• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

JOC (James O'Connor) Gooonne

Status
Not open for further replies.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Worked well the Highlanders Last season...

JOC (James O'Connor) is to young to signed with them after last years so called big signings

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Really? I think that comment doesn't really consider the skills of those two that have allowed them to flourish in the north, or the balance of the teams they play in.

I respect your point of view. Having watched all the televised games in the Heineken cup for the last two rounds, I would suggest that they have starring roles in their respective sides and are still fundamentally not good players. JOC (James O'Connor) whatever his many faults are is still a massive step up in quality over those two.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I tried to explain to a league friend what it was that James has done to be not offered a contract.

There was a food fight, he slept in and missed an important sponsors photo shoot, he ordered a burger from Hungry Jacks in the wee hours in the week before a big match, he went on an all night bender after losing a test series, and he showed up to an airport drunk while on leave.

Is there anything else? Or are we just bitter that he talks about having a brand?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I tried to explain to a league friend what it was that James has done to be not offered a contract.

There was a food fight, he slept in and missed an important sponsors photo shoot, he ordered a burger from Hungry Jacks in the wee hours in the week before a big match, he went on an all night bender after losing a test series, and he showed up to an airport drunk while on leave.

Is there anything else? Or are we just bitter that he talks about having a brand?
I think there's a lot of resentment towards JOC (James O'Connor) because he seems to be pissing his prodigious talent down the drain through regular selfish behaviour and antics that disrespect the privilege of representing the Wallabies.
Is he an axe murderer, no. He should face charges of "regularly behaving like a selfish cock"
The indiscretions you mention are recent, but he's left a trail of poor behaviour and disrespect for his club, country and team mates in Perth, Melbourne, Paris etc

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'm not saying I disagree with his not being offered a contract. But when I try and explain the reasons, they're not compelling.

The league fan asked how his form had been during these indiscretions. For all his late nights and bad behaviour he's played really well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
His form may have been OK, but in rugby there is more of a focus on the team as a whole, and the contributions an individual makes to the total environment of the team both on and off the field.

The fact that so few of his peers have come out in his defence would suggest that there is some substance to the rumours of Homebrand inspired toxicity within the team, that goes deeper than the public misdemeanours we know about.

Maybe we need to call him the Iceberg. We only get to see 1/8 of what is going on.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Yes, it was striking that the Rebels kicked him out whilst trying to retain KB (Kurtley Beale), who had a longer list of serious issues, both external and within the team.

It's got to be that he just isn't a team man, a negative influence on those he is around, even whilst his on-field form is good.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
@Moses

All these indiscretions being relatively minor gives credence to the rumors about him being an absolute monster behind closed doors.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
From what I've heard from those in the know (who are all pretty happy to speak about it in casual conversation) he's just an arrogant prick. He expects a lot of responsibility to be bestowed on him because he thinks he's great (RUPA Rep, leadership roles, etc) and that shits everyone.

I think it's more testament to the power of being nice to people rather than him 'being a monster'.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
he ordered a burger from Hungry Jacks in the wee hours in the week before a big match

I think it was what they'd been up to in the hours leading up to the 4am burger that probably upset teammates and officials..........

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Just announced by Force that O'Connor is off to Europe.

So glad to see him committed to "earning back the respect of his teammates" and "paying his dues in rugby" like he said he wanted to do when the ARU dropped him.

FFS I don't think he can even spell integrity

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not expecting an honest explanation why the talks broke down.

Needless to say, my suspicions about his intent and ego have sadly been confirmed. I look forward to seeing how his defenders and apologists spin this.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well thats me done iv lost all respect for the guy and not because he wont be at the Force next year but because he has taken the easy option and run after the money.

Just shows that he doesnt respect the Gold jersey his team mates or the rugby fans of australia.

Have fun in Europe dont come back you money hungry drop kick.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Emirates Western Force’s discussions with James O’Connor on a possible return to the club in 2014 have come to an end following his decision to take up a playing opportunity in Europe.

The Force had been in talks with O’Connor with the possibility of the utility back returning to the club in accordance with the non-negotiable standards and values the club has worked hard to put in place.

Following the Australian Rugby Union’s decision to not offer him a contract in 2014, the Force encouraged him to take time away from rugby to consider his playing future and to assess if he felt his development would be best achieved in Australian rugby.

“We have been informed by James directly that he intends to continue his playing career in Europe for the time being, The Western Force and RugbyWA wish him well in these endeavours,” RugbyWA CEO Mark Sinderberry said.

“The Western Force has laid strong foundations of standards and values – particularly around earning respect – and our discussions with James included on- and off-field programs that we believed could assist him in becoming the player he aspires to be and to develop himself as a person.

“James has made the decision that is right for him at this point in his playing career and the club remains open to recommencing these discussions again in the future if James wishes to return to Australian rugby.”

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
It's a shame this has turned out how it has.

James could have made a great contribution to Australian Rugby. But the euros would be pretty lucrative at the moment.

I think it shows the importance of strong team culture above all. Cooper had the same offers on the table this time last year, but he had a whole organisation in his corner and a group of teammates who he respected and who respected him. Much different outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.