• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japan Super Rugby team

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
There are already annual regional tournaments in every part of the world. I think there just needs to be 2 extra tournaments every 4 years: a genuine European Championship (12 or 16 teams) and a Confederations Cup (16 teams) for everyone else. Maybe eventually you could split the latter into 2 or 3 different tournaments, but it'd take a lot of time to get to that point.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I know that there's regional tournaments everywhere, but big ones where everybody's involved.

Maybe two 16 team tournaments would work best.

Europe and North America in one. (Six Nations, ERC Div1A, promoted team from 1B, Canada, States and the next best North American side).

Then Rugby Championship, the 4 remaining PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) sides. 3 teams from South America, 3 teams from Africa and 2 teams from Asia.

Would form the basis of expanding to 24 team and eventually a 32 team world cup.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Could we make the six nations a 8 nations tournament with Georgia and Romania added and with promotion / relegation for top of remaining enc versus Botton of 8 nations playoff

Would protect major unions short term whilst growing game and making only slightly longer competition.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
French would think the comp is too long.

With the likely expansion of the Aviva Prem imminent, they would probably think so too.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
To those who accused me of racism. Look at my new rugby jersey

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1444961622706.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1444961622706.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 237

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I guess we should start hearing more news from the Sunwolves over the coming weeks now that Japan's world cup is over.

I just hope whoever they pick as coach will continue Eddie Jones 'Japan way' philosophy of playing. Japan will go backwards if their new coach implements a more orthodox style of game.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd say the whole pack would've been non-Japanese except that there are no foreign front rowers who go over to Japan to play.

T

TOCC

I'd say the whole pack would've been non-Japanese except that there are no foreign front rowers who go over to Japan to play.

Why, Japan actually have a good scrum and their props had high workrates around the ground. Shota Horie is also a quality hooker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is this the proof that some need to support their hypothesis that Japanese are genetically small, weak and not suitable to play Rugby?

boris-rugby-port-2_3472979b.jpg

Pic: Daily Telegraph

Full Story here:

Boris Johnson reported to be expecting a call up to the England RWC 2019 squad.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Japan using players who qualify via the residency rule or through relatives but born over seas to bolster their forward pack, is not HUGELY different to us using any player with tongan, samoan or fijian backgrounds..or UAE, Zimbabwe, New Guinea, New Zealand etc to bolster our own 'Aussie' stocks.

They got broadhurst, thompson, ives, mafi, tui, holani, wing & sau who could I suppose be classed as 'non japanese'...

We got Sio, TPN, Kepu, Pocock, genia, Quade, tomane, speight, palu, kuridrani, and folau.....not to mention naiyaravoro, maafu, faulkner, smith, cowan, timani, skelton, sautia, Fainga'a, Fainga'a, tapuai and betham who are all capped....Some were born here, some weren't.

So for example, why is Japan using Samoan BORN players different to us using Samoan BORN players....?

Is Hendrick Tui less Japanese then Henry Speight is Australian?

Kosei Ono moved to NZ at age 3!, played his footy at Christchurch Boys High.....does this make him a NZ import? Does this mean Japan can't produce flyhalves either?