• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

It's Goodbye for the Fainga'a Twins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
"Quality of living" for the player manager would rank very highly among the "many other intangibles".

Yeah, you'd think that from a player manager perspective, the "sorry, we don't have a Wallaby top up contract for you" is the greatest piece of news ever because it allows them to go after a big cash deal in Europe or Japan.

By the sounds of things it backfired on the manager because they've presumably accepted a smaller contract to stay in Australia.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
From reading the attached there was a bit more to the decision then the money. Will laugh at the ARU if they both get named in the squad later this year.

http://www.redsrugby.com.au/NewsEvents/NewsArticles/tabid/581/ArticleID/5663/Default.aspx

Isn't it financially responsible for the ARU to pay as little as possible to everyone until they make the wallabies.

I don't think there is any reason to laugh at an organization for not paying everyone until they prove worthy.

Neither Faainga is first choice in there position, Saia is third and while an argument can be made for Anthony the same can be made against him.

There both important players for QLD and it's good there staying but I think the ARY is doing the right thing here, if people are keen to play for Australia the incentive is only greater now.

Either way I'm glad they are staying.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is there a list of the players that have been given, retained, the ARU contracts since the drop to 26?

I understand your and Mr Timm's point, however both of these players were in the Wallabies squads for last year. Fine there is an arguement that that was only because of injury. But you know what, I had a little chuckle at the ACB a few years ago when they did not renew certain player contracts, and then those players forced themselves into the side at the expense of some others that were given contracts. We are always going to disagree on selections to a certain extent, you are a Tahs supporter and I am a Reds supporter, but I will continue to question the decisions made by the ARU on a whole range of issues, including player contracts. Why? Because I beleive that without being questioned organisations can not grow and improve. I raised the same questions when the QRU didn't fight to keep Berrick.

I need to disagree with you about the incentive to play for Aust being greater. I think that without some sort of further explanation I think that the fact that the ARU have cut their top up payments back to 26 players means that there are a lot of players who will now be looking at overseas as an even more viable options as they can see that they definitely will earn more. Yes I know what you think - it means that there is only 26 players that the ARU think are definite shoe ins for the Wallaby squad, therefore more oportunities are there. However, being the pessismist that I am, I look at it the other way, the ARU is saying that these are the players we think we need to pay to keep in Aust, the rest are expendible and we don't give a shit.

Will edit previous post since it seems to have cause some angst.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh and one more thing, since I am having a bitch, I hope that those who are on the ARU top-up list do as much for the code off the field, and I don't care where, that these boys do for the game in QLD, and I hate to point out, in Aust and the places overseas that they visit as part of the reds season. Otherwise it will tend to look like the ARU knows that players like the Fainga twins will stick around, so therefore can pay them less then the ones who only care about what money they are getting.

Now I feel better I will end my rant...... until next time. And I do realise that this post may have cast unfair aspersions, but until I know who is on the list, I am not going to appologise.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
It's one way to look at it. Agree with what your saying and how you came to that conclusion.

My thoughts are with more teams comes more chances for players to prove themselves. Meaning from year to year the wallaby squad now has more of a chance to change on form etc.

Players who are high on certain factors deserve to be contracted as the ARU needs to protect itself against this players leaving thus keeping a nexus of a team and also the ability to market the game successfully. However fringe players now need to be in a more competitive environment due to the financial situation involved and I see this as that case.

Players like this are very important for there team and there value to QLD is nit the issue. It's a given. Perhaps down the line when the books are better balanced the contracts will go up in number again, but I think the actual factors are beyond the ARU being jerks.

L

Linebacker_41

So they have signed for 2013. That's great news.

Sounds like they want to take their once in a career opporuntity to play against the British and Irish Lions (even if it is only for Queensland should they not be selected for the Wallabies). I know if I was a player that I would love that experience.

Then it leaves them free to go elsewhere in 2014 or prove to the ARU that they are worth investing in in the next 12 months.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I have a better idea than the centrally contracted 26 player system, on the back of tahj's:

My thoughts are with more teams comes more chances for players to prove themselves. Meaning from year to year the wallaby squad now has more of a chance to change on form etc.

Provide no top-ups at all. Give the additional money evenly to the states, with the requirement they cannot spend it on overseas players. At least then all the states are on equal footing.

Obviously still provide match payments for wallaby games.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I have a better idea than the centrally contracted 26 player system, on the back of tahj's:

Provide no top-ups at all. Give the additional money evenly to the states, with the requirement they cannot spend it on overseas players. At least then all the states are on equal footing.

Mate that's way too rational- the ARU will never go for it.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)

I was going to suggest this, but was stroppy. Great idea Scotty.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

They should make the club grants equal to the salary cap, after that, it should into rep programs.

If all the clubs had a heap of money, how is it divided? Do Kurts and JOC (James O'Connor) get a million each a season while the rest if the team get 100k?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Up to the teams how they want to distribute the money. Market forces will sort it all out in the end. There would be more moving between teams but theoretically more even teams.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
It would be the same as any other club competition with a salary cap.

For Australian teams yes. But with our depth it's unlikely amongst 5 teams currently that an even distribution of talent in the Aussie pool could lead to a team challenging for a title

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It only theoretically distributes more evenly. Coaching systems and outstanding talent and combinations will still determine the results. Remember that both league and afl have salary caps but there are still teams that manage to go through dynasty type periods.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Heard an interesting aside last night - "Good to see the ARU stepped up to the plate."

Really? Did they? Can this be conformed? Certainly a change in tactics if this is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.