• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2013

Who will take out the Opens Div 1 title for ISA in 2103

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyPlayer2

Bob McCowan (2)
agree with Loucentre, this horrendous 'spear tackle' ended with the Pius player landing flat on his back. The Pius bench and coaches then proceeded to yell at the Pats bench, which I thought set an extremely poor example for the boys standing right next to them. Although the game was darkened due to a few off the ball indiscretions, I would think Pius would be very happy with getting that close to a team that contains the best forward pack in the ISA. PJ Agliozzo was again on fire and Matt Edwards played well while battling a bad shoulder injury.

hbhrugby

Stan Wickham (3)
On this "spear tackle" conversation. It was off the ball correct and warranted a penalty only. I want to make it clear the Pats player didn't go out of how way to grab the Pius player around the legs and tip beyond horizontal. The Pius player went for a very unrealistic turnover, by trying to jackal over a St Pats forward who had comfortably secured the ball. The ruck finished and the Pius player who went for the turnover, continued to hold their ineffective rucking position over the back of the St Pats player. The time the player held onto the St Pats player was in reason, he wasn't holding him back or interrupting the flow of the game, he was just been a bit of a pest at the breakdown which is perfectly fine. The "spear tackle" occurred as the St Pats forward in an aggressive manner stood up and flipped the Pius player over his head and he landed on his back. That is all. There was no intent, rather a careless or thoughtless evasive action which warranted a penalty only. St Pats were the fortunate benefactors of the decision. It was unlucky for Pius, although form on the day would suggest the penalty wouldn't have been turned into much. This incident certainly should not be used to exemplify potential incompetence or bias a touch judge has. To suggest that a touch judge was officiating in an unfair manner by not reporting this incident is ridiculous. It is a disgrace that it has been suggested favoritism has been showed and worse than that the touch judges are blamed for the constant off ball incidents. Maybe Pius players should cop it when a try is scored against them and not run in leading with knees. I know for certain St Pats definetly need to stop taking action in to their own hands by escalating push and shoves. What can the touch judge do about St Pats players running in? Nothing.

From what I've seen throughout St Pats season, the forward pack of St Pats is far greater than the individual effort of two players. Although Edwards and Agliozzo are the rep players and are consistent performers, yesterdays performance was lacking any real standouts in the forwards. All the good work through the forwards was an 8 or 7 man effort.

Maccasley

Bob McCowan (2)
St Pats 36 St Pius 27
Not a game that warrants a match review, other than to say that there were numerous "off-the-ball" incidents that were disgraceful from both teams.
The referee had his hands full from the get go.
When Josh Taweel #7 scored a runaway try he was hit late by the Pius player and the referee could have dealt with the matter (with a red card there and then). It didn't require all 30 players to run in. The "All in Blue" was unnecessary and happened right in front of hundreds of St Pats Junior School students. Well done players ! That was disgraceful.
The yellow cards might have been for repeated infractions, but were also necessary in several cases to "keep the peace". Just prior to #11 Brandon Bouhmelem being kneed in the back after scoring their was a horrific spear tackle "behind play" by a Pats player. It was seen by every spectator at the ground. The referee may have been sight unseen, but the touch judge was not. The incident was not reported, but the linesman (a Pats member of staff) should have been reported.
The incident, and lack of action by the linesman was IMHO responsible for the continued foul play and niggle that continued right through the game - and while I don't condone the action of the Pius player, the late hit may well have been a "get square".
I do hope that Pats and Pius rugby and school staff speak to the players.
Year 12 players can play with a little more "who cares" approach and it is not an attractive look (especially in front of young impressionable kids).
Pats deserved the victory. The had a size and weight dominance in the forwards that they really used effectively - but that advantage was lost with red and yellow cards making it more a running game (that the bigger Pats boys didn't seem to like too much).
The loss of their strike weapon - battering ram #12 Josh Maree was taken off because of concussion, and this allowed Pius a little breathing room and they manned up in the backs and defended well. The Pius #15 (U16 Schoolboy) was strong all day.
The score was extremely close all day, and if not for the stupid and foul play that took place, it really could have been an exciting game. Unfortunately, I, and many. many parents walked away talking about the unsavoury aspects of the game.

3 things.
Firstly, yes i agree with you that both teams overreacted to the push and shove.
Secondly, i had a ref in my game against Pius who made a few dodgy calls, and a Pius Dad linesman who seemed to think that the Pats backline should be always 15 metres back instead of 10.
But, the 'in front of junior school students' wasnt really needed as most of us (yes, were actually in Year 9 and 7, not 5 and 6) had played a rough game against Pius and werent exactly cheering for them either.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
Oakhill apparently beaten by Sydney JRU U17 team during the holidays.

