• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

It's Goodbye for the Fainga'a Twins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Why can't a very very good super rugby player make enough money here without having to look at options overseas? Plenty of League players who aren't in the National team make a great earn here.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why can't a very very good super rugby player make enough money here without having to look at options overseas? Plenty of League players who aren't in the National team make a great earn here.

Difference with league is that they do not have as many options os and OZ seems to be in the higher paying bracket. As oposed to Union.....

sonny crockett

Allen Oxlade (6)
Plenty of opportunities in league os, just run through the names that play there. Thik it depends on what you classify as enough money vs the opportunities that exist to ensure your future is sewn up properly.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Any good rugby player who is willing to take the long view can use his playing career in Australia as a springboard for the rest of his life, plenty of time to study, plenty of successful people around who are involved in the game and would be prepared to give good advice, and maybe business opportunities.

This is the aspect of our game, compared to league, that we just do not enough to promote. Just think about this: the average NRL player gets about 60 first grade games total in his playing career. Some do a lot better, of course, that is the nature of averages, many do worse. But 60 first grade games does not give you enough of a nest egg, certainly not a "great earn" in whole of life terms. We do not read many stories about former NRL players making a splash outside league, do we.

I few weeks ago there was a story in the SMH about half a dozen NRL players who are enrolled in tertiary courses. I am certain that there would be far, far, more rugby players taking the opportunity to study and prepare themselves for life after the game. Phil Waugh, to quote one good example, graduated with two Masters degrees last year. How many NRL players have, or have ever had, one Masters degree, let alone two?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is actually something the NRL is changing.

From http://www.nrl.com/academic-team-of-the-year/tabid/10874/newsid/64425/default.aspx

62 NRL players (14%) are enrolled or have completed a university degree; a further 98 Toyota Cup players (19%) are enrolled in a university degree;
• 250 NRL players (55%) are enrolled or have completed a Vocational Education Training (Certificate II to Diploma); another 120 Toyota Cup players (22%) are also enrolled or have completed a VET program;
• 52 NRL players (11%) have completed at least two years of a trade apprenticeship; while 59 Toyota Cup players (13%) are currently working as an apprentice;
• The remaining 20% of NRL players have either participated in short courses or work experience or have undergone a skills assessment to determine career pathways outside of rugby league.
In addition, the No Work, No Study, No Play policy implemented in the Toyota Cup ensures all Under-20 players are actively engaged in the development of a post-rugby league career.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Thats a good initiative from the NRL. They should promote that more widely and make it more aspirational.

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Any good rugby player who is willing to take the long view can use his playing career in Australia as a springboard for the rest of his life, plenty of time to study, plenty of successful people around who are involved in the game and would be prepared to give good advice, and maybe business opportunities.

This is the aspect of our game, compared to league, that we just do not enough to promote. Just think about this: the average NRL player gets about 60 first grade games total in his playing career. Some do a lot better, of course, that is the nature of averages, many do worse. But 60 first grade games does not give you enough of a nest egg, certainly not a "great earn" in whole of life terms. We do not read many stories about former NRL players making a splash outside league, do we.

I few weeks ago there was a story in the SMH about half a dozen NRL players who are enrolled in tertiary courses. I am certain that there would be far, far, more rugby players taking the opportunity to study and prepare themselves for life after the game. Phil Waugh, to quote one good example, graduated with two Masters degrees last year. How many NRL players have, or have ever had, one Masters degree, let alone two?

I get all of that, and it's good. It should be a lot more structured and properly integrated into the Clubs and the ARU. Communicating what the players do to better themselves outside the game is something the fans, particularly the kids, should hear more about as well.

But something is still not quite right when players like the Fainga's are in the position they are in.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
They'll be around for another year at least.

http://bit.ly/zOO8Xh
.@Reds_Rugby confirm @FaingaaTwins Anthony & Saia sign 12-month contract extension till end of 2013. More on #FSN at 2pm EDT #superrugby

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I don't understand. There manager said that Aus rugby couldn't afford to keep them. Either QLD are paying under the table or someone in the Fainga'a camp is lying. Makes me lose a fair chunk of respect for them.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What if they've just decided to take a pay cut for one year to have one last crack to get themselves back into the Wallabies contracted player list?

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Just because they aren't on the contract list doesn't mean they can't get selected.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't understand. There manager said that Aus rugby couldn't afford to keep them. Either QLD are paying under the table or someone in the Fainga'a camp is lying. Makes me lose a fair chunk of respect for them.

When was the last time a player manager constituted a reliable source of information?

I'd imagine there were a few things other than money involved. When people consider job offers, money is one of the influences, but there are many other intangibles, such as wanting to stay close to family, quality of living, etc which are equally important.

Regardless of all that, good to see them staying on.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If they were Tahs players, WJ would be calling them heroes right now for staying in Australia and accepting a smaller paycheque. :D

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
When was the last time a player manager constituted a reliable source of information?

I'd imagine there were a few things other than money involved. When people consider job offers, money is one of the influences, but there are many other intangibles, such as wanting to stay close to family, quality of living, etc which are equally important.

"Quality of living" for the player manager would rank very highly among the "many other intangibles".

Status
Not open for further replies.