• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

James O'Connor signs with West Harbour. WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We don't even know it was the Tahs.

Yeah........ that's right..........

3208325391_1389d632e3_b-300x218.jpg

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No my point was whilst it was obviously likely the media didn't even tell us/confirm who was involved.

T

TOCC

No my point was whilst it was obviously likely the media didn't even tell us/confirm who was involved.

Ironically(or perhaps not) it disappeared around the same time Folau was signed and the NSWRU happily gave up their majority veto powers within the ARU constitution.

T

TOCC

Do you actually believe that?

The ARU gave NSW Folau and Reds Quade for their votes?

Would the QRU have leveraged their voting rights to ensure that their biggest profile player remained with the team?

Would the Waratahs have done something similar to sign a marketing juggernaut?

Yes on both accounts...

T

TOCC

Fairly straightforward politics really, all parties achieved what they wanted to

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ironically(or perhaps not) it disappeared around the same time Folau was signed and the NSWRU happily gave up their majority veto powers within the ARU constitution.

There are a number of people that firmly believe that Constitutional reform cost the ARU $800 000 - $400k for Quade and $400 for IF.
Would the QRU have leveraged their voting rights to ensure that their biggest profile player remained with the team?

Would the Waratahs have done something similar to sign a marketing juggernaut?

Yes on both accounts.
Fairly straightforward politics really, all parties achieved what they wanted to

Normally I'm more than happy to believe anything negative about the mental giants at Driver Avenue, but we're straying into wakky baccy territory here.

My mail was that the ARU had them cold on rorting via ground rental but for some inexplicable reason never went on with it.

I think Folau came along much later.

T

TOCC

Normally I'm more than happy to believe anything negative about the mental giants at Driver Avenue, but we're straying into wakky baccy territory here.

My mail was that the ARU had them cold on rorting via ground rental but for some inexplicable reason never went on with it.

I think Folau came along much later.

You're right, ground rental may have very well been dropped for some other reasons...

As for the other topic though, both Quade and Izzy signed/re-signed in the 7 days before the member unions(state bodies) voted on the constitutional change which had both the QRU and NSWRU relinquish power.. Wakky baccy,,, perhaps

J

Josh Phillips

Although this is an interesting rumour, it is doubtful that it is: 1. True and 2. Related to a switch to the tahs. The last thing the Tahs currently need is another expensive, injury prone back who's predominate positions are easily covered by realiable play makers and try scorers in Bernard Foley, Rob Horne and Israel Folau and surely soon to be reunited Kurtley Beale.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
CB's the former Western Suburbs RFC licensed club, it's now part of Burwood RSL.

Burwood RSL was rebranded in late 2011 or early 2012 (I can't remember exactly). Both premises are now known as Club Burwood, even though the website is still www.burwoodrsl.com.au

Although this is an interesting rumour, it is doubtful that it is: 1. True

It was confirmed and announced last week.

James-OConner-Matt-Briggs_0028.jpg

Source: http://www.rugbynews.net.au/shute-shield-oconnor-a-perfect-fit-for-pirates/

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
All this time up at the Pirates will be conditional on his availability after Melbourne Rebels commitments. With his time spent at Scotch College and Brimbank RFC I think he's got stuff all time to play Rugby with the Pirates.

One article mentioned his desire to get back with he 'grassroots' of Footy; whilst admirable the cynic in me can't help but think of the dollars/brill cream/free roast nights at the RSL that he will get.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Can someone help - I'm a little confused? When Folau signed with UNi there was a lot of grinding of teeth about how he should have signed with parramatta or Penrith to promote the game out west. Now JOC (James O'Connor), arguably one of the highest profile players in OZ Rugby, has done just that (signing with a team west of Sydney central) and there seems to be people having problems with it and saying that it will do nothing to promote rugby in the western suburbs of Sydney.

JOC (James O'Connor) will have just as much time available as Folau would have had. The only difficulty will be if JOC (James O'Connor) stays in Melbourne which will restrict but not stop his promotional worth

In the know I think.

Peter Burge (5)
I was lucky enough to be at the photo shoot and meet the man. I like many were prepared for attitude and elevated self opinion but have to say he was one of the most down to earth and likeable young blokes I have met. He spent time with everyone who wanted to speak with him and stood for over an hour getting photos with Juniors, Players and a surprising number of girlfriends who miraculously appeared.
Feedback from Club Burwood Officials was exceptional and they feel he is well worth the small amount just by his interaction with the juniors and promotion of the game in the area.
I know I'm biased but even if he never plays he is a shot in the arm for Wests and Shute Shield rugby.
You can see the buoyant vibe at the Pirates on last Saturday's ABC coverage on and off the field, O'Connor's signing has added to it big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.