• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I think the drama is that it is a statement at all.
“Kurtley is a good mate of mine, I loved playing with him this year so fingers crossed it all goes well with him, and it is a just outcome,” Foley said. “Whatever happens (with Beale potentially joining the tour), happens.”
I'm pretty sick of hearing quotes from players at all. Foley is clearly putting his support behind Kurtley and to do so reflects poorly on him.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't blame the player, blame the journos that ask him stupid questions that invoke a response about the whole thing. Foley's answer is pretty diplomatic, at no stage does he say KB (Kurtley Beale) should get away with it, he's just saying he wants a just outcome and is supporting his mate. I don't see why supporting KB (Kurtley Beale) is a poor reflection on him, doesn't condone what he did at all.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You cannot be serious, you want our players telling the media 'no comment'? Yeah that will go down well I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
You cannot be serious, you want our players telling the media 'no comment'? Yeah that will go down well I'm sure. :rolleyes:
As serious as a heart attack. There are times (not many, granted) when it is a perfectly acceptable response. There are other times when it's the only acceptable response. This is one of those times.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
They're not being interviewed by the Police, giving a no comment response would get be seen as being hostile to the media and reported as such. It's exactly what Darius Boyd did and got slammed for.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
What he, or hooper for that matter, said doesn't make him, the team, the ARU and the culture look all that wonderful either.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Huh? Exactly. They are not being interviewed by the police so they don't have to answer any questions.
Foley is a big boy. He wasn't forced to do anything. He went on record and publicly supported Beale. Don't blame the journos. He said it and he can fucking own it.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Foley supported Beale as a friend and then went on to insinuate that if there were consequences, Kurtley would have to deal with them.

I don't think his statement is really all that comparable to Hooper's, considering Foley added that bit about there actually being potential consequences to all of this.

These guys aren't just going to turn on their mate over this. You can't expect that. The biggest problem with Hooper's statement was a total lack of acknowledgement that there would be consequences for what Kurtley did.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Deadset serious. I'm tired of "senior wallabies" leaking shit to the media, others who clearly have no reason (i.e. they're not the board chair, CEO, coach or captain) to be commenting giving their opinion to journos.

Journos are always going to ask the questions, it's on the team to be professional in how they deal with it.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
What is wrong with supporting Beale??? Hooper said he didn't want Beale sacked which was wrong, given it's implying what Beale did is not sackable. Foley hasn't done anything of the sort. Teammates should support each other.

In my book what Beale has shown disrespect for women in the most vile of ways. If thats cool with you then so be it. What Hooper is saying is that he has no problem with it. Foley is coming to close to saying that.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
They're not being interviewed by the Police, giving a no comment response would get be seen as being hostile to the media and reported as such. It's exactly what Darius Boyd did and got slammed for.

But Foley coming out and saying he hopes it is a "just outcome" for his mate Beale insinuates that the trial will be unjust if Beale is not able to play with him next year. How about urging fairness for all parties involved?

How hard is it for these blokes to err on the side of caution, and just say "I support my mate but I wont comment on the hearing because I don't want to prejudice the ruling."

T

Train Without a Station

This is the bit I love, it just seems so bizarre that no one could possibly invent it.
Even my fucking mother in law. Who is like a dog with a bone,would know it's somewhat inappropriate to be discussing these things at that time.
Does she think the players have a credit card in their socks, or was she expecting him to pull out a couple of hundreds from his boots?

All I said, was it's hardly bullying to remind somebody they owe a bill, regardless of when. I didn't say it was appropriate. Perhaps Beale told her he'd have it sorted out by Saturday and it still wasn't?

Regardless it was an error in judgement - even the best sports administrators in the world have them (I don't know if they exist though because according to the media they're all ducking hopeless).

If a manager brought up an outstanding issue with you right before one of the biggest meetings of the year, would that be bullying?

Status
Not open for further replies.