Sounds like a bit of a surprise. Was it a full strength Oakhill team, or were kids away and consequently did a composite 1/2/3 XV represent Oakhill?

Not sure it should have been a surprise...? One would hope a SJRU U17 rep side would beat a school U18 side. The SJRU Sydney U17 side also defeated Central Coast U18s at North Sydney Oval (warm up to the Wallabies v Lions classics charity match), and that team had a number of Country rep players in it I believe.

Pretty sure the Oakhill team was their 1st XV in the main. I don't recall the actual score, but Oakhill were defeated relatively soundly by something like 5 tries to 1 or 2 IIRC (I stand to be corrected on the score).

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
ISA Div 2 Fixtures Round 9 - 3rd August

Chev v All Saints

Redfield v Redlands

CCGS v St Andrews

Last home game ever for me :'(

Div 1 fixtures?

Have a good weekend :)

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
ISA Div 2 Fixtures Round 9 - 3rd August

Chev v All Saints

Redfield v Redlands

CCGS v St Andrews

Last home game ever for me :'(

Div 1 fixtures?

Have a good weekend :)

Enjoy it mate - I still remember my last home game on the no.1 oval - was against St Pius :) . Looks like you guys are doing well too - good luck for the rest of the season.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
Enjoy it mate - I still remember my last home game on the no.1 oval - was against St Pius :) . Looks like you guys are doing well too - good luck for the rest of the season.

Did you win? It might be a good omen! I'm hoping I might be able to win the comp after 6 years of playing for Chev! Thanks very much :)

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Did you win? It might be a good omen! I'm hoping I might be able to win the comp after 6 years of playing for Chev! Thanks very much :)

Yep we won the last game - even scored a try too. Unfortunately we were way off on the ladder to challenging for the premiership.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The ISA 2015 thread will miss you Tom Ando. Any thoughts on where you are heading for Colts, or maybe Subbies Colts or Country Colts down in the Illawarra.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
St Augustines
1st. 79-12
2nds. 53-0
16s 51-0

St Gregs 3rd grade had a large win over the St Pats. Team visiting

I haven't heard "Sub Tuum Preasidium" sung for a long time and never quite in the way the St Gregs team were "singing"'it after this win. I hope the Campbeltown players have plenty more opportunities to perform it.

Tom Ando

Fred Wood (13)
The ISA 2015 thread will miss you Tom Ando. Any thoughts on where you are heading for Colts, or maybe Subbies Colts or Country Colts down in the Illawarra.

Haha thanks. My competitive side kicked in when I joined up on GAGR to find out all the talk behind the comps I play in haha. Not sure yet. Still trying to figure out which Uni at the moment but I most likely wont be playing in the Illawarra comp. At the moment I'm looking at Canberra so hopefully I can get a go up there with one of the Canberra sides in John Dent.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
St Augustines
1st. 79-12
2nds. 53-0
16s 51-0

St Gregs 3rd grade had a large win over the St Pats. Team visiting

I haven't heard "Sub Tuum Preasidium" sung for a long time and never quite in the way the St Gregs team were "singing"'it after this win. I hope the Campbeltown players have plenty more opportunities to perform it.
Similar results in 13, 14 & 15As I believe - Augustines in the 60s and 70s.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)
15A 42-5
14s and 13s had good wins too I believe.

Next week St Pats. Grand Final I believe - both schools on same points I heard?

Non Political

Frank Row (1)
Great to see the mighty Oakhill 2nd XV remain undefeated for the ISA season. The Firsts going great too to finish second to Auggies ( given they beat St Pats which won't be easy). Their win from all reports last week, against the odds, was worth the drive to Orange and put many pundits in their place. Glad Slugga has given himself a holiday as these results seem to fly in the face of his accusations, Oakhill rugby in a good place, can't wait until next year. The season is over already, can't believe it, maybe a home and away season needed?

Non Political

Frank Row (1)
Any news from the Pius and Stannies fixture??[/quote]
Oakhill played Stannies yesterday. (orange was last week but worthy of comment) The seconds won in a sloppy game for them in the process securing an undefeated season, the firsts showed what they are truly capable of when they are ready to play (unlike Auggies game) beating Stannies 46-13 ( not 100% on score but it was about this). Hoping that St Pat's can finish their season on a high next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.