• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keiran

Sydney Middleton (9)
For the footy or Viking Park disappearing into the abyss should the unthinkable happen (only kidding). I'm looking forward to Colts and 1st's as I can see them being cracking games and honestly Queanbeyan are the only side in those two grades who would trouble Vikings in my opinion.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I reckon QBN could take out any of the grades to be honest - 4ths def, Colts yes, have not watched much 2nds this year and 1sts of course they proved this the other week.

I think the thing with Vikings if you let them get a role on early (in all grades) they are more than likely to win - if you get in their face early and shut them down abit I dont think they are great/have the ability to grind out a win.

W

wrecking rider

Will Royals match their #1000onthehill tomorrow? Are other clubs setting up camp at Vikings Park tomorrow for bevvy central?1

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Some scores from today -

4th grade -Qbn 37 - Vikings 22
3rd grade - Vikings 48 - Royals 0
2nd grade - Vikings 26 - Qbn 18
Colts - Vikings 15 - Qbn 13

1st grade coming up.....

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Well done to Tuggeranong, clearly the best teams in all grades this year. Glad we knocked them off in 4's to stop a clean sweep. Massively proud of our club to make the finals that we did given the amount of talent we had unavailable for the finals. Hopefully we can keep a lot of our first grade team together, was a big learning experience for them on how grand finals need to be played and hopefully we can have another good crack next season.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Well done to Tuggeranong, clearly the best teams in all grades this year. Glad we knocked them off in 4's to stop a clean sweep. Massively proud of our club to make the finals that we did given the amount of talent we had unavailable for the finals. Hopefully we can keep a lot of our first grade team together, was a big learning experience for them on how grand finals need to be played and hopefully we can have another good crack next season.

I wonder whether your pack just lacked a bit of grunt Grant? Very industrious and whole-hearted but ultimately pretty small across the back 5.

Thompson was also pretty classy for the Vikings and a key point of difference between the two teams - a clear factor in Ah Wong getting the space that he did to score tries.

I think a couple of the Vikings boys (Rakic and Taula) probably silenced a few of the doubters over the last couple of weeks. Rakic looks an outstanding prospect. And Nandruku would have woken up sore on Sunday after getting wiped out by Taula a couple of times in open play. Having said that he looks like one for the future as well, and certainly proved his toughness.

Whites will be a serious contender for a number of years if they can keep that side together though. Speers, Chalker (as he develops). Nandruku, Makin, Finau, Morgan etc have all got a lot of first grade ahead of them.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
I wonder whether your pack just lacked a bit of grunt Grant? Very industrious and whole-hearted but ultimately pretty small across the back 5.

Thompson was also pretty classy for the Vikings and a key point of difference between the two teams - a clear factor in Ah Wong getting the space that he did to score tries.

I think a couple of the Vikings boys (Rakic and Taula) probably silenced a few of the doubters over the last couple of weeks. Rakic looks an outstanding prospect. And Nandruku would have woken up sore on Sunday after getting wiped out by Taula a couple of times in open play. Having said that he looks like one for the future as well, and certainly proved his toughness.

Whites will be a serious contender for a number of years if they can keep that side together though. Speers, Chalker (as he develops). Nandruku, Makin, Finau, Morgan etc have all got a lot of first grade ahead of them.
I'm not sure what it was that didn't allow out boys to play to their potentially last Saturday, but there is no doubt Tuggeranongs defence was outstanding. I think the whole occasion got to some of our blokes and I am sure they will be better for it in the future. Thompson controlling the game was clearly a big factor. I have never doubted the talent of the Tuggers players that have got picked for the NRC team, my issue is the reasons being given for some of them being picked. Rakic obviously has talent, but if you are giving him a massive wrap and are justifying why he got picked, then equally you have to ask how Morgan didn't, for an 18 year old to play the way he did this season and particularly how he played all over Iona in the major semi was pretty special.

Jono7

Frank Row (1)
I heard that Hopkins is an excellent coach of young players, and that most of his recruits for Erindale are now coming into the first grade at Vikings. he was invited to Whites by Adam Fahey because of his skills analysis and his ability to continually come up with winning teams, and was that his Erindale players became the first team other than Eddies or Marist to win the local first XV comp. I heard that he went to Easts with Fahey's blessing to prove himself,and help Easts. He seems to have done that in a very short period of time after a 92 point drubbing from Vikings. Whatever he does , he does very well and obviously regrouped the Easts players, got the Brumbies boys firing at club level and got them a big win over Wests. Ex Erindale players speak highly of him. Its seems that Grant Jones is wrong in his assessment and that the facts speak for themselves on this one. I reckon that Hopkins is a breath of fresh air for Easts with untapped ability as a coach. He took on a challenge that no-one else wanted and got them a win. He obviously knows how to get the best out of players.

