• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

James O'Connor signs with West Harbour. WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can someone help - I'm a little confused? When Folau signed with UNi there was a lot of grinding of teeth about how he should have signed with parramatta or Penrith to promote the game out west. Now JOC (James O'Connor), arguably one of the highest profile players in OZ Rugby, has done just that (signing with a team west of Sydney central) and there seems to be people having problems with it and saying that it will do nothing to promote rugby in the western suburbs of Sydney.

JOC (James O'Connor) will have just as much time available as Folau would have had. The only difficulty will be if JOC (James O'Connor) stays in Melbourne which will restrict but not stop his promotional worth

I think the majority of the posts about this arrangement have been overwhelmingly positive that he has signed for Wests, AND that it presents a great opportunity to market rugby to grass roots in the Concord and nearby area.

Some posters such as me, have asserted that it would not be a good move for the Tahs to sign him to a Tahs contract for 2014 given the current and possible 2014 roster.

There are plenty of Shute Shield players that are signed to Soup franchises other than the Tahs.

Kids (and Mums and Dads) just want to see a Wallaby at their club training, district gala day, presentation day etc. It only takes a little time commitment for the Wallaby in question, but this has a huge impact on the kiddies. Ultimately it is the kiddies who pay the salaries of the Wobs, through pester power when they are young, and by supporting the game when older. Most of the kiddies don't really give a fig for who the Wallaby is, what franchise they play for, or even if they are at the top of Dad's, Uncle Bob's, or Grandpa's alternate Wallaby Selection list or not.

Again, well done Pirates and Club Burwood.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not sure what to make of this headline in the SMH

"Buddy Franklin set to join GWS"

Many people believe that some of Homebrand's issues are related to his friendship with Franklin.

Is there any coincidence in Franklin coming up here, and Homebrand signing with the Pirates?

Also KB (Kurtley Beale). His move to Melbourne was apparently partly endorsed by many as it got him away from ratbag Sydney influences. So away he goes and he gets himself into mischief down there and everyone celebrates his return to Sydney to be near to family and stable influences. Now one of the alleged bad influeces from Melbourne is headed up our way. Sheesh. Can't win.

Who wants to borrow my tin foil hat?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Buddy Franklin's off-field behaviour does not seem to have affected his reputation as one of the AFLs very best players of the last twenty years. So they say, anyway.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well if he is trying to follow KB (Kurtley Beale), it might be working, Buddy seems likely to join the swans now

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good move to get JOC (James O'Connor) playing club footy in Sydney then if the wingman is also moving up here.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Big mistake by the Swans if true. They've been exceptionally effective in cultivating a clean, hard-working image. This move endangers that. And rumours of a NINE-year contract? Arruferreal?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Did you spot him in a tattoo parlour,or is it just a hunch?

A calculated hunch. 4 out of 5 soup teams don't want him and the last one isn't banging down the door to sign him. If they do he will have to a massive slice of humble pie; perhaps a serving too far? Bulldogs are looking for a fullback, he could feasibly play that position in league and he want to move to Sydney with buddy and KB (Kurtley Beale).

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Big mistake by the Swans if true. They've been exceptionally effective in cultivating a clean, hard-working image. This move endangers that. And rumours of a NINE-year contract? Arruferreal?

AFL are investigating the deal right now. Sounds like they aren't happy with the 9% living in Sydney allowance wasn't intended to be used in the way they are using it for Buddy. and a 9 year deal? Seriously, no one in ANY sport is EVER that good.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
AFL are investigating the deal right now. Sounds like they aren't happy with the 9% living in Sydney allowance wasn't intended to be used in the way they are using it for Buddy. and a 9 year deal? Seriously, no one in ANY sport is EVER that good.

This is really off topic, but how is the 9.8% allowance (that applies to Sydney and Brisbane) being used in any way other than what it was intended? It is a 9.8% allowance on every contract, it doesn't let them keep that extra amount from the salary cap and apply it to one player.

The Swans have taken a huge risk signing anyone for 9 years (that will take him through until he is 35) and they will have to manage him very carefully to make sure they get value out of him throughout that time.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
This is really off topic, but how is the 9.8% allowance (that applies to Sydney and Brisbane) being used in any way other than what it was intended? It is a 9.8% allowance on every contract, it doesn't let them keep that extra amount from the salary cap and apply it to one player.

