• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jarryd Hayne signs with Fiji Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Call me cynical, but I have a suspicion that a sufficiently sizeable administrative fee paid in US dollars might help the Fijian powers that be appreciate his 7s potential. At least as a squad member. If he qualifies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Getting reported that he will probably not be able to play any sport, including 7s for 6 months because the NFL doesn't follow WADA guidelines.

I saw that too but then Nate Ebner has gone from playing NFL last season to the US Rugby 7s team and is very likely to make their Olympics team.

I wonder if his return this year was delayed by a series of drug tests after the NFL season? There was a fair gap between him playing NFL and his first 7s tournament.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Does Fiji have the same reciprocal rights that allow Australians to get British Passports?

The British passport is highly sought after because of the desire Aussies have to be able to live and work in the UK and Europe.

When I got my UK passport it was back in the days when dual citizenship was not recognised.

But whatever, I was just making the point that if he wants a Fijian passport, he is certainly eligible for one. (And if he wasnt't, I am sure that the Fijian Government would bend the rules if they wanted to).

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
http://bit.ly/1XtaW7v

Theres the link for those interested.

Yeah - I wonder if Ebner has been through the intensive drug pool mentioned in the article.

If that is true, is a big chance to Aussie rugby. Jarryd said that he only return to the NRL to play for Eels, now they have too much problems about the salary cap. He isn't famous in European rugby, so his best chance is Super Rugby and Test rugby. Cheika, Tahs CEO, Reds CEO, Bill Pulver or someone should talk to him

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
If that is true, is a big chance to Aussie rugby. Jarryd said that he only return to the NRL to play for Eels, now they have too much problems about the salary cap. He isn't famous in European rugby, so his best chance is Super Rugby and Test rugby. Cheika, Tahs CEO, Reds CEO, Bill Pulver or someone should talk to him
Don't worry mate, his agent Wayne Beavis has been around long enough to be having these conversations if there's any possibilty

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Cheika, Tahs CEO, Reds CEO, Bill Pulver or someone should talk to him

Knowing his attitude from NRL which may have taken a hit after not making it at NFL, I'd rather than Reds passed on him. The dude has way too much baggage to be coming into a young impressionable Reds side. If the ARU approached him, it reeks worse than the coups of the early 2000's for Sailor, Rogers etc.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think it's terrible news. Imagine the bull that will come out of the League commentators if he goes back to league? Dominated league, dominated NFL and sought out by Fiji for Olympic silver. Spare me please.

Btw. Think he's a great player and wish him luck. Just wish he'd thought about me before he decided.

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I get the moral outrage people are expressing on behalf of the poor Fijians, arguably favourites to win the first olympic gold medal in rugby since 1924, but if they're happy to undermine team culture by including a rookie Australian league player from Western Sydney then by all means, they should be supported to do so.

Improves our chances at winning the bloody thing.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Let's wait and see what happens before getting all frothed up, chaps.

Ben Ryan seems like a pretty competent coach. I would back his judgement over all the armchair pundits.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What a joke, but I won't be losing any sleep over it. I hope that Pulver isn't tempted sign him up for some ludicrous contract and have him do five eighths of fuck all in rugby like he did in the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.