OldHeadSnakeyHeher

Allen Oxlade (6)
I heard that Hopkins is an excellent coach of young players, and that most of his recruits for Erindale are now coming into the first grade at Vikings. he was invited to Whites by Adam Fahey because of his skills analysis and his ability to continually come up with winning teams, and was that his Erindale players became the first team other than Eddies or Marist to win the local first XV comp. I heard that he went to Easts with Fahey's blessing to prove himself,and help Easts. He seems to have done that in a very short period of time after a 92 point drubbing from Vikings. Whatever he does , he does very well and obviously regrouped the Easts players, got the Brumbies boys firing at club level and got them a big win over Wests. Ex Erindale players speak highly of him. Its seems that Grant Jones is wrong in his assessment and that the facts speak for themselves on this one. I reckon that Hopkins is a breath of fresh air for Easts with untapped ability as a coach. He took on a challenge that no-one else wanted and got them a win. He obviously knows how to get the best out of players.

G'day Hoppo

Allen Ward Hopkins

Frank Row (1)
Great to see you bagging my brother Grant after Phil suffered from depression after our Dad died and Phil dropped out of coaching because he felt he couldn't give 110%. Your coach Adam Fahey, invited him to Whites because he recognised that he always had winning teams. You obviously haven't seen Phil's coaching record and should get your facts right. Whites were lucky to have him.

W

wrecking rider

Anyway moving on...
Are Easts going to be involved in JID in 2015? Also hearing whispers that Gungahlin and Wests will struggle to field teams in Colts next year?!? Whats doing there?

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Great to see you bagging my brother Grant after Phil suffered from depression after our Dad died and Phil dropped out of coaching because he felt he couldn't give 110%. Your coach Adam Fahey, invited him to Whites because he recognised that he always had winning teams. You obviously haven't seen Phil's coaching record and should get your facts right. Whites were lucky to have him.
I am sorry for what he has been through, wasn't having a go at him personally, just his ability as a coach. I am not going to bag him anymore as it is clear it is being taken personally but if Easts are going to be successful they need someone with more ability in charge!

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Anyway moving on.
Are Easts going to be involved in JID in 2015? Also hearing whispers that Gungahlin and Wests will struggle to field teams in Colts next year?!? Whats doing there?
I really hope they are, would be such a shame if they weren't, maybe they need to look at having a relationship with teams like adfa or rmc to ensure depth in their club, something that I believe we at QBN did very well when in a similar situation 10 years ago was to build from the bottom through our colts program, this has ensured we now have good player depth through all grades. Yeah Wests have already told Brumbies they won't have a colts team next season, something that was done about 6 weeks ago, I think this is very sad, because they have not had an u18's this year they have just given up instead of trying to recruit in the off season. If we lose this comp it will be a massive shame, having an under 20's comp is a huge advantage over league locally, we had a number of league kids play for us this season because they weren't ready for grade footy and saw colts as a good stepping stone, with the way they enjoyed their time this year I'm sure we will hold on to most of them! Gungahlin you would think would be able to field a team because of their relationship with Daramalan!

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Predictions for Macdougal Medal?
I'll have a crack and say it will be out of Penca/Clouston/Cree/Thompson.
Coach of the year Adam Fahey?
20s player of the year you would assume to be Tom Staniforth

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Predictions for Macdougal Medal?
I'll have a crack and say it will be out of Penca/Clouston/Cree/Thompson.
Coach of the year Adam Fahey?
20s player of the year you would assume to be Tom Staniforth
I think Cree being out for the late part of the season will work against him. Very much doubt it would be clouston. I think Rocky from Gungahlin would be my favourite. Makin being in such strong form towards the end of the season would of taken points away from Penca and QBN boys never win the macdougall. Yeah adam would have to be a fair chance and I think allatoa will give staniforth a bit of a run for under 20's player!

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
I think Cree being out for the late part of the season will work against him. Very much doubt it would be clouston. I think Rocky from Gungahlin would be my favourite. Makin being in such strong form towards the end of the season would of taken points away from Penca and QBN boys never win the macdougall. Yeah adam would have to be a fair chance and I think allatoa will give staniforth a bit of a run for under 20's player!

Cree only missed one game didn't he? I suspect the Vikings players will take votes off each other.

What about Pedro from Royals? Bennet from uni-norths would also pole votes pretty regularly I reckon - quality competitor.

Settle down Grant I suspect Penca will be thereabouts. There are 6 votes available in each game that have to go somewhere, and he appears to have been pretty influential.

Grant Jones

Ted Fahey (11)
Cree only missed one game didn't he? I suspect the Vikings players will take votes off each other.

What about Pedro from Royals? Bennet from uni-norths would also pole votes pretty regularly I reckon - quality competitor.

Settle down Grant I suspect Penca will be thereabouts. There are 6 votes available in each game that have to go somewhere, and he appears to have been pretty influential.
Haha it's just that no one from QBN has won it since Ray Watson in the early 80's I think.
Everyone says Pedro is good, have never seen it in his games against us. And you might be right about Cree only missing one game, I thought it might of been a couple more than that.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
Haha it's just that no one from QBN has won it since Ray Watson in the early 80's I think.
Everyone says Pedro is good, have never seen it in his games against us. And you might be right about Cree only missing one game, I thought it might of been a couple more than that.

Pedro has been pretty good in games I've seen. Long kicking game, dangerous runner, better than expected defender. Plays pretty off the cuff but I'm not sure they are given much structure in the first place, more relying on natural talents of their players.

Not sure on Cree, I thought he was named most weeks, though the stampede is generall wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.