• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup - Canberra Competition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
This probably only relates to ACT Club Rugby Followers but feel free to join in.
Who is looking good to win the competition this year.
Any thoughts on Players to look out for etc.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'd say the most interesting variable still to come out is the amount of players from the JID going up north.

Other threads dealing with Shute Shield have speculated quite a few players are heading north to Parramatta - Vikings and Queanbeyan may lose some very good players, which will probably even the competition out even further.

As for my own club (Easts), we've picked up quite a couple more props (one from SA, one from Manly) and there are a couple of Vikings players jumping ship, other recruitment is still somewhat less that 100% confirmed.

Otherwise just hoping to keep on improving on last year - it's been tough since the fall out post 2008 grand final.. It'd be nice to have the Vanderglas brothers back together.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
It'll be my first full season playing in Canberra so I'm looking forward to it. Not in any of the top sides or anything but if I can get the fitness back up then it should be fun. A big pre-season is in order...correction a MAMMOTH pre-season...lol

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Welcome to the JID then mate!

Yea, dreading actual fitness work... Plenty of pain to come.

Which side/grade are you aiming for?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Welcome to the JID then mate!

Yea, dreading actual fitness work... Plenty of pain to come.

Which side/grade are you aiming for?

I played 5th grade out at the Viking towards the end of last season mainly cos I hadn't played in almost 2 seasons - since moving to Aussie - and fitness was pretty disgusting. My cuzz was playing for the 2nd grade I think so that's why I went out there.

This year we have another cuzzy moving over so they might change clubs to give him a better shot at making the top team cos Vikings looks pretty chocka block at loosie I think.

I'm looking at Hall at the moment but I don't know what grade they play....I'd like to play 3rd and maybe even 2nd.....it'll probably take a pretty big effort cos I haven't been running AT ALL since gridiron season finished. Played touch on Wednesday and I think I injured a lung.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Hall play in either 3rd or 4th grade, generally against other regional teams and some ACT clubs 3rds and 4ths.

If you're aiming for a higher grade, (1sts, 2nds) then you'd want to ring around the other ACT clubs, especially the ones close to where you live and talk to the coaches. Funnily enough, we had a bloke jump from Vikings to us (Easts) because of that exact reason.

Brumbies has links/contacts for all the local clubs (all grades) - http://brumbies.com.au/act.rugby/page/40081

Best of luck with it mate

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Hall play in either 3rd or 4th grade, generally against other regional teams and some ACT clubs 3rds and 4ths.

If you're aiming for a higher grade, (1sts, 2nds) then you'd want to ring around the other ACT clubs, especially the ones close to where you live and talk to the coaches. Funnily enough, we had a bloke jump from Vikings to us (Easts) because of that exact reason.

Brumbies has links/contacts for all the local clubs (all grades) - http://brumbies.com.au/act.rugby/page/40081

Best of luck with it mate

Thanks mate...appreciate it :)

H

HappyHC

Hard to go past Queanbeyan and Vikings again - irrespective of who they lose. Both strong programs and culture to move forward with.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Good to hear that regarding Parahi. We need to keep as many top players in the local comp as possible.

If only the majority of local clubs still had profitable 'clubs' - it would make retention much easier.

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Tuggies, Queanbeyan should be teams to beat again...
Eagles again to be there or there abouts....and Royals with a number of their players returning from various places worldwide, plus 2 handy NPC recruits....Dont write them off either...and I think Easts...might be a dark horse...

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'll blame my beer goggles for that oversight...

Have Wests lost some players?

I'm going to pick queanbeyan for this year - Chiefly on the depth the have through the club.

Vikings should field a strong team, irrespective of who may be leaving. I'll be interested to see how they go in Colts with Erindale becoming a primary source of talent.

Reactions: FTS

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
I think vikings will go close, recruiting solid players from Brisbane and Ireland and another good club coach. I think Royals will be strong with Craig Lesburg the coach and luring Brumbies Academy players out to there.

Empire, are you able to share Easts new recruits from Vikings? I think you guys could be on the way to becoming a quite strong club again. All the best

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Easts have picked up from Vikings one first grade winger, and a 1st/2nd grade backrower who was looking for an opportunity.
Won't name names - I'll feel secure once training is underway. Either way, our head coach has said they were locked in.

More speculation regards the Vanderglas brothers - we may have both or neither.

Aside from that, our connection with St Edmunds has been strengthened - our assistant/forwards coach for firsts has become the St Eddies 1st XV coach - should really help our colts, as for many years our feeder area has been more or less a free for all

Status
Not open for further replies.