The Swans have taken a huge risk signing anyone for 9 years (that will take him through until he is 35) and they will have to manage him very carefully to make sure they get value out of him throughout that time.

Without quoting an authoritative source it's intended purpose, when it was set up all those years ago, was to support new players establishing a home base in the tough property market of Sydney. With the price of property fairly relative between Melbourne and Sydney these days some are now referring to it as the 'Sydney eastern suburbs allowance'.

The argument is that property prices have increased in other Cities (Perth is an good example) and teams in those Cities don''t get the allowance. It's probably a case of make the allowance apply to clubs who really need it.

As a mate said to me, despite the Swans good list management and upcoming retirements, if they didn't have the allowance could they still be able to afford Buddy? I don't think so...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Without quoting an authoritative source it's intended purpose, when it was set up all those years ago, was to support new players establishing a home base in the tough property market of Sydney. With the price of property fairly relative between Melbourne and Sydney these days some are now referring to it as the 'Sydney eastern suburbs allowance'.

The argument is that property prices have increased in other Cities (Perth is an good example) and teams in those Cities don''t get the allowance. It's probably a case of make the allowance apply to clubs who really need it.

As a mate said to me, despite the Swans good list management and upcoming retirements, if they didn't have the allowance could they still be able to afford Buddy? I don't think so.

It has always been called a cost of living allowance but I think it has mostly been to help teams in Sydney and Brisbane who struggle to attract players an extra boost.

Most players are generally having to relocate to play outside of Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth and historically, going to Sydney or Brisbane means you are playing for a crap team. The cost of living allowance was to try and level the playing field.

The problem the AFL have now is that it is a distinct advantage for the Swans because they have been a relatively successful team for a long time and are renowned as having a great culture and being a great club to play for. They no longer have to pay above the odds to attract players to the club.

If Sydney lose that success and good culture they'll find they very quickly go back to struggling to attract players and having to pay above the odds to bring people to Sydney. At this point in time, there's nothing to suggest that Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS don't need the extra allowance to help attract players and it would be hard to remove it from the Swans without those clubs losing it too.

If the Swans didn't have the 9.8% allowance then I think they would have still been able to offer Franklin $8.2m over 9 years.

Edit: The Brisbane Lions lost their allowance after they won 3 premierships in a row.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
It has always been called a cost of living allowance but I think it has mostly been to help teams in Sydney and Brisbane who struggle to attract players an extra boost.

Most players are generally having to relocate to play outside of Melbourne, Adelaide or Perth and historically, going to Sydney or Brisbane means you are playing for a crap team. The cost of living allowance was to try and level the playing field.

The problem the AFL have now is that it is a distinct advantage for the Swans because they have been a relatively successful team for a long time and are renowned as having a great culture and being a great club to play for. They no longer have to pay above the odds to attract players to the club.

If Sydney lose that success and good culture they'll find they very quickly go back to struggling to attract players and having to pay above the odds to bring people to Sydney. At this point in time, there's nothing to suggest that Brisbane, Gold Coast and GWS don't need the extra allowance to help attract players and it would be hard to remove it from the Swans without those clubs losing it too.

If the Swans didn't have the 9.8% allowance then I think they would have still been able to offer Franklin $8.2m over 9 years.

Edit: The Brisbane Lions lost their allowance after they won 3 premierships in a row.

It would be a challenge to remove it, but I think it must be allocated proportionately on relative needs, i.e. in time when it's required (poor performance, low crowd attendance) then the AFL invest more money, in good times then remove the sucking pig from the proverbial AFL teat. If you look at the current example it's clear that Sydney don't really need the assistance and GWS do, therefore give them a greater slice of the pie.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
Just back onto the subject of West Harbour and apologies if I'm miles behind but I was happy to see the fellow Debrekcini (sp?) fellow snapped up by the Rebels.
I had heard that that great destoyer of Australian sport - the AFL were looking to poach him.
Well done and Fuck you AFL - you've killed basketball in this country - leave the other codes alone - christ the ARU is doing a good enough job of killing itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.