• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That's not what you're charged and convicted with though. Like failing a breathalyser test, you are taken for further tests.

I believe the roadside swab tests return immediate results in terms of positives but no measure of the amount etc.
In NSW at least, the roadside saliva test does not test for cocaine. THC (cannabis), Amphetamines, methamphetamine and MDMA. I believe.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I think he was confusing it with too dilute. Plenty of people struggling to get a sample out have drunk too much water and then had there sample disqualified for being too dilute.
Could be, the nurse said it was a temperature issue, pretty common, we waited 45 minutes, resampled which passed and both test were sent to the lab for the negative result.

If your piss was that cold you'd be dead.
You've probably guessed that it happened to me and I'm still alive!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Could be, the nurse said it was a temperature issue, pretty common, we waited 45 minutes, resampled which passed and both test were sent to the lab for the negative result.

You've probably guessed that it happened to me and I'm still alive!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothermia

As you can see if you urine actually comes from the bladder (and not an external receptacle) and they do the test immediately for temperature, which is in all SOPS I've seen, it is nearly impossible for a person to give a sub-temperature sample.

Maybe you are a zombie and the apocalypse has begun?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
what im interested to see is what the Reds/ARU decided to do for the rest of 2015. I'm not too sure but I wouldn't be surprised if the Hunt is allowed to return to the team shortly pending his matter being resolved at a hearing (provided he actually intends to plead not guilty. The media interest will settle down a bit over the coming weeks and even more so after the first mention of the matter is out of the way in March. I suspect theyll stand him down until his first mention, he'll enter a plea of not guilty and adjourn the matter to the summary callover (i.e. the first step in moving the matter to a defended hearing) and then it'll be probably a good 2 months before the matter is back before the court. By then tempers should have cooled a fair bit and I think the proper move, from both a fan and organisation perspective will be to allow him to return to the team pending a finding of guilt (given that he is, and should be, presumed innocent).

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
There's plenty of prescription drugs out there which give false readings including many cold and flu tablets, heck there's even rumours that eating too much sesame seed can give a false opium reading..

It's poppy seeds, and that's actually 100% true.

Anyone in here with a background in drug testing, or a similar field? I'd be curious if it's any more expensive to run a test for recreational drugs than it is to run one for PEDs. My next curiosity would be the QRU policy in regards to this testing.

You'd think it would have to be pretty aggressive because of the fallout that could/would occur should one of their players test positive for a substance during one of the SANZAR-led random in-comp drug tests. I know for a fact that Irish D1-A clubs test extensively and aggressively throughout the pre-season. I know this because a close friend/former club-mate of mine played a couple of seasons for Young Munster.

Actually, I'm fairly sure that after he came back to the USA he may have been a deciding factor in a few of our graduating seniors landing jobs in their professional sectors ;) (achieving the proper distribution of handwarmers is quite a trick, I've been told).

B

Bobby Sands

Personally I believe that the more players implicated in this "investigation" bodes well for K.

Whether or not he plays this week, given he must go before the court on Thursday is one thing. But I can't see how he won't be available for selection in the weeks following while the proceedings go through their paces.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I suspect with the Reds flying out to NZ to face the Landers, they wil leave him home so he can "prepare his case" for the following week.

Which is a shame, the Students in the Zoo section of Forsyth Barr normally have some pretty good signs and I'd think K would come in for some attention if he plays.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Personally I believe that the more players implicated in this "investigation" bodes well for K.

While it bodes well for K the more players that are implicated, it bodes less well for Rugby if those players implicated are Rugby players.

Imagine if half of the Reds team was implicated! Don't think they will be, but these are the stakes we are playing with here.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
While it bodes well for K the more players that are implicated, it bodes less well for Rugby if those players implicated are Rugby players.

Imagine if half of the Reds team was implicated! Don't think they will be, but these are the stakes we are playing with here.
It is an interesting situation for any team in any code.

If those charged were fringe players or only one good player then I would guess they would be stood down straight away.

What if there are 9 or 10 good starting players who get charged. Does the team forfeit? Do they get kicked out? Do you just let them play or do you do the right thing and stand them down?

I think Titans for the wooden spoon is looking like a good bet, hopefully Khunt has not influenced any Reds players to do similar things.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Imagine if the Force rebels Tahs or brumbies had several players involved in a drugs scandal.

Rugby would be rooted.

Let's not make random unlikely scenarios. That just doesn't help the cause of rugby.

It is what it is - nothing more nothing less

T

TOCC

The minimum ban from WADA is 4 years if these players are found guilty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
With the talk of the Reds allowing K to return, and the numbers of Titans'players involved, will be interesting to see if the two codes deal with the situation any differently.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
what im interested to see is what the Reds/ARU decided to do for the rest of 2015. I'm not too sure but I wouldn't be surprised if the Hunt is allowed to return to the team shortly pending his matter being resolved at a hearing (provided he actually intends to plead not guilty. The media interest will settle down a bit over the coming weeks and even more so after the first mention of the matter is out of the way in March. I suspect theyll stand him down until his first mention, he'll enter a plea of not guilty and adjourn the matter to the summary callover (i.e. the first step in moving the matter to a defended hearing) and then it'll be probably a good 2 months before the matter is back before the court. By then tempers should have cooled a fair bit and I think the proper move, from both a fan and organisation perspective will be to allow him to return to the team pending a finding of guilt (given that he is, and should be, presumed innocent).

An interesting ethical conundrum you pose @BDA.

I know that there is a presumption of innocence, and also the DPP has prosecuted innocent parties for fairly serious crimes, and failed to secure a guilty verdict, and on occasions failed to secure a guilty verdict on a "not proven" basis or the inadmissibility of a key piece of evidence, against parties that were rather guilty in all other respects. I seem to recall that the Scottish Courts have "guilty", "not guilty" and "not proven" as the verdicts that they can hand down.

Would someone with a pending drugs supply case be able to travel internationally, or more to the point, would they be able to get all the necessary visas? Would the Courts view that there would be an additional flight risk?

If it was a more serious offence such as attempted murder, GBH, rape, arson, reckless use of a vehicle, armed robbery etc, and the alleged offender was granted bail, under the presumption of innocence provisions should they return to the team, training and playing?

At what stage does the bringing the game/team/club into disrepute provision kick in, and how does this work if a chap is stood down, but is later found not guilty by the court?

OJ Simpson was found not guilty of murder. He was innocent in the eyes of the law. If the offence occurred in his prime, and he was a Reds Super Rugby player, what would/should the Reds do?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
At what stage does the bringing the game/team/club into disrepute provision kick in, and how does this work if a chap is stood down, but is later found not guilty by the court?
Seems to me that a precedent would have been established with the letter the ARU issued to Pocock after the protest incident. Which is the more serious matter?

T

TOCC

Seems to me that a precedent would have been established with the letter the ARU issued to Pocock after the protest incident. Which is the more serious matter?

And Pocock was cleared....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.