• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ISA Rugby 2014

2014 Champions

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Telegraph reports:
ISA Div 1
Oakhill 31 (J Partridge, C Overton, Z Compton, B Piccone, L Robson tries, H Goddard 3 Con) - St Pius 9 (F Toohey 3 Pen)

St Patricks 80 ( D Calavassay 2, A Mancuso 2, D Denfield 2, P Calavassay , M Thomas, M Jenkins, J Nohra, N Vatovac, B Manenti tries, B Manenti 7 Con J Nohra 3 Con) - St Gregorys 0

St Augustines 41 St Stanislaus 19 (not in paper - Thanks @Wood Rat)

Seconds: St Gregorys 19 - St Patricks 7

ISA Div 2
All Saints 32 - Central Coast Grammar School 5
Chevalier 26 - Redfield 5
St Andrews 34 - Redlands 10

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
Did these boys actually trial?
I was speaking to a teacher from St Greg's the other day who said that one of their best players stood down from the ISA trials because he had already committed to NSW Country Under 18s, which clashed with one of the ISA trial games. ISA wanted the boys to fully commit to ever game and training session before they could be looked at so Jai Gunton stood down. He played loose head last Saturday for St Greg's (maybe Bob McCowan could tell us how he went). I mentioned in an earlier post that this player played in the NSW Under 18s last year, he didn't trial last year due to injury.
When are these NSW Country and the Schools going to get their heads together and work it out.

Will any of these players be getting a run this week? being a Friday it should not be conflicting with other week end commitments: colts, country or spiritual

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ School Holidays I believe - No games for any association.

Next games in a month (end of the first week back at school in Term 3).

Sweeper

Frank Row (1)
^^^ School Holidays I believe - No games for any association.

Next games in a month (end of the first week back at school in Term 3).

Thanks mate, what about last saturday? I'm a Redfield old boy, disappointing to see them go down to arch rivals Chevalier.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Unless a Gaggerlander aligned with a Div 2 school is prepared to put together a line or two on the game (like @Tom Ando did for Chev last year), the best you will get is when I post the scores reported in the Sunday papers (post #289 above).

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Hi Hugh ... you have shown interest in ISA Div 3 in the past, here are results from Round 1 & 2 if you or anyone else is interested.
Round 1
Auggies 3rds 24 bt Scots Bathurst 1st 12
Stannies 3rds 10 bt St Pats 3rds 5
Oakhill 3rds 18 bt Oxley 1st 14
Pius 2nds 38 bt Blue Mts Grammar 31
Round 2
Scots Bathurst 1st 33 bt St Pats 3rds 17
Oakhill 3rds 45 bt Auggies 3rds 12
Oxley 1st 22 bt Pius 2nds 14
Stannies 3rds 7 bt St Pats 3rds 0

No sure about all scores from last week's round # 3.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The best way to keep kids interested in rugby and to provide a platform for future growth is to give kids competitive games. I sense that what AAGPS have done with the TAS, SGS, SBHS 1st XV vs the other schools 3rd XV has rejuvenated interest in the rugby programme at TAS, SGS and SBHS.

Similar for BMGS, Oxley and All Saints. A 2nd XV or 3rd XV loves nothing better than beating some other mobs 1st XV, and for the weaker schools a victory over a stronger schools 3rds is still a good and hard earned victory.

Are there others who think that the ISA Div 3 competition is providing good footy experiences for all those involved?

Is it helping to "grow" rugby at BMGS, All Saints and Oxley?

Whale berry

Larry Dwyer (12)
Anyone got u16 scores from the weekend?

16A Oakhill 35 Pius 10
28-5 at half time, Oakies came out firing with a big pack and it was 28-0 before you could blink.
After Pius woke up the game settled down to be a bit more even, as you can see from the score.
Game finished 5 mins earlier than scheduled with a neck injury to a Pius boy. They called the ambo as a precaution but all was well.

RugbyTears

Chris McKivat (8)
Hugh, carrying on the discussion on Div 3, here is what is happening in the ISA Div 1 4th XV comp and 5th XV comp this year.

4th XV comp consist of
Chev 2nds
Gregs 3rds
Kinross 3rds
Oakhill 4ths
Pats 4ths
Pius 3rds
Stannies 4ths

5th XV comp consist of
Kinross 4ths
Gregs 4ths
Pats 5ths
Stannies 5ths
Oakhill 5ths
Oakhill 6ths

A lot more kids are getting a game each week and so far no blow out cricket scores so the mix seem to be right. yes, I know calling it 4th & 5th XV comp is misleading but its just a name.
There is so much negative write up about junior rugby being neglected, I just want to point out there is something being done in little humble ISA land without any funding and fanfare. Plus the support from the parents and schools affected - willing to travel, ref, coach etc. etc. been most appreciated by everyone to make this work so far. I say we congratulate the ISA people for giving this a go.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Interesting that in the lower age groups that Augustines have more teams that Kinross and Gregs, but in the higher age groups and opens this is reversed.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ A snout tells me there will be minor (1 or 2) changes in the forward packs. The actual detail of ins and outs is unknown. No changes to the backlines apparently.

I'm hoping to get to some of the games at Curagul tomorrow. If someone doesn't beat me to it, I will post the adjusted teams in the NSW Schools thread when I see a programme.

Wood Rat

Alfred Walker (16)
Interesting that in the lower age groups that Augustines have more teams that Kinross and Gregs, but in the higher age groups and opens this is reversed.

It may be similar to some of the reasons posted in the decline of Sydney juniors thread.
choose a different winter sport and you get to stay on the peninsula
at boarding schools as named pick a sport that travels and you get out of the place for a day
personally I like the country drive I kind of hope there is a Snowy mountains gramma, new England/north coast team or someone in the Illawarra that might join and we can make a week end of it

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
It may be similar to some of the reasons posted in the decline of Sydney juniors thread.
choose a different winter sport and you get to stay on the peninsula
at boarding schools as named pick a sport that travels and you get out of the place for a day
personally I like the country drive I kind of hope there is a Snowy mountains gramma, new England/north coast team or someone in the Illawarra that might join and we can make a week end of it

I think you're right WR (World Rugby).

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
I have not been able to find any information on the ISA 16's. Does anyone know where the team lists, results etc can be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.