• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Julia's Reign

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The PC are generally pretty well regarded and considered fairly independent. They should always be asked to look into matters such as carbon taxes, the NBN etc.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Gillard has taken to bold faced lying now:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...clear-power-push/story-fn59niix-1225963754094

The Prime Minister said today that she welcomed the debate on nuclear power, but warned that those arguing for its consideration in Australia’s future energy mix faced a "tough argument".

"The Labor Party has got a very clear policy here and it’s a really long standing policy of opposition to nuclear power," she told 3AW.

"I want the Labor party to be a party of debate and a party of ideas so if people come to national conference... then I want them to have their say."

"I’d have to say anybody who’s arguing to overturn our long standing policy is setting themselves up for a pretty tough argument. But I’m not going to be there saying to people don’t come and put your view."

Ms Gillard said that in Australia "nuclear power doesn’t stack up as an economically efficient source of power"

Australia was in a different situation to other nations that needed nuclear power, Ms Gillard said.

"We’ve got abundant sources of renewable energy. We are very focused on our record investment in solar and renewable technologies. We’ve got abundant energy from those sources."

Ms Gillard was responding to a push by a number of Labor MPs, including Resources Minister Martin Ferguson and Senators Mark Bishop and Steve Hutchins, for Australia to embrace nuclear power.

"I think it’s right that we discuss all forms of alternative energy," Mr Hutchins told ABC radio this morning.

Martin Ferguson really should jump ship. He has too much sense to be part of the Labor party that are now so tightly linked to the Greens.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And now for some facts (I know this is Andrew Bolt, but don't discount it straight out):

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/..._deceives_nuclear_not_economically_efficient/

The standout technology, from a cost perspective, is nuclear power. From the eight nuclear cost studies we reviewed (all published in the past decade, and adjusted to 2009 dollars), the median cost of electricity from current technology nuclear plants was just above new coal plants with no carbon price. Having the lowest carbon emissions of all the fit-for-service technologies, nuclear remains the cheapest solution at any carbon price. Importantly, it is the only fit-for-service baseload technology that can deliver the 2050 emission reduction targets.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And from Bob Brown it just gets better:

Senator Brown said "the spectre of nuclear power" was being raised by the "Murdoch-promoted right in Australia" but stressed the cheapest way to reduce greenhouse gas emissions was to end the "destruction of Australia’s forests and woodlands".

"From Tasmania to the Tiwi Islands, industrial logging of native forests and woodlands causes a massive release of carbon dioxide and methane into the atmosphere. It is a huge drag on taxpayers’ pockets and the single biggest threat to the extinction of plant and animal species," he said.

"Baseload solar and geothermal power are Australia’s best generator options."

Does he have any idea what he is talking about?

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
And now for some facts (I know this is Andrew Bolt, but don't discount it straight out):

Sorry too late. The names Andrew Bolt and Miranda Divine are two that I can't take seriously at all.

I sit with Doctor Karl with this one.
Australia has so much open space it boggles the mind that we aren't the leaders in Solar Energy research and implementation.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
From Tasmania to the Tiwi Islands, industrial logging of native forests and woodlands causes a massive release of carbon dioxide

There is a Acacia plantation on the Tiwi's doing nothing since the owners went bust. The NT envirnment centre said the acacias would become a noxious weed. Then they went on to say, they could be used for carbon capture. They don't know what they want.

Nuclear power is worthy of a palimentary debate. We always hear about the dangers of nuclear power but these people but so is coal mining. Always has and always will be.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Sorry too late. The names Andrew Bolt and Miranda Divine are two that I can't take seriously at all.

I sit with Doctor Karl with this one.
Australia has so much open space it boggles the mind that we aren't the leaders in Solar Energy research and implementation.

His blog contains quotes from scientists undertaking studies. Not sure how you can discount this but then take Gillard seriously?

And to my knowledge there is still no way of using Solar as baseload.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I'm not disagreeing that nuclear isn't as bad as we remember it e.g. the stigma of Chernobyl. The improved safety etc has made it a viable option. I'm just saying that photovoltaic is definitely the path we should be heading down.

Also Bolt too (just like Gillard might be doing now) has in the past ignored truths or twisted words to suit his own agenda. That is why I ignore pretty much everything he says.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I was disappointed with the major parties position on nuclear power, especially that from the Greens. We should be seriously funding scientists to research alternate energy types, like Fusion Power. But seeing as that will never happen in Australia, nuclear power seems the most appealing.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
People are shit scared of nukes in this country. Perhaps we should ask the people of France and Sweden what they think, given that 80% of their power (from memory) is generated that way.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If you try and release the truth into this country Labor is sure to try and censor it. I love how the governments first reaction to the Wikileaks scandal is to censor the website in Australia. I mean wtf is that supposed to do? Anyone interested will still get access to the information in about 5 seconds (quite rightly so), and if the rest of the world can see these raw facts and data, why not us? These guys come up with illogical BS beyond the imagination. I'm actually getting concerned with their lack of respect for freedom.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
If you try and release the truth into this country Labor is sure to try and censor it.

And the Liberal party didn't? I think you need to edit it so it says "the government is sure to try and sensor it."
I really love it how people's memories become so short when it helps them.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Matty,

If you are going to ignore all journos that are twisting words to suit their agenda, then I'm guessing you are pretty much ignoring all major politicians in this country as well?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
And the Liberal party didn't? I think you need to edit it so it says "the government is sure to try and sensor it."
I really love it how people's memories become so short when it helps them.

What?

I can't find where i said Liberal didn't or wouldn't. I think you need to take my quote out of your reply because it doesn't concern what i said.

Why would i say 'the government' when it is perfectly possible for a party that doesn't want to censor everything to be elected? Pinning down Political Parties that have these views/policies makes much more sense.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
If you are going to ignore all journos that are twisting words to suit their agenda, then I'm guessing you are pretty much ignoring all major politicians in this country as well?

Scotty you can hardly call Bolt a journalist. He is an opinion piece writer or columnist. I would very much like to see journalists just report on what happened. They were called reporters at one stage.

What?

I can't find where i said Liberal didn't or wouldn't. I think you need to take my quote out of your reply because it doesn't concern what i said.

Why would i say 'the government' when it is perfectly possible for a party that doesn't want to censor everything to be elected? Pinning down Political Parties that have these views/policies makes much more sense.

You did say "If you try and release the truth in this country the Labor party is sure to sensor it". You didn't say the Labor and Liberal parties. Why wouldn't I assume that you only meant the Labor party.
Anyhoo I apologise for reading something into your statement. Lets move on. This has been fun.

kambah mick

Chris McKivat (8)
Many people in Australia are in favour of nuclear power generation until the question of a specific location comes up. They all want it in someones elses backyard.
The same thing about road and especially rail infrastructure in Sydney. Everyone will tell you they are desperate for this rail or that freeway, but none want to be next to it. Thats always for someone else to bear.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Many people in Australia are in favour of nuclear power generation until the question of a specific location comes up. They all want it in someones elses backyard.
The same thing about road and especially rail infrastructure in Sydney. Everyone will tell you they are desperate for this rail or that freeway, but none want to be next to it. Thats always for someone else to bear.

That is no reason not to do it. The government just has to tell people to suck it up, and they are taking action for the good of the country. I'm sure there will be a minor outcry and a few Today Tonight stories, but any government with a spine can take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.