• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Julia's Reign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting...they only need two out of Bandt, Wilkie, Oakeshott and Windsor to pass it, although they'd need the Greens in the senate. If they don't get the Greens (incl. Bandt) then they will be in trouble of getting it passed.

Tend to agree with scrapping some of the middle class welfare, including baby bonus and first home owners grant. Tend not to agree with the Abbott's suggested budget cuts - there's a big furore about it at the moment. Anyone who has seen Charlie Wilson's War will understand why.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I agree with cutting middle class welfare. That should be done regardless of natural disaster.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ash they can still get it through without the Greens because the new Senate doesn't come in until July IIRC. They will get it through in some form, just may have to make a few concessions to woo an independant or two.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'm on board with scrapping or at least phasing out the middle class welfare programmes: FTB Part B (and probably A) and the baby bonus.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'd like to dump all schemes to give taxpayers money back and adjust the tax rates to reflect real cost.

Actually I'd prefer anything to the current system of removing each piece of middle class welfare a few weeks before I could otherwise have claimed it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Totally agree Moses. Perhaps we should actually have that "root and branch" reform package that Mr Rudd promised us. Like I've said before, let's get the Henry Review out in the open and debate it.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm on board with scrapping or at least phasing out the middle class welfare programmes: FTB Part B (and probably A) and the baby bonus.

Not until I have finished my Advanced Diploma otherwise my family would starve! My wife and I are having our third child in August so can we keep the bonus at least until then. Scrap the Department of Climate Change if need be as they do nothing!

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I like the way multiculturalism is back on the agenda. And apparently if you disagree with it you are a racist!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Scotty, the way Paul Howes has been carrying on in the last week either appalled or amused me, I can't decide which. What a contemptible little man he is. The problem the AWU leadership has is that workers in the Pilbara are making way above the odds that they would make in the city and its largely been done without union involvement. Kinda leaves them with nowhere to go other than rehashing the class warfare that I thought this country had grown out of in the 1980's. His attack on Craig Emerson, one of the really good ministers in the Gillard government, was just stupid. Emerson is one of the few politicians in this country on any side of politics who is prosecuting the case for freer trade and greater openness. I think he's doing great work there. When even Martin Ferguson tells the labour movement to calm down, you know they've crossed the line.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Scotty, the way Paul Howes has been carrying on in the last week either appalled or amused me, I can't decide which. What a contemptible little man he is. The problem the AWU leadership has is that workers in the Pilbara are making way above the odds that they would make in the city and its largely been done without union involvement. Kinda leaves them with nowhere to go other than rehashing the class warfare that I thought this country had grown out of in the 1980's. His attack on Craig Emerson, one of the really good ministers in the Gillard government, was just stupid. Emerson is one of the few politicians in this country on any side of politics who is prosecuting the case for freer trade and greater openness. I think he's doing great work there. When even Martin Ferguson tells the labour movement to calm down, you know they've crossed the line.

This whole Howes versus Tinto thing is quite strange. If your sole news source was just the Sydney Morning Herald, you would have no idea Howes has said these things. Though according to the SMH the Libs are tearing themselves apart over Robb, Bishop, Morrison et al. And that Australia is in grave danger because we are not sufficiently multicultural.

Whether it is just in the media or various social media/ blogs etc there seems to be a very nasty and decisive display of disparate political views recently. Everyone thinks they are right and if people don't agree with them the general response is vitriolic denigration.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
This has happened for 3-4 years at least.

Read the SMH and you couldn't even tell there was an issue with the BER program.

Read the Australian and you would think that Labor couldn't get anything right.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
In my eyes (although it will never happen) Labor need to disassociate themselves from all unions to achieve real credibility in this country.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...es-risks-for-alp/story-e6frg6zo-1226008384089

This week shatters any illusion about Labor ditching its links to the unions. Led by Julia Gillard and Wayne Swan, a conga line of ministers and MPs trekked to the 125th anniversary of the Australian Workers Union on the Gold Coast to honour the union, its ties with Labor and hail its powerbrokers, national president Bill Ludwig and national secretary Paul Howes, the veteran and the rising star. To put the issue beyond doubt, the review troika came down unequivocally: the rule delivering unions 50 per cent of floor numbers at ALP conferences should be retained and reinforced. The overall message from Gillard and the three wise men is that Labor's identity is irrevocably tied to the unions.

Faithful to this philosophy Gillard, in her evening speech to the AWU, began by recognising ministers and MPs in the room, starting with the Treasurer "and long-time friend of this union, Wayne Swan, the Assistant Treasurer, Bill Shorten, who has such a special connection to this union, and then other parliamentary colleagues including Mark Bishop, Stephen Conroy, Yvette D'Ath, Don Farrell, David Feeney, Michael Forshaw, Bernie Ripoll is here, Mark Dreyfus, Mark Furner, Ed Husic, Joe Ludwig, Deb O'Neill, Graham Perrett and I think some more that I've managed to miss.

"Perhaps instead of doing a list of acknowledgments, it would be easier to say here tonight the people gathered in this room are the friends of Bill Ludwig and that would catch every category."

She hailed Ludwig as "a big man with a big heart" who "always understood that strong unionism and a strong Labor Party go hand in hand". The PM was "proud to be here and to call myself a friend of Bill Ludwig". Then she moved to acknowledge Howes. "I want to thank him for his speech a little bit earlier and I also want to say to Paul thank you for asking me to join you here for Valentine's Day," Gillard said. "I'm viewing it as a kind of Valentine's Day date, however you're viewing it, and even though, of course, your wife is here tonight." Gillard expressed her confidence the AWU "will celebrate another hundred years in the future and another hundred years beyond that".

Gillards tough talk on Howes and Ludwig doesn't go very deep. She knows that she is indebted and reliant upon them. But it was a good sound bite from her for the 6 o'clock news to make it seem like she might actually do something.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
In his own speech Swan said the official records said he joined the AWU in January 1982 but, in truth, he took out a ticket in 1974 when a sewerage maintenance worker for the Brisbane City Council. "This union has been an important part of my political life," Swan told delegates. "I have marched in the rain with the AWU. I have worked alongside you. And I have represented the hopes and aspirations of your thousands of members in the federal parliament and in the cabinet." The AWU, he said, was in good hands, "Paul's and Bill's". Praising Howes, Swan said: "The more I spend time with Paul, the more I appreciate his advice and his commitment."

Swan is worse of course. He doesn't even have the guts to pretend, and refused to criticise Howes.

In a series of headline grabs, he launched a class-based assault on mining major Rio Tinto, accusing its chief, Tom Albanese, of "sucking out the blood, sweat and tears of blue-collar workers". Feeding red meat to delegates, Howes said: "I have got a message for Rio Tinto. You don't own this government; you don't own this country any more. Your workforce has the right to be represented. You cannot hide behind the law. You cannot hide behind your slimy, grubby mates in the Coalition because we're coming after you. We are going to take Rio Tinto on."

Nothing to see here?

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
The Coalition must be thankful for the AWU/Howes intervention, nice deflection from the funeral furore.

Gillard's public embrace of the union movement will no doubt come back to haunt her, not that she gave herself any choice after sanctioning the coup.

Status
Not open for further replies.