• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
BY his own admission, if he didn't on sell it which constitutes supply, then he consumed it, or is his argument that it is at home as a decoration. He has admitted to having it and the conclusion drawn is that he used it. What is the difference to being tested positive or admitting to using it?

Didn't think i would find myself saying this, but i feel sorry for big Dell if that is all Hunt cops.
He also wasn't employed by the aru/qru at the time so it's not necessarily their place to punish him.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So where is the $30k going to go?

Last big fine went to the fight against domestic violence or women's refuges or the like.

Does this go to a needle exchange programme going or a drugs education and prevention programme in SEQLD or similar?

Perhaps to subsidise the participation levy for regional QRU junior clubs, or pay for a couple of months of Development Officers programmes on the Gold Coast.

T

Train Without a Station

Disappointing from the QRU. No ill will to Hunt, but this discretion shows a lack of character.

Backing lack of character does not build a strong positive culture.

He's not an impressionable young man. He has been contracted to be a strong, positive senior influence on the playing group.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
BY his own admission, if he didn't on sell it which constitutes supply, then he consumed it, or is his argument that it is at home as a decoration. He has admitted to having it and the conclusion drawn is that he used it. What is the difference to being tested positive or admitting to using it?

Didn't think i would find myself saying this, but i feel sorry for big Dell if that is all Hunt cops.

You can do all the coke you want out of competition. You just can't give it to anyone else.

I imagine Hunt pleaded to the lower charge to avoid the 4 year ASADA ban.

Dell tested positive for an in competition test, when cocaine is banned.

Hunt never failed a test, nor now does it seem he "trafficked" it. The Suns had played their last game of the year by this time. He was just training at Ballymore, not playing in games, nor under contract.

RAW

Frank Row (1)
He has no criminal conviction but ASDA can ban for possession. However he didn't test positive to cocaine so I am not sure what ASDA would do.

Hunt's contract with Reds will be the key, I think, to what happens next regarding playing for them but they should acknowledge that he is trying to rehabilitate himself. Just putting it out there ! Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone!

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
Hans,
Do you really look like your avatar, because from the vitriol emanating from your posts, ....

I work on my figure!! But seriously, that is a fairly weak reaction from the QRU in my personal view. Does the ARU get an input on the fine/punishment?

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
He has no criminal conviction but ASDA can ban for possession. However he didn't test positive to cocaine so I am not sure what ASDA would do.

Hunt's contract with Reds will be the key, I think, to what happens next regarding playing for them but they should acknowledge that he is trying to rehabilitate himself. Just putting it out there ! Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone!
The Reds have already said a ban of 6 weeks and a $30k fine, so he will play for them again. Sets a pretty ugly precedent for the next idiot who dabbles in coke! provided of course they don't test positive with Asada

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
The QRU is holding a press conference tomorrow (apparently), but the public presence has been very poor during this time.

Surely there have to be questions asked by a remotely competent journo about other players given Hunt was training with the group while buying 12.5g of coke. I'm not for a second suggesting their is, but the QRU and Carmichael have been poor over the past few weeks.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
No he actually doesn't have a criminal record. No conviction was recorded.

Just to clarify when the Courts use the term "no conviction recorded" that doesn't mean that you don't have a conviction on your QLD criminal history. You do. It simply means that the conviction is not recorded in the eyes of the courts. The distinction is that having a 'conviction recorded' for offences means that those offences have an effect on you going forward in various respects (an example is that it would have a n effect on any future sentencing handed down).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Hans, the fine from the ARU seems to be completely in line with the ARU policy.

A bigger question about KHunt may be his leadership role. As others have said, he is not an impressionable little wet behind the ears punk like Ponting was when he got into a barney in Kings Cross. He was appointed to a leadership role within the team.

I'd imagine that that QRU will look seriously at his role as VC in the short term.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Just to clarify when the Courts use the term "no conviction recorded" that does mean that you don't have a conviction on your QLD criminal history. You do. It simply means that the conviction is not recorded in the eyes of the courts. The distinction is that having a 'conviction recorded' for offences means that those offences have an effect on you going forward in various respects (an example is that it would have a n effect on any future sentencing handed down).

Just goes to prove my conviction belief, "that the law is an ass."

Wilson

David Codey (61)
@Hans, the fine from the ARU seems to be completely in line with the ARU policy.

A bigger question about KHunt may be his leadership role. As others have said, he is not an impressionable little wet behind the ears punk like Ponting was when he got into a barney in Kings Cross. He was appointed to a leadership role within the team.

I'd imagine that that QRU will look seriously at his role as VC in the short term.
He was stripped of it as part of the ban I think.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
at least now we can all focus on the rugby.....

or maybe restart the Beale saga thread

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
2 young blokes are days from being executed for drugs in Bali... And Hunt pleads guilty and fined $2500 by the courts and goes home to his family.

Shitty and cruel world. Thankfully I have rugby......

Hunt is a very lucky bloke.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
at least now we can all focus on the rugby...

or maybe restart the Beale saga thread

Cooper,JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale all catch up this weekend... You may not need to restart the beale saga, just starts a new thread on moday :)

Beale will be the only one to blame it all on though of course

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I pleaded guilty and the magistrate said no conviction recorded. I don't have a criminal record, do I?

No (with some exceptions), but you have still been charged with breaking the law and you have still been convicted, because a conviction means that the court has found you guilty or the court has accepted your plea of guilty.
  1. generally, you can say you don't have any convictions
  2. if you're answering questions about whether you have any criminal history/criminal record, make sure you fully understand the question
  3. you could be asked questions about whether you have ever been charged with breaking the law, or whether you have been found guilty, pleaded guilty or been convicted. These questions are different from asking if you have a conviction recorded
  4. for some types of jobs/applications (e.g. Blue Card), even if you don't have a conviction recorded you still have to tell the person asking about being found guilty/pleading guilty in a court
From Legalaid Qld website.

I wonder if this would prohibit him getting a blue card? If so it means he can't work with kids. All Reds players (and I assume all pro rugby players) had to get blue cards.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This was posted by RugbyReg earlier today.

Round 8 is one week later than that. Seems like there were plenty of deals done behind closed doors before today's outcome!

Simmons’ new target date for a return is the March 27 match with the Lions at Suncorp Stadium.
If he makes it, it could mean a massive boost for the Reds right when they need it most, with Quade Cooper and possibly Karmichael Hunt mooted to return for that match.

this one has me really intrigued. He was bang on in his 'guess' as to when Hunt would be back.

The other impact for Hunt might be more financial. I'm guessing part of his contract with the Reds will be image rights. Basically the manager says you pay me this much for my playing ability and this much for my image/brand. I believe it has tax implications in that the 2nd portion gets paid into a trust or some other body.

I wonder if the QRU would have grounds to tear up this portion of the contract given his new 'image'? Thus halfing his salary, or the like?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The ARU drugs policy is to fine the player 5% of their annual remuneration so now we know what his contract is anyway....

Status
Not open for further replies.