• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John Eales Medal 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
List of Previous John Eales Medal Winners
2002: George Smith
2003: Phil Waugh
2004: David Lyons
2005: Jeremy Paul
2006: Chris Latham
2007: Nathan Sharpe
2008: George Smith
2009: Matt Giteau
2010: David Pocock
2011: Kurtley Beale
2012: Nathan Sharpe
2013: Michael Hooper

Last Years full prize list:
2013 Prizes
Male Sevens Player of the Year -Con Foley Nominees: Con Foley, Tom Cusack, Lewis Holland, Sean McMahon
Outstanding Sevens Player of the Year: Shawn Mackay Award: Con Foley Nominees: Sharni Williams, Tom Cusack, Cameron Clark, Emilee Cherry, Con Foley
Joe French Award: Dr Peter Myers
Volunteer of the Year: Micky Wilson
Referee of the Year: Steve Walsh
U20 Player of Year: Curtis Browning Nominees: Micheal Wells, Ben Meehan, Tom Staniforth, Curtis Browning
Womens Player of the Year: Sharni Williams Nominees: Emilee Cheery, Nicki Everidge, Chantel Stowers, Sharni Williams
Spirit of Rugby Award (Nick Farr Jones Award): Kerry Brady (NSW JRU)
2013 Hall of Fame Inductees: William (Wild Bill) Cerutti, Charlie (Chuckka) Eastes, Michael (Noddy) Lynagh
Rookie of the Year: Israel Folau
Try of the Year: Will Genia Nominees: K Beale v Welsh, W Genia [Try Assist] for I Folau v Lions (1st Test), I Folau v Lions (1st Test)
Australia's Choice Award: Michael Hooper Nominees: Adam Ashley- Cooper, Israel Folau, Ben Mowen, Michael Hooper, Christian Leali'ifaono
2013 Qantas Wallabies Ultimate Fan: Trevor Hancock, ACT
John Eales Medal: Michael Hooper

2013 John Eales Medal final points (Top 10)
Michael Hooper - 297
Wycliff Palu - 185
Israel Folau - 177
Adam Ashley-Cooper - 131
Christian Lealiifano - 102
Scott Fardy - 84
Will Genia - 80
Stephen Moore - 77
Tevita Kuridrani - 77
James Slipper - 73

If they keep true to form, it will be rinse and repeat for the 2014 "Night of Nights", and the following will be announced:
2014 Prizes
Male Sevens Player of the Year:
Outstanding Sevens Player of the Year - Shawn Mackay Award:
Joe French Award:
Volunteer of the Year:
Referee of the Year:
U20 Player of Year:
Womens Player of the Year:
Spirit of Rugby Award (Nick Farr Jones Award):
2014 Hall of Fame Inductees:
Rookie of the Year:
Try of the Year:
Australia's Choice Award:
John Eales Medal:

For the John Eales Medal all Test Matches from 2013 Spring Tour until Bledisloe #3 will count.
2013 Spring European Tour
England v Wallabies Twickenham, London 2 November 2013, 20 - 13
Italy v Wallabies, Stadio Olimpico di Torino, Turin, 9 November 2013, 20 - 50
Ireland V Wallabies, Aviva Stadium, Dublin 16 November 2013, 15 - 32
Scotland V Wallabies, Murrayfield, Edinburgh 23 November 2013, 15 - 21
Wales v Wallabies Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 30 November 2013, 26 - 30

French Tour (Trophee des Bicentaires)
Wallabies v France,Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane, 7 June 2014, 50 - 23
Wallabies v France, Etihad Stadium, Melbourne, 14 June 2014, 6 - 0
Wallabies v France, Sydney Football Stadium, Sydney, Saturday, 21 June 2014, 39 - 13

The Rugby Championship
Australia v New Zealand, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, Sat 16 Aug, 12 - 12
New Zealand v Australia, Eden Park, Auckland, Sat 23 Aug, 51 - 20
Australia v South Africa, Patersons Stadium, Perth, Sat 6 Sep, 24-23
Australia v Argentina, Cbus Stadium, Gold Coast, Sat 13 Sep, 32-25

South Africa v Australia, DHL Newlands Stadium, Cape Town, Sun 29 Sep
Argentina v Australia, TBC, Sun 5 Oct

Third and Final Bledisloe Cup Test
New Zealand v Australia, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane, Sat 18 Oct

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the rules aren't hard and fast on when you debuted, Foley should win. Otherwise it will be Carter.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Surely a couple minutes of illegible matches doesn't count against Foley? I know rookie awards sometimes don't count previous season if they only played a couple matches.

If that's the case, it'll be between Carter and Foley. I'd say the odds favour Foley, considering the pressure and prominence of his position.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Pound for pound I'd be giving rookie of the year to Charles. To step into the cauldron like he did (when we had two top class players in that position crocked) and then play as well as did speaks volumes for the bloke.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pound for pound I'd be giving rookie of the year to Charles. To step into the cauldron like he did (when we had two top class players in that position crocked) and then play as well as did speaks volumes for the bloke.
I certainly agree with the sentiment. Just can't see it happening on the back of four games in which he played very few minutes off the bench in two of them.

Hard to compete with Carter who could have played 8 tests before the awards night.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yeah Foley had the best debut year easily. i guess technically played a game off the bench last season, still he's the logical choice.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If the match against Argentina last year in Rosario was his only one outside the window it is rough, he only played 15 mins off the bench?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Agree, surely they would include that 15 minutes in his rookie year rather than make him ineligible because of it..

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
reckon that ARU's position is that rules are rules. If you make an exception, where does it stop or start, whatever.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
reckon that ARU's position is that rules are rules. If you make an exception, where does it stop or start, whatever.

Really? I reckon the ARU's position is they'll give the award to whoever they think deserves the award.

I highly doubt any of his teammates will lodge a complaint saying he wasn't eligible.

T

Train Without a Station

Just for reference, I'm pretty sure the AFL Rising Star award isn't rigidly structure so the player has to have debuted in that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.