• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

It's Goodbye for the Fainga'a Twins

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think you underplay the Fainga'a twins. Big time. They are kid magnets. I am AMAZED at how much they are loved by the kids, and to be fair the wider market too. Sure out of QLD they may not have the profile, but here they are two of our more high profile and popular players. Just listen to the crowd reaction when the announcer reads through the team pre-game, its up there with Digby, Quade and Genia.

One thing that sticks in my mind is what they did after the Super Rugby final last year. As the players did the lap at the end Saia and Ant stopped and spoke to every single kid at that fence. That just blew me away. There is a lot of other players out there that could learn a lesson from them. I think that that night alone they did more for the recruitment of juniors into RU then a lot of players do in a lifetime.

And Cat_A - if you need someone to do some cooking for the street stalls, let me know.....

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think you underplay the Fainga'a twins. Big time. They are kid magnets. I am AMAZED at how much they are loved by the kids, and to be fair the wider market too. Sure out of QLD they may not have the profile, but here they are two of our more high profile and popular players. Just listen to the crowd reaction when the announcer reads through the team pre-game, its up there with Digby, Quade and Genia.

The kids love them because they genuinely seem to enjoy interacting with the kids. I haven't seen another sports person that is on the same level as them in this regard.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Quade does a lot of the same stuff but he's not in the same league as the twins. I have never seen such patience and sincerity in any sportsman. I hope the reds move heaven and earth to keep them. They are only 23 aren't they?

Sent using Tapatalk on a very old phone

Karl

Bill McLean (32)
Never said anything about being spectacular players. I was point out from a community perspective, that is within Queensland rugby they would be a big loss. They engage with the Queensland community, kids look up to them and want to watch them.

My boys love them both, huge fans. Definite favourites. Most of their mates at Brothers are the same. They also just like yelling the name.

FAI'INGAAAAAAAAA!!!!!

Goddess

Stan Wickham (3)
Boys, if you or your managers are reading this, I'll start running lamington drives and pie drives, and if we coordinate all the clubs in Brisbane, we might be able to get a few sausage sizzles at the juniors days. God knows with the amount of support you've given to all of these things over the past few years (including when the Reds were shit), and the amount of shit you've copped for having your faces out there, we owe you a couple back.

Cat, couldn't agree with you more. They're two of the nicest kids I've ever met and they put in the hard yards to promote the game. Ant saw us a few months ago at the airport, recognised us as Wallabies/Reds fans so he came over & said hello. Would you get that from players of any other sporting code played at international level? Nope. The Fainga'a twins are good for the game at club, state and international level.

I'd be very interested to see the list of who's in/out. I'd be willing to bet my left boob there'd be at least 3 on it who should be off to Japan/France/whereverthefuckelsetheypaythebigbucks instead.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yep, there would be a few boobs in that list that should be making way for some noobs to loob the bench instead. They can go over the france and suck on their doobs.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
What ever they choose is cool with me. Fantastic the pair of them an inspirational as well. No matter how much shit people dump on you keep working and you will reach the top. These blokes are respect personofied.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Having known the twins since the age of 5, I can honestly say that to let them go would be a tragedy. The fact they compromised and left the ACT for a lowly Reds speaks volumes for how much they wanted to stick together.

Aside from this, they've always been happy to pass on skills, tips or just say g'day anytime someone runs into them. They know they are privelidged.

I contrast these two with Steven Hoiles and Rocky Elsom - two of the biggest mercenarys I've ever met - they didn't give a shit about the local clubs, the team and the ACT itself.

Culture says a lot about a team - These guys are great players in a great team, and certainly project Queensland rugby in a positive light. I just wish they were still here.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
He seemed to be extremely arrogant, particularly when you consider he is only an average player (hoiles that is).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I always thought that hoiles was a decent guy.
I saw him at a brumbies skills day in sydney (pissed all over the tahs ones, by the way) and he was great - doing all the things you're congratulating the finger boys for doing: which I agree is great.
Why do you say he's mercenary? He didn't go to the Brums for money he went for game time - didn't he?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I made no mention of anything untoward. I don't believe for a second that there is anything shady in what he is doing and I hope you are not implying that I did.

Of course the agent should try to get as much money for his/her clients as possible. I just don't think doing it via the court of public perception is the right way to go, and I used the SBW media experience as backup evidence.

Not at all. I just think that Managers do have a valuable purpose. The court of public perception, IMO only, is a great arena to be peddling your players worth, just not in the grubby way that a small number of Managers do.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Whether they are worth the ARU topup or not, the general consensus seems to be that the Fainga'a brothers have been worth their weight in gold to the Reds. I would strongly agree with this based on how I have seen them interact with the general public. They seem like genuinely decent young men who appreciate the the opportunities given to them.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Just to be contrary, and in no way meaning to slight the Faingaas, who I am sure are terrific guys by all accounts, but would the main criterion be their value as marketable, popular assets or as good enough players on the park?
I think they fall into that group of very, very good Super Rugby players who are always going to be a bit on the fringes at higher levels. I hope they stay in Oz, because we need good players at that level, but I can fully understand why they might go.

Status
Not open for further replies.