• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

JOC (James O'Connor) Gooonne

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm not against the idea of JOC (James O'Connor) playing Rugby overseas in Japan or Europe. While some players just take their problems with them no matter where they are - sometimes the change can be good. Playing overseas away from Oz may well give him the opportunity to see just what he had here. Sometimes people just can't comprehend what they have till they are forced to go without it. That being said I hope he signs with the Force.

Given the possible outcomes listed by Baron I'd say:
"Goes to the Force" - taking a huge pay cut to stay in Oz Rugby would be quite a positive move from JOC (James O'Connor)
"Goes overseas to play Rugby" - I'd prefer him go to the Force but I could still see some positives from this move, he could come back in a better state of mind than before
"Goes to Loig" - all bets are off, the bridge will have been burnt, never to be reconstructed again :p

My view of the JOC (James O'Connor) saga hasn't changed from this. Hopefully playing overseas will see about some positive changes & he'll come back better.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
tp1Ak.gif

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
@Tex It'll be all about "new challenges", "seeing the world", and "developing as a person".

Cat's rant:
Mr O'Connor you asked me on twitter a bit over a year ago who I am to criticise you and what have I done. Your insinuation was that I don't have the right to an opinion.

Well, James, in light of your leaving for "new challenges" I've prepared a list of things I have done that you have not. While you're in Europe developing as a person or whatever your PR will spin, perhaps you could knock some of these off too:
  • I've drunk from a premiership cup.
  • I've been a part of a rugby team that has won trophies.
  • As part of a mixed netball team in my social comp I made a GF and played hungover. The point is I have played in a grand final of a sport.
  • I have worked for a shit wage so I could prove I was committed to changing my career path. It worked.
  • My employer has opted to renew my contract. They even gave me more money.
  • I've figured out that personal development has fuck all to do with international travel and everything to do with realising you have your head up your arse and when people think you're a dickhead they probably have a good point. You don't need to play a game internationally to do this. I did this from the comfort of my loungeroom, and it isn't nearly as luxurious as yours will be.
END RANT

I'm so disappointed. I would've loved to see him have the balls to go back to where he's screwed up before because it's a really hard thing to do. It would've taken a heap of courage and humility and damn it would've made me respect him more.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
For his own development, it would be ideal for him to go to a club playing Heineken Cup rugby, that has an old lock who'll take none of his shit.

Paul O'Connell at Munster and Al Kellock at Glasgow spring to mind, but I'm sure there's plenty more possibilities.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
This would have been worse news a month ago, but I'm optimistic about Oz rugby just now, especially in the backs. Tomane's last game was a cracker, Folau is dynamite, Cummins has mongrel, Kuridrani's made of potential and even Pete Betham, who must have been 10th choice 3 months ago played well and showed incredible passion during the anthem.

We'll be fine without JOC (James O'Connor).

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
And he'll be fine without Aus rugby too.

Catch a spot in a French team near the Mediterranean, snack on baguettes and post selfies on instagram of his awesome new worldly life, free from the constraints and expectations of the ARU.

Good riddance.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
How long until JOC (James O'Connor) makes the headlines again for the wrong reason? I'm giving it 2 months tops.

T

Train Without a Station

I'd say if JOC (James O'Connor) does well over there, we likely will never see him back. I hope he makes a motza in his time there, because once he retires he'll have zero profile and fuck all endorsements leaving coaching as probably the only route for him to go as an ex player. And I'd be pretty fucking shocked if he ever makes a semi-decent coach.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I wonder if he will just play the current european season as a medical joker and then return to Aus next july.

M

Moono75

Nothing like earning back the respect of your team mates and Australian rugby supporters by doing it from Europe. He has opted to enroll in an integrity and personal development course........he'll be completing it by correspondence!

I'm not sure who is advising JOC (James O'Connor) but if he wanted to earn back a lot of respect he would have played in OZ on a reduced contract and proved he was committed to changing his ways. This smacks of chasing the dollars in Europe with the expectation he will come back to OZ and get a free ride back into the Wallabies team. Bad form!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
How many years of solid graft and loyalty from Sir George Smith did it take for him to earn the "free pass" back into the Wobs?

Can't see Link at the Brisbane Airport Customs and Immigration arrival point, with a Gold Jumper in a bag, waiting for him to come back home.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Why does anyone think that JOC (James O'Connor) believes he needs to win back trust/respect from Joe Public?
And why would he believe he needs to sacrifice hundreds of thousands to do it?
I supported the ARU's decision to withdraw his top up.
Chasing euros was a logical reaction.
I can't see franchises and the ARU chasing him hard in a few years time.
He was in a position to be one of our most capped players,now it would appear he will retire with 30 odd caps.Not shabby,but not great.
I won't lose any sleep over it.Don't care if he does or he doesn't.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Because when he had his ARU contract torn up he said that he needed to win back the respect etc. He also said he was determined to work his way back in to the Wallabies, yet he has now signed overseas where he cannot be selected for the Wallabies. They weren't our words, they were his less than a month ago.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I am disappointed to see him gone, but he does mention short stint O/S, not gone for years.

Australian Rugby has a shallow enough talent pool as it is. Losing players like Gits, JOC (James O'Connor) & Digby overseas doesn't really help that situation. Not unless they come back before the World Cup anyway.

Perhaps he's heading for the "Edinburgh of the South"? See what the Highlanders announce tomorrow anyway

M

Moono75

How many years of solid graft and loyalty from Sir George Smith did it take for him to earn the "free pass" back into the Wobs?

Can't see Link at the Brisbane Airport Customs and Immigration arrival point, with a Gold Jumper in a bag, waiting for him to come back home.

George was very much a true servant of Australian Rugby and his return to the Wallabies was a case of 'break glass in case of emergency'. He answered the call when his country called apon him one more time. What a hero....national treasure stuff :)

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Good luck to him. Plenty of good players have been to europe and back, some probably benefited from the experience.

Or at the end of the day if he just enjoys playing rugby and having fun off the field he might enjoy europe a bit more.

Anyway, it was always great to watch him at NiB playing for the force. Now some europeans can enjoy that.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
After reading the quote from O'Connor, he'll be back in July next year, and quite possibly with the force in 2015.

Even if he does tear it up overseas I don't expect the ARU + Force money will be significantly better at this time next year. Might be a case of making hay while the sun shines overseas because he knows he's not worth much in Australian rugby any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom