving team shouldn't either but the roar the sent off players received from the Stannies students was in really poor taste in my opinion.

Further to the 1st XV match. Low quality rugby played by both teams, particularly St Pats who have a bit of potential. Unfortunately this spells the end for St Pats ISA hopes. I am definetly in favour of an expanded home and away draw, as a competitive team like St Pats is now playing for nothing better than 2nd.
Down south you so eloquently express the sentiments of so many who have crossed the mountain one too many times.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Who will take out the 14As and the 16As division of 2013 ISA ? That has to be either Stannies, St Gregs, Auggies or Oakhill.
How are St Gregs, Auggies and Oakhill travelling in these divisions ?

In the under 16’s Oakhill have plenty of talent and depth and would have to be stand out favourites. A’s have lost only a few games in the past three years (two to the very strong Joey’s side) and the B’s have lost one game in three years (Joey’s last year).

This year both sides have had big wins against Auggies in a trial, Pats and 64-0 and 62-12 wins respectively vs St gregs last weekend. I can’t see anyone getting near them.

With a strong under 15’s as well my tip is in two years Oakhill will field one of their best first xv’s in it’s history.

Ps. They’d be even stronger if not for Kings doing a little poaching.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
In the under 16’s Oakhill have plenty of talent and depth and would have to be stand out favourites. A’s have lost only a few games in the past three years (two to the very strong Joey’s side) and the B’s have lost one game in three years (Joey’s last year).

This year both sides have had big wins against Auggies in a trial, Pats and 64-0 and 62-12 wins respectively vs St gregs last weekend. I can’t see anyone getting near them.

With a strong under 15’s as well my tip is in two years Oakhill will field one of their best first xv’s in it’s history.

Ps. They’d be even stronger if not for Kings doing a little poaching.
Good age group the 16s but disagree a standout. Stannies and Augustines will be definitely in the mix

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Good age group the 16s but disagree a standout. Stannies and Augustines will be definitely in the mix

Well they'd have to make some big improvements. Stannies have never beaten Oakhill in this age group and Auggies lost 24-7 in the A's and a thumping 55-0 in the B's in the trial a few weeks ago.

Pedro

Sydney Middleton (9)
Looks like Taylor will be able to tear open teams in our ISA competition. Where did he materialize from ?

sootyanddave

Allen Oxlade (6)
Nothing wrong with having a OPINION as long as you have the Correct Facts. But there is No Need to Name Players with Negative Comments. I am sure a lot of players watch this Thread. Its Not Productive when we are trying to Support as many Boys making it through in ISA.
Hey,you quoted my post,asking if you were related.
Then ignored it in your response?

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I would hate to see St Pats go they need to stay in ISA comp. What else can be done St Pius as well ?

I am trying to get the context of this post - but reading back, I can't see it - can you expand?

btw... i watched Fiji go round against Japan on the weekend - some superlative tries scored in the wet - (amazed to find out that Craig Wing is Japanese)!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I would hate to see St Pats go they need to stay in ISA comp. What else can be done St Pius as well ?
Interestingly in the 13As 2 weeks ago Pius beat Augustines 45-0. (Yes that score is the right way round). That same Augustines team had beaten Riverview the week before. From all reports there was an across the board improvement in all Pius teams against Augustines.

I believe a new coaching regime is in place. Hope they can keep it up. I've always thought they were perenniel under-achievers.

ruggaman

Frank Row (1)
Sounds like the same guy who did the Augustines v Stannies 13As last year. He was so one sided that a Stannies Year 12 student who was running touch was so embarrassed he told the Augustine's parents that the ref's son was in the Stannies team.

Your comments echo many of those who have made the trek to Bathurst, particularly of parents and students refereering matches.

By contrast, I have never heard anything similar occurring at Orange.
You must be kidding!!!!! All parents from all schools carry on the same way. There are complaints no matter who the visiting side is. The bias comes from the parents who typically look at what the opposition is getting away with and never what their team seems to doing. In an ideal world you would have independent referees from outside the school to do all grades, however they don't exist and many refs have to back up because there is no one else qualified. I've learnt to put up with it because i wouldn't want to ref myself and they volunteer their time. How about all the critics out there go get your refs badge and start helping out and stop being one eyed. It would be interesting to hear the comments about how you perform.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
While their overal performance has undoubedly been helped on the back of some star performers, much of Scots recent resurgence can be put down to the focus of the rugby department on across the board skills improvement from 13F to opens, with much credit due to Andrew Cleverley. Some rewards of that investment are now apparent.

