• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Japan Super Rugby team

T

TOCC

What exactly is you point MHCS?
These broad genetics statements about the Japanes people are cringeworthy to read.

Japan as a test team have beaten other rugby playing nations int he world, including Wales, Italy, Fiji and Tonga in the past 5 years.. that's the real measure of of their rugby playing ability and the only one I care about. A Japanese Super Rugby team will need a few foreign players to be truly competitive, but Japan with an improved professional structure will be able to field a competitive team drawing from the current pool of players.

We can now add South Africa to that list...

Japan has now defeated Wales, Italy, Fiji, Tonga and South Africa in the past 5 years... They are a country on the rise, the increase in professionalism is lifting their standard of competitiveness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

10 of the players who beat South Africa have been signed for the Japan Super Rugby team, and Reds flanker Ed Quirk

JAPAN is now set to get the green light to enter Super Rugby next year, with a 2016 draw to be released in weeks featuring 18 teams.

There have been genuine fears about the ability of Japan to field and sustain a competitive outfit, and SANZAR officials privately discussed holding the 2016 tournament without them.
But in the last few days organisers of the Japanese Super side have submitted plans and a roster of players – including Queensland Reds flanker Ed Quirk and around 10 players involved in Japan’s famous World Cup win over South Africa – to appease fears.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
10 of the players who beat South Africa have been signed for the Japan Super Rugby team, and Reds flanker Ed Quirk

Good news, especially if it's among their best 10. Goromaru and Mafi would be very handy in any side.

However, they're going to need more than that, and are still likely to get smashed next year IMO.

This just gets them to the start line.

They still need to be repatriating players like Tui (sorry Reds).

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I doubt Quirk will be the last, or the best of their foreign signings.

From the JRFU's perspective it may be better to have a few of their players in other super rugby teams. That means more Japanese Super Rugby players in total and more depth for the national team leading into the 2019 World Cup.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's great! No doubt the awareness of the 2019 World Cup will have increased too. It's a pity Scotland ran away with it in the end and that Japan got treated so harshly by the referee. Hopefully a lot of those 20 million will back up for the Samoa match.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good news, especially if it's among their best 10. Goromaru and Mafi would be very handy in any side.

However, they're going to need more than that, and are still likely to get smashed next year IMO.

This just gets them to the start line.

They still need to be repatriating players like Tui (sorry Reds).

Still waiting to see who are the 10 players from national side.....

T

TOCC

Rugby World Cup in Japan will be massive for rugby union support in that country, the commercial implications for Australia and New Zealand given the time zone similarities is also fairly substantial.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Eddie delivers a broadside slam to the JRFU.

Truth is, this could all still be a clusterf**k.

No 2nd thoughts for Jones as he tells JRFU they need to improve

Eddie Jones said Monday he hoped the Brave Blossoms' stunning start to this year's Rugby World Cup would kickstart a revival in the sport in Japan.​

But he wasn't totally convinced that would happen with the current administration still in place, and admitted that was one of the reasons he will leave Japan after the World Cup to coach the Cape Town-based Stormers, after having originally agreed to be director of rugby at Japan's new Super Rugby side.​
... "This is like a balloon. It can be popped or it can be a real growth spurt. It's entirely the responsibility of the JRFU."​

"To keep improving things have to change. I couldn't go back after the World Cup and do what I have done for the last four years because we are not going to improve enough within the current structures. I know enough about rugby to know that."​

... "I am surprised Super Rugby is going ahead but maybe there were legal ramifications. But I am not privy to that," Jones said. "It just hasn't got the right infrastructure in place to be successful and it could end up doing more harm than good."​
...​

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2015/09/376663.html

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So we have Japan and Argentina entering super rugby conferences next year which gotta be good (noting Japan may have teetching problems but from commercial perspective we want this to work)....

Been keen to have pacific island countries join at next stage of super rugby expansion...Candidate for me is fiji given seven's brand and pedigree to build on for 'commercial' success

Is this realistic or just a pipe dream for me?

T

TOCC

Pacific Island teams are administratively a basket case, the only way i see a pacific island's team been successful is if it is run by an independent commercial body and its based in somewhere like Auckland, Sydney or even Singapore(however unlikely).

Fiji, Samoa and Tonga don't have the economic base to support a Super Rugby team, however if it were based in Australia, New Zealand or Singapore they might be able to leverage some of the domestic commercial support.

In saying that I think the NZRU and ARU would oppose to having a team based in their respective countries due to the fear it would cannibalise their own commercial support, and thus can't see it ever occurring.

RunnerGunner

Frank Nicholson (4)
Would it not make sense for say the Force and the Rebels to have a deal with a PI nation to play a game or two there a year. Agree to sign a couple of Island players

Don't Fiji have a bit of cash now, I'm sure their union would like a bit of pro rugby to be played there and keep a few players closer to home.

born-red

Chris McKivat (8)
Aussie teams should now scrap that separate contracting system for Japanese players. They can now play in Super Rugby for their own nation. Guys like Tui, Tanaka, Inagaki & Leitch, should be staying there if they want to keep playing for Japan (like the Arg team is doing).

There are those aswell who have played Super Rugby, like Horie, Sau and Tatekawa that should also play for them, considering they were happy to player over here (though I appreciate there are sometimes deals done between Top 14 teams and ours).