• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Le Tour 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Can Evans take time from Wiggins in the mountains? Will be interesting.

I can't bring myself to like Wiggins at all. Froome is the goods though. Seems like a good guy when interviewed as well.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Wiggins hasn't been tested in the mountains yet and Cadel we know is very capable there. Still a long way to go fellas. Wiggins was mighty on that TT though and frankly you'd rather be him right now than anyone else.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Stupid Wiggins with his stupid side burns. Seriously why would he think sideburns look good.

If Cadel doesn't win this, I hope Froome does. He has come from just being a workhorse for Wiggins into a genuine contender, seems like a humble bloke aswell.

Still 10 days of racing left, plenty of time for Evans to chew time off each day, but by the last time trial he'll have to be in yellow by a minute to have any chance.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Stupid Wiggins with his stupid side burns. Seriously why would he think sideburns look good.

If Cadel doesn't win this, I hope Froome does. He has come from just being a workhorse for Wiggins into a genuine contender, seems like a humble bloke aswell.

Still 10 days of racing left, plenty of time for Evans to chew time off each day, but by the last time trial he'll have to be in yellow by a minute to have any chance.

I think you will see Froome drop away in the next few days. The riders say that there are many riders that can compete for the first ten days but only a few that can sustain that kind of racing for 20.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think you will see Froome drop away in the next few days. The riders say that there are many riders that can compete for the first ten days but only a few that can sustain that kind of racing for 20.

This is true, but Froome finished stronger than Wiggins in the Vuelta last year (and came 2nd). If Sky had been riding for Froome instead of Wiggins, Froome would already have won a grand tour.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
So Cadel knows he's going to have to attack Wiggens in the mountains and needs to make up at least 3 min before the final time trial but 4-5 min would be better.

Looking at tonight's stage a very steep climb ~40 km before the finish then a long decent broken up by a medium climb and a final little kick up to the finish. To me its got Cadel written all over it. The hill to tire out the time trialists, the decent and short hill combo into the finish and he's a better than average climber capable of sustained efforts. I also think he's a strong descender and technical bike rider from mountain biking but can't think of an example (maybe I'm just dreaming it, there is a lot of napping on the couch involved in watching le tour).

The problem is tomorrow's stage is a big one and with a cat 1 summit finish its possible to loss 5+ min if you have a bad day so you have to keep some powder dry. It will also depend on how Wiggens looks (+Froome) and Cadel feels but I think he should have a bit of a go at the top of both the last climbs and at least try and make Wiggens uncomfortable. It would also be interesting to test Froome's temperament being only 11 sec behind Cadel and being a real possibility of getting a podium finish. if Cadel breaks on a hill Froome is good enough to go with him but is Frrome good enough to tow Wiggens as well.

Its probably not best for Cadel to be in yellow yet with the way BMC have fallen away in the mountains but If I was him I'd be looking to strike back quickly and make up a minute or so on Wiggens tonight.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Cadel is still in a good position at the moment. Nabali needs to take time off both Cadel and Wiggins, so he needs to attack before Cadel does. So if Nabili does go early today, and Cadel goes with him they could work together to take a bit of time out of Wiggins.

Basically, Cadel just needs to keep hanging on, which is what he has always been good at (not an attacking rider).

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Cadel said in an interview he will look to form an alliance with Orica-GreenEdge for the mountain stages. Makes sense, Greenedge's main objective is to help Matty Goss with the sprints, so the mountain stages are of little importance to them. O'Grady in particular would be valuable.

Everyone is talking about Evans, Nibali and Menchov now having to take risks, but does anyone know if Wiggins will past? He may struggle after days in the Alps and Perinese, he may fall away (like Contador did last year).

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
I agree he's not knowm as an attacking rider but I get the feeling he's coming to the realisation he'll have to attack if he wants to win. Personally I'd love to see him shrug of that tag and believe the time is now becasuse his advantage is in the mountains not the time trial in this tour.

Now that he's defending champ he's as marked as the yellow jersey no one wants to give him a leg up just yet as he's dangerous. Maybe on on a summit finish Nabili will start an attack hopeing to pull away from Cadel towards the end.

Like I said I like the look of the stage for Cadel, his best bet is to get someone who is a long way back trying to make up time and shooting for a stage win. Voeckler (sp?) maybe?

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Young Taramaee might give it a go over the next few stages, not only to make up time but also for KOM jersey he isn't too far off.

On another note, how awesome is the Tour Tracker app? Best sports app I've ever used.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Whilst Evans doesn't have the explosive speed to be a great attacker (ie he can't shed riders quickly), he does grind them down and the way he limited losses and won the tour last year should not be forgotten. If Wiggins is to win, he's going to have to beat Cadel every day.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep, Cadel is a great all round rider and shouldn't wilt in the hills. Wiggens is untested there for mine and it could be that he implodes. We'll see I guess.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
So Cadel knows he's going to have to attack Wiggens in the mountains and needs to make up at least 3 min before the final time trial but 4-5 min would be better.

Looking at tonight's stage a very steep climb ~40 km before the finish then a long decent broken up by a medium climb and a final little kick up to the finish. To me its got Cadel written all over it. The hill to tire out the time trialists, the decent and short hill combo into the finish and he's a better than average climber capable of sustained efforts. I also think he's a strong descender and technical bike rider from mountain biking but can't think of an example (maybe I'm just dreaming it, there is a lot of napping on the couch involved in watching le tour).

The problem is tomorrow's stage is a big one and with a cat 1 summit finish its possible to loss 5+ min if you have a bad day so you have to keep some powder dry. It will also depend on how Wiggens looks (+Froome) and Cadel feels but I think he should have a bit of a go at the top of both the last climbs and at least try and make Wiggens uncomfortable. It would also be interesting to test Froome's temperament being only 11 sec behind Cadel and being a real possibility of getting a podium finish. if Cadel breaks on a hill Froome is good enough to go with him but is Frrome good enough to tow Wiggens as well.

Its probably not best for Cadel to be in yellow yet with the way BMC have fallen away in the mountains but If I was him I'd be looking to strike back quickly and make up a minute or so on Wiggens tonight.

Great post mate - that would fit perfectly on a certain blog.... http://www.greenandgoldcycling.com/

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Yesterday! We need contributors!

(thanks for the comment btw)

Check out where the forum link goes....

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Sad for Matt Lloyd to pull out. He is a proper climber and was touted as a possible polka dot jersey winner. I've been surprised he wasn't in the action on the early mountain stages. However, I guess that reinforces the point that Evans and others have been making that we haven't hit the true mountain stages yet and Sky hasn't been properly tested in the mountains yet. The work Sky do to manage the coming stages will be fascinating.

For mine, this is a great tour already and a really interesting course. For example, there are a few stages with big climbs early in the day. That will shake up the peloton and probably means that some of the weaker climbing domestiques will be dropped earlier in the day rather than on the last climb. This will probably see some of the GC contenders isolated earlier and having to work together. This is what Evans has been saying for the last few days, but looking at the stages to come, I now understand why. The highlights of this tour are still to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.