• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

James O'Connor signs with West Harbour. WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Can I ask what we're discussing on this thread.

Are we presuming that if the Force don't announce JOC (James O'Connor) is with them in 2014 (which looks unlikely because you'd imagine they'd of done it pre-Perth test) he will play for West Harbour (presuming no league or overseas union offer)?

Are we presuming or is it a fact? I've very confused.

Well done and Fuck you AFL - you've killed basketball in this country

I'd argue bball killed itself by committing to cable television when it was still in it's infancy.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Can I ask what we're discussing on this thread.

Are we presuming that if the Force don't announce JOC (James O'Connor) is with them in 2014 (which looks unlikely because you'd imagine they'd of done it pre-Perth test) he will play for West Harbour (presuming no league or overseas union offer)?

Are we presuming or is it a fact? I've very confused.

I'd argue bball killed itself by committing to cable television when it was still in it's infancy.

That's a real concern we should share for Rugby.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
I guess that the Wallabies Tests and RWC matches are on fta so its not completely hidden away. We dont exactly have a position of strength to negotiate from sadly...
The Sydney Kings was a massive brand in NSW so you couldnt really say it was in its infancy tho...

T

Train Without a Station

You would have to think in his reduced bargaining position with no other options, if the Force push him to commit with a Perth club, who doesn't have too much of a choice does he?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
That's a real concern we should share for Rugby.

Perhaps but we live in a different time now where a smaller professional game can survive on cable. The NBL weren't wrong to commit to cable for a big payout, but they jumped the gun (cable didn't have the same market penetration it does now).

Though the Wallabies getting progressively worse timeslots is a worry, Super Rugby on cable isn't too bad.

You would have to think in his reduced bargaining position with no other options, if the Force push him to commit with a Perth club, who doesn't have too much of a choice does he?

So, is the talk he's still going o the Force?

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
All gone quiet over here after the airport fiasco. Hopefully Gaffachino might have the inside scoop?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
All gone quiet over here after the airport fiasco. Hopefully Gaffachino might have the inside scoop?
Nothing really i have heard from others who attended a members forum that during the week of the Perth test JOC (James O'Connor) addressed most of the playing group and the feeling was that they want to give him a shot which there were going to do and had all but agreed to terms with everything to be finalised the week after the test.

Then the airport thing happened........

The Force is waiting on the ARU but i get the feeling they are still happy to have him pending the investigation so we will have to wait and see.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Just back onto the subject of West Harbour and apologies if I'm miles behind but I was happy to see the fellow Debrekcini (sp?) fellow snapped up by the Rebels.
I had heard that that great destoyer of Australian sport - the AFL were looking to poach him.
Well done and Fuck you AFL - you've killed basketball in this country - leave the other codes alone - christ the ARU is doing a good enough job of killing itself!

Yes, the substance test centre known as Essendon were looking to recruit him. Think he saw sense and realized that would be a terrible decision to play AFL with them, let alone at all. I wonder how their recruitment manager will go for the next few years trying to convince potential recruits that the club is well past that.

Haven't seen him play yet, but the buzz tells me he is an excellent 5/8 prospect. Smart investment through the EPS system again.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Nothing really i have heard from others who attended a members forum that during the week of the Perth test JOC (James O'Connor) addressed most of the playing group and the feeling was that they want to give him a shot which there were going to do and had all but agreed to terms with everything to be finalised the week after the test.

Then the airport thing happened....

The Force is waiting on the ARU but i get the feeling they are still happy to have him pending the investigation so we will have to wait and see.

Guessing they may add a few more behavioral clauses / KPIs for JOC (James O'Connor), i.e. no more tanties in public because you didn't get your seat.

With Buddy going to the Swans and BK settling back into 'tahland my money is still with him switching to the Bulldogs.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Guessing they may add a few more behavioral clauses / KPIs for JOC (James O'Connor), i.e. no more tanties in public because you didn't get your seat.

With Buddy going to the Swans and BK settling back into 'tahland my money is still with him switching to the Bulldogs.
Tahs fans better hope you are wrong

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A new thread has already started.

Sooo the ARU don't want to pay him a salary. Force seem to have cut him loose as well.

He has a contract to honour with the Pirates. Guess we will see Homebrand tearing it up at Concord oval pre-season training soon.

What a prospect for the Pirates in Shute Shield next year? Wing or Fullback?

I saw an advert in Seek.com for some labourer/forklift driver at Flemington Markets (probs Tolu Latu's old job). This would be ideal to keep him fit for the Pirates and provide him with some pocket money for the odd hair cut or two.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
A new thread has already started.

Sooo the ARU don't want to pay him a salary. Force seem to have cut him loose as well.

He has a contract to honour with the Pirates. Guess we will see Homebrand tearing it up at Concord oval pre-season training soon.

What a prospect for the Pirates in Shute Shield next year? Wing or Fullback?

I saw an advert in Seek.com for some labourer/forklift driver at Flemington Markets (probs Tolu Latu's old job). This would be ideal to keep him fit for the Pirates and provide him with some pocket money for the odd hair cut or two.

Have you even read the other threat? the Ball is in JOC (James O'Connor)'s court if he wants to play in Aus the Force are ahppy to have him if he wants to get on the right path and toe the line.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I guess it is hard for the Force to cut him loose, when they have not signed him. My bad.

He has been cut loose by the rebels.

My take on the presser from the Force is that there is almost no hope of JO'C signing with them, certainly on the current terms on the table.

I can't see the Force backing down on the behavioural expectations, and the $ that they are prepared to shell out are probably well below Homebrand's expectation, hence he can play with the Pirates in Shute Shield in 2014.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
I guess it is hard for the Force to cut him loose, when they have not signed him. My bad.

He has been cut loose by the rebels.

My take on the presser from the Force is that there is almost no hope of JO'C signing with them, certainly on the current terms on the table.

I can't see the Force backing down on the behavioural expectations, and the $ that they are prepared to shell out are probably well below Homebrand's expectation, hence he can play with the Pirates in Shute Shield in 2014.
you must have read something different to me than.......

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Of all the things that are unlikely in this world, surely James O'Connor playing Shute Shield on a regular basis for the West Harbour Pirates is about the unlikeliest.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
you must have read something different to me than...

However, at this point we believe it’s in James’ best interests to take time and reflect on what’s important to him and what he really wants.

“If that is being a part of this club and making a positive contribution to our club culture, then we’d be open to the prospect of continuing those discussions. Similarly, if he believes he would be better suited by taking some time away from Australian rugby, then we’d wish him nothing but the best with those endeavours.

We believe it is in his best interests to take time and work out what it is he REALLY wants.
If that is being part of us, we are open to a PROSPECT of continuing discussions.

My take is that the Force have cut off discussions and there is a PROSPECT that they may restart IF J'OC decides that he really wants to make a positive contribution to the Force Culture, otherwise they wish him luck.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Of all the things that are unlikely in this world, surely James O'Connor playing Shute Shield on a regular basis for the West Harbour Pirates is about the unlikeliest.

Who does JO'C have a Rugby contract with at the moment?
Wobs - NO
Reds - NO
Force - NO
Tahs - NO
Rebels - NO
Ponies - NO
Saffer or Kiwi Soup Team - NO
Pirates - YES

It would be the ultimate kick in the guts if the Pirates/Burwood RSL granted him an early release.

Status
Not open for further replies.