• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

James Horwill stripped of captaincy

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If you are looking for reasons to bag him yes. You could also say that he has been at the Reds for years doing a great job there winning a title and maintaining a spot in the top for consecutive years despite missing a key playmaker for half of each season.
I think Horwill has been a very good captain at Super level, interestingly when he was playing better personally, and probably had a far clearer idea of what was wanted from the coach, not to mention closer ties with his team-mates. I think his "death or glory" style of leader works really well there.
At Test level he has not been as dominant a captain, probably for many reasons, not least of all his own injuries, the coach, the disjointed goings-on in the squad and so on. He doesn't seem to enjoy as clean a relationship with refs in Tests.
If he gets back to his best form, and the Wallabies start to get some confidence and momentum, I'm sure he could stand out as leader again.
For now, I completely agree with McKenzie's decisions to bench him (pre-Simmo injury) and keep Mowen as captain. I'm sure we'll see better from him soon.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
If you are looking for reasons to bag him yes. You could also say that he has been at the Reds for years doing a great job there winning a title and maintaining a spot in the top for consecutive years despite missing a key playmaker for half of each season.
wasnt looking for reasons to bag him jus throwing it out there
-you'll note i never questioned his leadership at the reds- if he stomps on someones head playing s15 the whole world doesnt see, when he does it playing for the wallabies its a national embarrassment- but thats another matter. its his leadership for the wallabies i was questioning

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder how much further along Mowen's development would be in terms of test rugby if he had at least been taken on the EOYT tours two and three years ago when his form was as good as it has been this year for the Ponies. Indeed those taken ahead of him are far from selection now. Congratulations to him again for his ongoing selection and for again being selected as Captain.

As for QC (Quade Cooper) being named VC I am surprised that nobody has noted the impact that Quade undoubtable has on tactics and attack direction for the Wallabies, just as he does at the Reds. Indeed I recall seeing a photograph earlier this week with Quade standing talking to Link with a book open while the team is in a huddle. Could it just be possible that this appointment is a recognition of the level of input and ownership that Quade is willing to take on?

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Congrats to Ben and quade. Well done to link for being decisive and bold. Re quade, who da thunk it even 4 weeks ago, yet why not? It just might work. I take it as a sign that To'omua is also the first choice 12 now. Maybe being banished by deans was a godsend in hindsight.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
i know everyones very quick to blame deans for the wallabies woes the last few years but horwill has been the captain since 2011, apart from the 2011 trinations (where it could be argued sa and nz didnt take it seriously) the team has gone backwards> i wonder if part of this could be blamed on poor leadership on field?
as captain i would assume he would have a say in the game plans. and if he didnt thats probably even worse-
But you could easily look at it from the other perspective. IIRC when Eales was first made Wallabies captain they went through a period of poor form and a remember there being plenty of criticism along the lines of Eales being a great player but poor captain. Then the Wallabies hit form and Eales captaincy credentials were never in question.
It reminds me of a cricket quote I heard once - 'show me a great test captain and I'll show you a captain who has 2 great bowlers'.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
is being vc really that important? I mean it would largely be a role in name more than anything else no?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
It is still a meaningful position and a measure of the faith that McKenzie (and I assume the playing group) has in the 2014 version of Cooper.

Plus, if the captain gets injured it becomes very important.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
It is still a meaningful position and a measure of the faith that McKenzie (and I assume the playing group) has in the 2014 version of Cooper.

that (to me at least) merely fulfills the 'figurehead' notion of vc.

Plus, if the captain gets injured it becomes very important.

this one however does seem important (and underlines the above notions.)

thanks

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Mowen pulls a hammy in the first minute, Quades your captain for 80 mins vs England at Twix.

Comfy?

As I said though - it could be a masterstroke.

Yep, very comfortable should that happen. Nerves may play a part should it happen but given the growing up he has done in the last 12 months, I have no doubts he has the maturity to handle the job.

I am now kind of intrigued about what style of captain he would be.

Reactions: TSR

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Horwill's loss of the captaincy is only temporary. Mowen will see out this tour but depending on who is available and in form next year makes Mowen's selection chances cloudy. That is no dis-respect to him but it is a very real possibility.

The critique of Horwill's captaincy personally I think sounds more like Genia when captain.

One undeniable fact is with Kev and Link, the combination as captain/coach is four years old and these two would have one top working relationship. This decision would be nothing personal and it is good that Kev can focus on finding his form. He looks down on confidence like a player who is just worried about his body breaking down again. As a massive Horwill fan, I hope he gets back to his best.

All the best to Mowen. He has a chance to possibly go down in history as a grand slam winning Wallaby captain and like all Wallaby fans, I hope it happens.

D

daz

is being vc really that important? I mean it would largely be a role in name more than anything else no?

Why don't you ask Morgan Turinui? Never the greatest player in the game, but has (former) Wallaby Vice Captain next to his name for the rest of his life.

That would be a bit special no matter who you are, I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.