• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

JOC (James O'Connor) Gooonne

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Have at look at James O'Connors Facebook page. He's responding to Marto's comments and frankly it's pretty impressive. Not something that I ever thought I'd say in regard to Bieber. Well worth a look.

Agreed. Unless we know the full story, some of the comments here are harsh too.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Have at look at James O'Connors Facebook page. He's responding to Marto's comments and frankly it's pretty impressive. Not something that I ever thought I'd say in regard to Bieber. Well worth a look.

Yes I read James o'connors Facebook page. Well
Written post by young James and shows the quality of the man he has become and the grub Greg Martin has become.

I am personally so sick of the treatment of young footballers who make some mistakes that has not led to anything criminal yet they are treated as such.

I have always defended James o'connor on his return and dissappointed with those so judgemental to crucify him for past indiscretions he has owned but in truth are not earth shattering. He has not bashed his partner or done something illegal yet treated as
if he has.

Leave the guy alone..pressures on young men like this in public arena are immense..and Facebook post indicates he suffers depression which public criticism overdone not helped.

I feel his treatment since his return from Europe
Is more a poor reflection on Australian media then player himself.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Obviously written by lawyer, perhaps with a PR person as well.
Most likely, but when you've been called the names he's been called in the last couple of days, he has certainly the right to reply. I am definitely no James O'Connor fan, however given his poor choices in the last few years, he could have chosen to reply in a manner more befitting the image many of us have of him. He didn't, and all credit to him in this instance.

T

TOCC

One thing which stood out to me, and its the main reason i was reluctant to criticise him in the first instance was the mention of 'personal reasons', we aren't privy to what this means specifically, but mental health is at time associated with that phrase.

I've atteneded far too many funerals in recent years for young men whose lives were taken early due to mental health issues, i do believe its a real issue in society and i don't think its something which should be taken lightly. I can't say for certain that JOC (James O'Connor) is going through such circumstances but there are enough cues to suggest that could be part of the equation.

JOC (James O'Connor) deserves his fair share of criticism for what he has done over his playing career, his list of off-field and on-field misdemeanours speaks volumes. Yet when it comes to the latest subject, i don't think outright criticism directed at JOC (James O'Connor) is the right course of action.

If he is using the subject as a means to escape his contract, then yes he is a absolute twat and deserves all the criticism he gets, but in the off chance it is a real issue for him then ferociously attacking his character achieves nothing and could contribute to the issue further.

JOC (James O'Connor) is gone from Australian rugby, lets move on, the Rugby World Cup is the priority.

T

Tip

JOC (James O'Connor) deserves his fair share of criticism for what he has done over his playing career, his list of off-field and on-field misdemeanours speaks volumes.

Deserved.

He's already copped the criticism. Time to move on. To keep criticizing 18 months on is poor form, from Marto and a wholeee lotta other posters on this forum. (Not you TOCC, that was a very good post)

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Fair play, that was a good response. But it conveniently fails to address how he has walked away from the Reds after they made significant changes to get him in the side. The mental health issue to my mind is a smoke screen to conceal the fact that he has essentially thrown his toys out of the cot because he didn't make the Wallabies, but with mental health being the sacred cow it is you aren't allowed to call him on it as Marto did. The whole "lack of scrutiny" argument as his reason to move to France again is weak and I don't buy it, I think it's about money.

TLDR: Fuck that guy.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
And I will add, you have seen the last of JOC (James O'Connor) in Australian Rugby, no ones gonna touch him now. Too many burnt bridges.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I think it's a bunch of woe-is-me pearl clutching over some relatively uncontroversial comments. If O'Connor wants everyone to be so understanding of the motivations for going back to France he might like to actually allude to what they are. Playing the 'mental health' card doesn't really wash with me when it happens to coincide with going to a job that pays a shitload more cash. Are there no therapists in Brisbane?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He already had a contract with Toulon for the current season.

