• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Julia's Reign

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Greens are distancing themselves from the ALP.
Does this mean we will end up with an early election?

I highly doubt it.

I think it will help both parties. Realistically they'll both still preference each other and The Greens are always going to support Labor over the Coalition regardless of how much the relationship breaks down.

By distancing themselves from Labor, the Greens appease the more left voters who think Labor is supporting miners and pillaging the environment.

It also helps Labor keep the more centrist/conservative Labor voters who think the Greens are a bunch of radical nutjobs.

Realistically I think Labor can't win this election unless something dramatic happens. I think given the plunging popularity of Gillard there is a real chance Rudd will be leader again prior to the election but even then I think Labor have ruined their chances.

The only other hope for Labor is that Tony Abbott does something mindblowingly ridiculous that alienates a lot of voters. He'd probably need to get in a bar fight with a pregnant lady or something completely outrageous though. Merely making terrible comments about women or any other group won't be enough.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The only other hope for Labor is that Tony Abbott does something mindblowingly ridiculous that alienates a lot of voters. He'd probably need to get in a bar fight with a pregnant lady or something completely outrageous though. Merely making terrible comments about women or any other group won't be enough.

He's already leaving every ball he doesn't have to play - though his judgment as to which balls should be left is poor and he will be out caught rather than bowled because of it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He's already leaving every ball he doesn't have to play - though his judgment as to which balls should be left is poor and he will be out caught rather than bowled because of it.

Maybe he'll get cut off by a pregnant lady whilst out riding his bike and then beat her up in a reverse road rage incident.

If there's one thing that Daily Terror/Herald Scum readers hate more than Julia Gillard, it's cyclists!

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I think it is a sad indictment of the capabilities of the Labor party that they are going to lose an election to a party that is advocating 'direct action' to meet emissions targets even after every reputable economist has rubbished such a policy.

My only hope is that once the Coalition get into power they drop some of the bullshit policy in favour of common sense.

Yeah, direct action on a problem that their leader is on record as saying is crap.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I honestly think it all comes back to the knifing of Rudd. To have an elected Prime Minister denied the opportunity to serve a full term leaves a sour taste in the mouth of the people who elected him.

Despite Gillard forming government, she will never have the mandate legitimacy of a Prime Minister elected with a majority or pre-planned coalition. Even further exacerbated by her complete willingness to ruthlessly to go back on her word (carbon tax) and turn on those when she no longer needs them (Andrew Wilkie - Pokies).

There are too many people out there with a vendetta for Gillard to overcome and Labor now understands the public's distaste for back room dealings such as what went on to unseat Rudd. Leaving them paralyzed with knowing what they need to do to have any chance of winning but being unable to do it anyway. Ironic.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
In what sense did Rudd not serve a full term? From memory he served 99% of it. When would have been a better time to change leader? (he didn't seem to have the support for another 3 years) Also they had in mind what happened to Howard when he went into the election with uncertainty over who would actually lead during the governments term.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
In what sense did Rudd not serve a full term? From memory he served 99% of it. When would have been a better time to change leader? (he didn't seem to have the support for another 3 years) Also they had in mind what happened to Howard when he went into the election with uncertainty over who would actually lead during the governments term.
All fine and dandy and no doubt factually accurate.
But
it all comes back to the knifing of Rudd

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I am no Joolia fan, but I think Rudd's knifing became irrelevant after the 2010 election.The electorate passed judgement then.
What amazes me is that the world has changed in such a way that people like Joolia & Rudd can be voted in as PM in this country.
And people like Mitt Romney in the US and the mad monk here, can be viewed as viable alternatives.
The three second sound bite has definitely changed the political landscape for the worse.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I am no Joolia fan, but I think Rudd's knifing became irrelevant after the 2010 election.The electorate passed judgement then.
What amazes me is that the world has changed in such a way that people like Joolia & Rudd can be voted in as PM in this country.
And people like Mitt Romney in the US and the mad monk here, can be viewed as viable alternatives.
The three second sound bite has definitely changed the political landscape for the worse.

The fact that we look set to cop Abbott as PM is entirely the fault of the ALP.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Well if Abbott is going to get elected because of how Gillard took over in 2010. Who's fault is it that a leadership challenge at a sensible time is being used as an argument for an Abbott lead LNP's election into government? (an argument that doesn't make sense)

The media?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well if Abbott is going to get elected because of how Gillard took over in 2010. Who's fault is it that a leadership challenge at a sensible time is being used as an argument for an Abbott lead LNP's election into government? (an argument that doesn't make sense)

The media?
No the serial incompetence of the ALP is what has led to this situation not the challenge pre-election.
That and the fact that Joolia et al have played the man for 2 1/2 years instead of ignoring him: the public would be entitled to take the view that if he is so ineffectual and hopeless why have they wasted so much time denouncing him?
The proof of that proposition lies in the recent polling which suggested that Gillard's misogyny attack had failed and may have backfired.
http://resources.news.com.au/files/2013/02/16/1226579/518416-galaxy-poll.pdf
Screen Shot 2013-02-21 at 1.04.51 PM.png

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

The media?
I think the mad monk is a prick, and I have serious doubts about his shadow cabinet.
But I have no doubts about the current ALP cabinet.Almost to a man they have demonstrated their incompetence since forming the Government.
That's why Joolia is being flogged in the polls, it's not that she was untrustworthy and sneaky to get the top job. It's because she is shit at her job,and is surrounded by oxygen thieves.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Absolutely.

That is what is so bad about the whole thing. Both sides are rubbish and we are left with one side who tries to do good things but does them incompetently (Labor) and the other side who will do nothing and engage in rampant populism to remain in power (Coalition).

I fully expect to have more money in my pocket under a Coalition government but they will also do nothing to try and further the country or prepare us for future economic prosperity. Investment in education? Nah... we'll just give everyone a few dollars of tax cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.