• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Cops in Qld and probably throughout Australia take Swabs of saliva from motor vehicle drivers randomly.

I understand those swabs are tested somewhere reasonably in expensively and if positive the driver is charged a month or two later.

It cannot be too difficult a process if the Qld Police can do it

That's not what you're charged and convicted with though. Like failing a breathalyser test, you are taken for further tests.

I believe the roadside swab tests return immediate results in terms of positives but no measure of the amount etc.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
There was some discussion earlier in this thread that the period in question was Sept-Dec. It's actually June-December. Hunt started with Reds in Sept.
I may be a bit naive here but I can't imagine you'd start with a new employer/team and then ask around who wants to use coke. I would have thought you'd build up trust before going down that path. I guess it comes down to was Hunt friends with any Reds players before he joined the team.

Whatever happens I'm just bitterly disappointed with Hunt.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
It's also expensive. Are you really going to test a high volume of players week in week out through the entire year?

How many drug tests should a player receive on average each year both in competition and out? It becomes a very large number of tests very quickly.

Yep, but even if cost wasn't an issue they wouldn't be testing them daily. Because a) players have a reasonable right to privacy and b) the clubs don't want to know. Just off the absolute top of the head with AFL Buddy Franklin was 'allegedly' on about his eighth strike after two years in the league.Jake Watts has 'allegedly' been ripping cones like there's no tomorrow since he was 16. Dustin Martin 'allegedly' spent his entire signing bonus on coke and hookers and 'allegedly' had to move in with his captain because he was going completely off the tracks. Young Libba was 'allegedly' such a keen purveyor of pingas that it was the only shock about finding him passed out on King Street was that it had taken so long. Could seriously go on and on. People know this stuff, and it happens in every code.

And you only have to look at how badly drug scandals blow up to see why clubs and codes want to keep things under wraps. A lot of the qualities that make young men elite sportsman also mean they're often more likely to pursue the high life outside of it - especially given the opportunities that are thrust their way. If the lid gets lifted it could be mayhem.

Anyway, Hunt has been caught and he'll have to face the legal consequences for his actions. But I'd have absolutely no problem with him staying in rugby if he's not packed off to jail.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah, I absolutely agree that none of the sporting codes have much interest in discovering the true level of recreational drug use.

These are young people with lots of disposable income. When recreational drug use is prolific in society why would you think it would be any different amongst professional sportsmen, particularly during the off season.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
There was some discussion earlier in this thread that the period in question was Sept-Dec. It's actually June-December. Hunt started with Reds in Sept.

Hunt via the Reds statement clarified the period was September 1- October 3. The other cases and newspaper article initially mentioned the June-December date, but the QRU cleared that up in an attempt to suggest he was not involved with Reds at time.

Funnily the period started the day after his big GC Suns send off and through to his second week of "unofficial" training with the Reds.

There has been no suggestion that KH used anything, but if a hypothetical footballer was to use such a substance, the period after he quits one team and while training uncontracted with another virtually ensures no "in-competition" test.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Hunt via the Reds statement clarified the period was September 1- October 3. The other cases and newspaper article initially mentioned the June-December date, but the QRU cleared that up in an attempt to suggest he was not involved with Reds at time.

Funnily the period started the day after his big GC Suns send off and through to his second week of "unofficial" training with the Reds.

There has been no suggestion that KH used anything, but if a hypothetical footballer was to use such a substance, the period after he quits one team and while training uncontracted with another virtually ensures no "in-competition" test.
Its also smack bang in the middle of a lot of the mad Monday type end of year celebrations.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I wonder how far the Reds will go to help and support Karmichael? He is a valued employee; he is innocent until proven guilty; Pulver himself has said (in relation to O'Connor's signing at the Reds) "everyone deserves a second chance".
There must some serious questioning at the moment as to the strength of support for a player who has committed to the franchise, and the moral obligation to stand by him until all facts are decided in court.
A strong argument can be mounted that the Reds should keep him within their care (including training and possibly playing) for the foreseeable future.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
That's not what you're charged and convicted with though. Like failing a breathalyser test, you are taken for further tests.

I believe the roadside swab tests return immediate results in terms of positives but no measure of the amount etc.

BH
If that's the case the player can be immediately suspended without pay.
And terminated.

The quantity from the sports body perspective should be irrelevant ...

T

TOCC

BH
If that's the case the player can be immediately suspended without pay.
And terminated.

The quantity from the sports body perspective should be irrelevant .

No the way it works, is a player will piss in a cup and a preliminary test will be conducted which will typically measure the temperature and content of the urine which will either indicate a positive or negative reading through a series of indicators, from there if its a positive reading it's sent away for further testing and the player would be 'pending' further results from a lab, which will also go into further detail on the drugs identified.

There's plenty of prescription drugs out there which give false readings including many cold and flu tablets, heck there's even rumours that eating too much sesame seed can give a false opium reading..

So in a nut shell, a positive preliminary test may be cause to stand a player down, but it could be just a false reading from something else he took, so id assume that most teams would wait for the official lab results to come back before taking disciplinary action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I've seen initial tests failed because the guy doing it had just been to the toilet, so drank a couple of litres of ice cold water to get things moving but what then came out it was too cold to register a pass.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Was talking to a couple of players today and they said that even when they go to a party or mates house and someone starts on the weed they either leave or move away. Obviously concerned about the possibility of "passive smoke " being detected

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Things move fast. Now the papers are reporting 5 current Titans (Bird, Taylor, Faifai loa, Falloon, Dowling), 1 former titan (Vickory), 1 woman, and KHunt have been served notices to attend.

The gift that keeps on giving.

Status
Not open for further replies.