People are acting like his Reds contract has ended so he can go back to France. That isn't the case at all. What has changed is that he isn't coming back for Super Rugby next year.

Regardless of any mental health issues it seems like a reasonable conclusion for both him and the Reds to come too.

JOC (James O'Connor) must know his body won't hack back to back seasons and the Reds must know they won't get value out of a player who has just played a full season in France.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It's an excellent spray and I hope Martin feels like shit!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Why would Marto feel like shit?
Cos JOC (James O'Connor)'s ghost writer makes vague references to a mental health issue that he doesn't specify,or acknowledge actually exists??
I think it's poor form from JOC (James O'Connor) .Either he keeps it to himself,as his his right(in the event he is suffering an illness).
Or he discloses it,if he wants to use it to condemn Marto.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Loved the first comment on JOC (James O'Connor)'s essay...
q74GhOX.png

T

Tip

Why would Marto feel like shit?
Cos JOC (James O'Connor)'s ghost writer makes vague references to a mental health issue that he doesn't specify,or acknowledge actually exists??
I think it's poor form from JOC (James O'Connor) .Either he keeps it to himself,as his his right(in the event he is suffering an illness).
Or he discloses it,if he wants to use it to condemn Marto.

If I was depressed, and had just managed to get myself our of a clusterfuck of a situation that wasn't helping my mental health...

I most definitely would not be telling the world about it.

I think what JOC (James O'Connor) was trying to say was "don't jump to conclusions when you see someone released from a contract for Personal reasons" - Which is an extremely valid point.

Not saying whether he is, or isn't as it's none of my business.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
is it jumping to conclusions if you take into account his behaviour over many years?

My point still stands,you can't play the mental health card,unless you acknowledge that an illness actually exists.
If JOC (James O'Connor) does not wish to discuss this,then don't raise it!
Simple!

there were 15 other paragraphs in the statement he could have relied upon,without raising this as an issue.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
is it jumping to conclusions if you take into account his behaviour over many years?

My point still stands,you can't play the mental health card,unless you acknowledge that an illness actually exists.
If JOC (James O'Connor) does not wish to discuss this,then don't raise it!
Simple!

there were 15 other paragraphs in the statement he could have relied upon,without raising this as an issue.

But really, what behaviour? He's actually done very little wrong. People don't like him because of how they perceive his personality to be, not what he's done.

A food fight. Burger King. Sleeping in. Those are the sophomoric indescretions of a teenager, which is essentially what he was.

Being refused passage on a flight for being drunk is obviously a no-no for such a high-profile sports personality, and deserved a strong reprimand, but that's about it.

What has done him in, ironically, is his brand. He's totally up himself.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
He is objecting to Marto calling him an"immature twat"& "a little young punk"

Those sophomoric indiscretions are some examples of his past behaviour,and are pretty much the actions of an immature twat aren't they?

Agree totally that his brand is on the nose.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Calling Adam Thomson one of the greats of the modern game seems a bit of a stretch. Class Super Rugby player and sometimes All Black would be about it. Seems like a great guy, but modern great is ridiculous.

I look forward to Marto's next spray against whoever he loses the plot with next. Glass houses is a pretty appropriate comment in relation to Marto. He throws his toys out of the cot on a regular basis and doesn't think before he speaks.

Come February he'll probably be ranting about Richard Graham not doing enough to keep James O'Connor at the Reds.

Last comment.. Hear Hear... if i had set-up Campese the way Martin did against the Lions, i'd shut up for the rest of my mortal days...

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I had hoped that his time in Europe had brought had given a more mature and humble outlook on life, but the videos he is posting don't seem to support that.

It's a shame as he did had real potential and talent, but personal circumstances would see him never fulfill that, I hope he finds his niche in France.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interesting though.... All the resources of this Forum, and no-one inside the Reds set-up seems to know what these 'Personal Reasons are? I thought his reply was spotty - and the "it could be mental illness" like Franklin lacked both Judgement & Class...

Status
Not open for further replies.