Grammar seem to have taken a similar approach this year with Lachlan Fear, and by all accounts they are also looking for a skills increase across the board which may take several years to bear fruit.

New also appear to be investing in coaching their own demographic at lower levels, as well as attracting talent to jump start their improvement programme.

Joeys, and View have been doing this (investing in their young'uns) for donkey's years. That is why they are the benchmark.

Good luck to Pius. Maybe there is another Hooper and Jones combination coming up through the age groups.

A strong, competitive and vibrant ISA competition is vital to any aspirations we have of growing the game in the Schoolboy ranks in NSW. First ISA, then reinvigorate CHS and convert the CCC from the dark side.

Time for me to wake up and have a calming cup of hot chocolate.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You must be kidding!!!!! All parents from all schools carry on the same way. There are complaints no matter who the visiting side is. The bias comes from the parents who typically look at what the opposition is getting away with and never what their team seems to doing. In an ideal world you would have independent referees from outside the school to do all grades, however they don't exist and many refs have to back up because there is no one else qualified. I've learnt to put up with it because i wouldn't want to ref myself and they volunteer their time. How about all the critics out there go get your refs badge and start helping out and stop being one eyed. It would be interesting to hear the comments about how you perform.
No I'm not kidding. We've all been to age group matches and don't expect test match standard refereeing. You shrug your shoulders and say thems the breaks and accept it.

But the same guy refereeing a team with his son playing in the team and the opposition getting hammered in the penalties 2 years in a row is a bit different.

stokes

Stan Wickham (3)
What I know
ISA 1s
1 Tukipilli
2 Edwards
3 Partridge
4 Melville
5 Anderson
6 Walker
7 Freeman
8 Lough
9 Taefotu
10 Arnold
11 Taylor
12 Currie
14 Cochrane
15 Cotton

ISA 2s
1 Osborn
2 Cook
3 Agliozzo
4 Hanigan
5 Adcock
6 Halaifonua
7 Moore
8 Abraham- From St Pats, replacement for the injured Josh Taweel
9 Brinnand
10 Kagiassis
11 Green
12 Markus
13 Yeomans
14 McDonald

16 Hollis
17 Byrne
18 Davidson- From Chev, replacement prop (Massima I think is Unavailable)
20 Burke
Looks like a very good team hiding in that group of names somewhere! Would have to think Cook, Hanigan, Halaifonua, Kagiassis and Markus would have to feature in the ones at some point,
I would swap Cotton with Cochrane and have Tukipilli loose head

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Do the II's bench for the I's or are is the Bench there for both I's and II's?

Presumably the II's and I's do not play at the same time.

These games are all listed as NSW Schools Trials fixtures. How much say would the NSW selectors have in asking for a certain player to play in a certain spot because they want to see how that individual performs up against certain opponents.

The breakup of the squad of 38 into I's and II's seems to be fairly logical in many positions, with the odd line call being made here or there. I'd imagine that there may be a chance for bench players to get promoted to run on slots, for II's to play their way into I's run on slots, and then lets not ignore the impact of injuries.

Regular school matches will be run in parallel to these trials, and I am aware of a few of these boys playing State Champs this weekend, and there is also a couple involved in Rugby Lite competitions. There is every chance of the team for the Knox Games being a little different from that above.

I'm on record elsewhere as saying a strong and competitive ISA competition is essential for growth and diversity in the Sydney/NSW Schoolboy space.

Recent ISA performances against the Big Guns have not been all that cringeworthy, and the U16 performance last year was impressive.
Good luck to the Orange and Black boys.

sootyanddave

Allen Oxlade (6)
Looks like a very good team hiding in that group of names somewhere! Would have to think Cook, Hanigan, Halaifonua, Kagiassis and Markus would have to feature in the ones at some point,
I would swap Cotton with Cochrane and have Tukipilli loose head

I consider Halaifonua the unluckiest of those you mention.
Given Kagiassis and Markus were overlooked by the selection of a backrower at 12.I wouldn't be holding my breath for them to get a run in the 1's.
On form, Cotton is vastly superior and should be 15 IMO.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Do the II's bench for the I's or are is the Bench there for both I's and II's?

Presumably the II's and I's do not play at the same time.

These games are all listed as NSW Schools Trials fixtures. How much say would the NSW selectors have in asking for a certain player to play in a certain spot because they want to see how that individual performs up against certain opponents.
The II's have a bench, then the best of the II's bench for the I's.
The II's play immediately before the I's.
IMO the selectors do not watch these games as keenly as they do with the GPS, they pick the standouts.They don't appear to think as laterally with this group as they seem to do with the GPS boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.