• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John Eales Medal 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
My understanding is this award is a "players award", voted by the players for the players.

It is chosen from the start of 2013 EOYT until the end of the 2014 RC ????

Therefore players that have played the vast majority of matches nust be the frontrunners.

Players in contention IMO are:
Hooper - AGAIN - think he has played EVERY match, is very good and consistent as well. Another plus is that he is now captain.

Slipper - another that will rank high in the list - also think he's played every game very well. A plus is his vice- captaincy.

Moore - was going great until injured

Keps - nah - just hasn't been consistently good enough

Carter - nah - hasn't played that well and numbver of games low.
Simmons - think he has played most games and will probably rank in the top 7 or 8
Palu - has had some great games but also some "average" ones. Will miss a few games through injury but will still poll in the top 7 or 8.

Fardy - has had good games but quite a few "average" ones

White/Phipps - neither has locked down a starting spot - so the law of averages is against them.

Foley/Beale - probably the same as halfback position, although Foley seems to now have the spot - well, at least until Cooper returns. Think Foley will be in top 7/8

To'omua - think he has played the majority of games, is well respected by the group. Has played pretty well overall and will be in the top 7/8

Kuiindrani - good games from time to time but numbers will let him down.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - what can you say about this bloke - absolute champion, well respected - overall played well. Current injury may cost him but will be up there.

Wingers - Badger and Horne have played some very good games overall but numbers of games and consistency would be a downside.

Folau - played very very well on EOYT, but hasn't been as dominant this year. Media love the bloke but it appears the players rate him a little bit differently. Case in point was the Matthew Burke Award for the Tahs and he didn't figure in the top 10. Surprised the shit outa me.

The rest of the guys just haven't played enough games or gotten enough game time to be considered (unless I left someone out).

My top 5 TO DATE
1. Hooper
2. Slipper.
3. To'omua
4. Simmons
5. Foley

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Slipper should be up there but I also can't remember him every being named players' player so it could be hard for a prop to win it.

Everything else being equal though, I'd say that Slipper has been one of our best couple of players in the last year.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Slipper should be up there but I also can't remember him every being named players' player so it could be hard for a prop to win it.

Everything else being equal though, I'd say that Slipper has been one of our best couple of players in the last year.

Think he has collected 2 or 3 but am still tipping Hooper

T

Train Without a Station

Think you're about spot on scrubber. Probably Kepu over Foley in 5th though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The players' player doesn't seem easy to find after the event.

Let's see if we can add to the list to help narrow this down.

vs Argentina (Gold Coast) - Nick Phipps
vs South Africa (Perth) - Tevita Kuridrani.

Anyone able to find any other players' player awards?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Hooper wins this by 100+ votes.

Ranking:

Hooper
Slipper
Kepu
Fardy
Folau

Quade would've topped the EOYT so I'll have him down at 6.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He won by over 100 votes last year. I'm guessing it will be at least that much for 2014.

Try of the year should be Cummins' try against France.

Sam Carter will probably win rooke of the year.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nah Lealiifano's vs Wales. The one where Kepu smashed Hibbard, Hooper got the turnover, Quade flicked to Tomane and then on the inside to Lealiifano. Easily.

I re-watch that at least once a week.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Out of the players who would've polled well on the EOYT - Slipper, Hooper, Moore, Fardy, Cooper and To'omua............ Slipper and Hooper are really the only two to be consistent this year to push ahead.

brumsfan

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'll be very surprised if hooper doesn't win, which will make him the first player to go back to back. most of the people I talk to love his attitude and what he does for the wallabies and waratahs, I wish he were still at the brumbies.
Big hits, fantastic at the breakdown and trademark running.
Slipper will also poll well, I haven't seen any wallaby highlight from this year yet but this Super Rugby clip is new.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai8MLaBTX1w

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
He won by over 100 votes last year. I'm guessing it will be at least that much for 2014.

Try of the year should be Cummins' try against France.

Sam Carter will probably win rooke of the year.

if it's from the EOYT on then wouldn't Foley be eligible for rookie? He'd be a shoe in if so..

EDIT: he debuted v Argentina in the last round of the TRC!!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Would love to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) get up - he is the consumate team man - plays fucking anywhere, always to the benefit of the team and probably at times detrimental to his setting in stone his 13 spot. He is genuinely a nice bloke full of humility.

Will just about be at his 100 caps by the time the Award is announced. What a fitting reward to one of Australia's best ever representatives.

But reality says Hooper from Slipper

Status
Not open for further replies.