• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think the ARU & QRU can't sack Hunt. Not surr they want to anyway. But I can't see how they can legally fire someone for something he did when not employed by them.

This. I have a feeling that even if they wanted to fire him they would probably have to pay Hunt some sort of fee to break his contract. Can't see them having a clause in the contact stating that prior convictions could result in your contract being terminated and putting the game into disrepute could be a grey area.

Either way, I'm content with the outcome. Disappointed but I still think Hunt is a more respectable character then many other current rugby players.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Can't they play the "bringing the game into disrepute" card. I thought that was the ace up the sleeve for all sporting codes?

They would have to prove his actions brought the game into disrepute in order to terminate his contract. Based on what I can read in the media I would think would be pushing the proverbial uphill to do just that. Has any sponsors walked away from the QRU/Reds? Is public sentiment against K-Hunt or the actions of the Reds? Are we seeing droves of Reds faithful hand their memberships back as a result of his actions? If anyone of these questions are responded with a 'no' then I think it would be hard to justify a sacking.

As a GAGR survey, is anyone planning to walk away from the Reds as a result of K-Hunt's actions and/or the QRU /ARU punishment?

I say this an as classic armchair lawyer. Anyone with any legal experience care to share an opinion?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The ARU has clearly thought about the impact of having recreational drug users in their professional playing ranks, and what to do about it. They have an existing policy involving carrots and sticks (fines, rehab and education programmes, and life skills training sessions), which by all accounts they have applied in this instance.

Thursday's rugby news indicated that the ARU were intending to revise that policy in the near future.

One may have formulated an opinion as to whether a quantity of 12.5 grammes is only for personal use or not, but the facts are that the Court has been satisfied with Mr KHunt's admission that it was and they have moved on. Insofar as ARU and QRU are concerned, his actions are in the You're a Dick range, and not You're a Bad Arse Drugs Suppling Criminal range, with the latter category falling well into the "Game has been Disreputed" and therefore we have grounds to sack you.

While a No Dickheads policy is to be applauded, there are plenty of players who have been Dick, when given a chance to redeem themselves, they have hoisted the relevant lessons on board and demonstrated that they can put their Diskish behaviour behind them. It remains to be seen if KHunt falls into this category. He has been given one hell of an almighty dose of real world reality, and what happens next will define his character. I think he will rise to the occasion and put this sorry chapter behind him, going on to be a real asset for the Reds.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The only thing I would have liked to seen change would be that his suspension should have been for Super Rugby only.

I think a couple of weeks training & playing club in front of 200 while being a marked man and enjoying cold showers would have been "character building"

Hans

Fred Wood (13)
The only thing I would have liked to seen change would be that his suspension should have been for Super Rugby only.

I think a couple of weeks training & playing club in front of 200 while being a marked man and enjoying cold showers would have been "character building"

That is a cracking idea!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm sure they got Hunt to pinky promise that he wouldn't touch cocaine again.

You'd think after 2014 - and Harmichael's game against the Brums - that BP would have thought "Fuck it. I don't need any more of this shit. Lets keep the blokes who have less potential for damaging the code rather than letting them go off to Europe/Japan"

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

Are there any cold showers in BrisVegas at the moment?

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Dylan Walker lost his ring.

Lffqx89.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
My language was a bit loose there. I should have said "criminal history" rather than "criminal record" but the difference is splitting hairs.

Technicality is the soul of Law.

Amazing the amount of outrage this has caused in social media. Various uneducated bogans screaming "THIS IS A JOKE!" when really, its about all any one of us would get in the same circumstances...

Well except we don't have $30K to throw at our employer. We might just lose our jobs depending on how generous they were feeling at the time, or how repentant we appeared.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
Amazing the amount of outrage this has caused in social media. Various uneducated bogans screaming "THIS IS A JOKE!" when really, its about all any one of us would get in the same circumstances.

I'm not too certain any of us 'regular joes' would even be in the frame for what he did.

Seriously, unless pulled over for a random breath test and the cops saw a packet of cocaine in the car, would any of US be subject to a police investigation as a user? (given what seems to be not much coke spread over four purchases)

I think he is the victim of his high profile actually. He may have gotten what 'any of us would under the circumstances' but I somehow wonder if WE would have been in court in the first place.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Technicality is the soul of Law.

Amazing the amount of outrage this has caused in social media. Various uneducated bogans screaming "THIS IS A JOKE!" when really, its about all any one of us would get in the same circumstances.

Well except we don't have $30K to throw at our employer. We might just lose our jobs depending on how generous they were feeling at the time, or how repentant we appeared.
I agree,it's difficult to say he got off light when the offence pre dated his employment,especially when you compare it to KB (Kurtley Beale) whose activities in the workplace constitutes instant dismissal in many businesses.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not too certain any of us 'regular joes' would even be in the frame for what he did.

Seriously, unless pulled over for a random breath test and the cops saw a packet of cocaine in the car, would any of US be subject to a police investigation as a user? (given what seems to be not much coke spread over four purchases)

I think he is the victim of his high profile actually. He may have gotten what 'any of us would under the circumstances' but I somehow wonder if WE would have been in court in the first place.

He's the 'victim' of buying from someone a lot further up the chain than the average joe would be buying their coke from. A big part of that comes from his high profile and the sporting links.

Most drug dealers that your average joe would buy from would never be powerful enough to be the subject of a sophisticated CCC investigation.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Wow ... Wendle Sailor must be rolling his eyes...

I trust Hunt will be drug tested often by the Reds & ARU...

Queensland, Laws one day none the next...

"Four separate purchases of cocaine over a 33-day period last year, one outside a takeaway pizza shop and another outside a luxury hotel, brought one of Australia's most highly regarded professional footballers to the attention of crime authorities investigating a major drug distribution network on the Gold Coast...."

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sailor failed an official in season drug test.

He was sanctioned under WADA rules. He couldn't go back to the NRL until his two year suspension ended either.

At this point in time, Hunt hasn't failed a drug test.

I find it funny that anyone is even trying to correlate the two.

Wendell also wasn't charged by police or had to front a criminal court.

Status
Not open for further replies.