• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Jarryd Hayne signs with Fiji Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Here's a conspiracy theory.
It's just a way for his manager to try and put pressure on the NRL to make some sort of salary cap exception so Hayne can go to a NRL club (Rosters) and keep them under the salary cap, by saying look my boy has a lot of options.

I don't think so, especially not in the current climate with the fallout of the Salary Cap scandal still fresh, the NRL couldn't then turn around and then grant their own exemption after severely punishing one of the clubs.

The NRL is worried that any use of the extra funds to retain or recruit players would set a dangerous precedence, if the NRL use it to retain Inglis from defecting to union, then any time another star player like Milford, Cronk,etc come up for renegotiation the managers will play the same defection card in an attempt to extract more money.

Likewise in terms of recruiting players, many of the Mungos would be up in arms that money is been invested to recruit players and not retain the 'loyal' ones.

NRL salary cap now allows the top players to earn over $1million a season, Hayne will return to the NRL on 2017 on a multi-million contract.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
I would be surprised if hayne didn't make the squad, if he was only an outside chance why would he bother.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I would be surprised if hayne didn't make the squad, if he was only an outside chance why would he bother.

It might happen (Leicester City won the EPL, so I'm not ruling anything out in sport) but I'd be really surprised purely from a conditioning point of view. By the time he's in decent enough shape the Olympics would have started - that's too much of a gamble to take.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Mmmm. A chance at a gold medal in Rio Janeiro, or a return to the local Little League with his tail between his legs?

Which would you choose?

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
News out off Sydney this morning, that Hayne was a recipient of certain "incentives" whilst at Parramatta. He denies it saying that those things were handled by his manager, "behind closed doors". He also said that if The Eels paid him the big dollars "they must have put the money in the wrong bank account, because I didn't see any of it"!!

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Mmmm. A chance at a gold medal in Rio Janeiro, or a return to the local Little League with his tail between his legs?

His tail is already between his legs after such a shocking NFL 'career'. They hyped him up way too much and he didn't deliver the goods (which is fine due to the different style of games).

BUT, I would dare say that 'retiring' from the NFL before he was pushed and then failing to make the Sevens squad would be more of an insult than if he accepted he could make it in NFL and then went back to NRL. No-one would blame him for giving another code a crack, it not working and then returning to what he knows.

You could easily chuck in some stupid corporate mantra of 'failing forwards' or 'safe to fail environment' and no-one would be giving him shit as well.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
News out off Sydney this morning, that Hayne was a recipient of certain "incentives" whilst at Parramatta. He denies it saying that those things were handled by his manager, "behind closed doors".
Apparently it's very common in League. There was an interesting article recently on it. Basically only the stupid clubs get caught.
It's best to deal in cash and keep everything off the books.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/le...essions-of-an-nrl-bagman-20160508-gop7ys.html[/quote]

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
There is a very long history of "boot money" - including in our code.

Banknotes being hidden in players' shoes in the changing rooms.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
This makes no sense at all, Fiji have the best 7's players in the world and the "reach out" with an offer to an NFL payer to come and play in Rio for them??? Hayne been playing for them already under another name or something?

It makes perfect sense. Fiji aren't short of players, they're short of money. Desperately so. Ben Ryan had to pay his own way for four months when he started coaching them. Hayne is not just a drawcard but makes Fiji a potential sponsorship target, not because of his skills, but because of the amount of press coverage he's generated, and his Australian fanbase. Even a small deal from an Australian business with its hooks into NRL would transform their ability to fund their game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe Hayne can be their 13th man. Do all the media interviews and press conferences, train and warm up with the team but not actually play. Attract the media attention and hopefully extra sponsorship dollars.

It would be kind of like last year in the NFL.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Maybe Hayne can be their 13th man. Do all the media interviews and press conferences, train and warm up with the team but not actually play. Attract the media attention and hopefully extra sponsorship dollars.

It would be kind of like last year in the NFL.

He could be their "Wally".

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I hate Jarryd Hayne:

Hayne's explanation for choosing Fiji over Australia have been shot to pieces

When asked why he hadn’t opted to trial for the Aussie squad, he simply replied:

“Because they didn’t ask me.”

On the contrary, they did.

Speculation around Hayne’s potential to play sevens has been rife since late 2014 when the former Parramatta Eel announced his intention to play in the NFL.

At the time, former Australian Sevens coach Geraint John left an open invitation to Hayne in case his NFL dream didn’t work out — and he couldn’t have expressed more interest in the Hayne Plane if he tried.

“If he doesn’t make it in NFL, his next port of call should be Narrabeen (the Australian sevens headquarters),” John told the Daily Telegraph.

“If you want another new challenge, come to sevens and try the Olympic challenge. It’s right on your doorstep.”

John went on to praise Hayne’s decision to move to the United States and tried to sell the Sevens opportunity even harder.

If that’s not an offer to play sevens for Australia, there will never be one clear enough to get Hayne over the line.

He simply chose Fiji over Australia.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/j...e/news-story/8cb1b69266a8b412890c051d375af2c8

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I do not have an issue with choosing Fiji if he is eligible. (Personally I believe you should play for where you are born but that is best left for another discussion)

Playing for Fiji has more potential to help rugby that if he played for Australia, especially if he then plays 15's.

My only issue is that he appears to have lied

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Alternatively, the actual current coach may not have been as welcoming.

(And fair enough to - he doesn't need the distraction)

Got any quotes from anyone in the current setup?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Playing for Fiji has more potential to help rugby that if he played for Australia, especially if he then plays 15's.

Are you serious? Our game is currently getting huge coverage: Hayne is a media darling.

Our only big drawcard these days is Folau. We could use a few months of Hayne-related speculation and interest.

If he does play for Fiji Sevens, watch the ratings go up.

If he plays 15s for Fiji, what benefit will that produce? Again, maybe some sponsorship.

Status
Not open for further replies.