• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

League Targets

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sadly this is true, I bet Nathan Cleary could’ve done a better job against Fiji … and he’s never played fly half
Didn’t he play a fair bit of rugby growing up in NZ and I doubt he would have done any better with Nick White kicking away all our possession. But he could have done a far better job at 9

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Gotta be glad Rugby Australia didn’t spend a bomb on NAS.

If you’re watching the prelim between the Storm and Panthers you can see what an idiot he is. He would make Swinton look good.

Not even close to the same level as Haas, Tino and even Carrigan.
If we are going to throw truckloads of cash at players we can't effort why wouldn't it be Cleary?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
He’s zero chance. You’d need 3 mil to get him.

Whilst I don’t disagree that he would be expensive, if the Panthers do a three peat this year, maybe the carrot of turning the Wallabies into a winner could sway him.

If he’s got legacy on his mind, there is probably unfinished business for the NSW blues, but leading a team to three consecutive prems in the NRL puts him on a very high pedestal already.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Nathan would be fantastic but unfortunately I don’t see him leaving the Panthers while Ivan is there. Their both signed through to 2027 unfortunately.

If you were to have a crack at him you would have to sell the idea of being a sporting legend if he could be a dual World Cup winner. Would be very hard though as he’s on track to break Smiths point scoring record and it’s possible he could be a 5 time Premiership winner by the end of 2027. Hard to sell and would completely rely of his own desire.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Nathan would be fantastic but unfortunately I don’t see him leaving the Panthers while Ivan is there. Their both signed through to 2027 unfortunately.

If you were to have a crack at him you would have to sell the idea of being a sporting legend if he could be a dual World Cup winner. Would be very hard though as he’s on track to break Smiths point scoring record and it’s possible he could be a 5 time Premiership winner by the end of 2027. Hard to sell and would completely rely of his own desire.
Interesting though, I could see Ivan backing him to make the switch. And possibly wanting to get involved himself, if they get the threepeat there isn’t much more they can achieve at the Panfers. As we have seen with Angus Crichton there is detail in these contracts we don’t see I.e he can break it to switch to rugby but not go to another NRL club. I’m not suggesting the Clearys would have the same clause, but there is always an out written into contracts.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It surprised me to see 2027 but makes sense from the Panthers to silence anything.

It always seems like Ivan could just say I’ve had enough now. He’s been an NRL coach for a long time now and this will be his 5th GF. I don’t see him being a guy who does it till he’s 80 like Bennett or Sheens.

Cleary is 25. He could also go to Rugby and back to League if he wanted to.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It’s tricky because it’s specific skill sets that can translate. Even in reverse. For example I don’t think Will Jordan would get a gig in any NRL team but a Nanai-Seturo would. One is obviously better at Rugby than the other.

Bailey wouldn’t be bad but I’d think he’d be getting offers around 400-500k in League and plenty of teams would sign him. If Rugby didn’t have to go much over that then sure I’d be happy to see him play.

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
he was the best schoolboy kid i have ever seen. immediately would elevate any super rugby team and has shown huge improvement so would back him to make it

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who’s he play for and what position does he play now? What would he play in rugby and what did he play in rugby?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Who’s he play for and what position does he play now? What would he play in rugby and what did he play in rugby?
Playing for Parramatta the last couple of season. Raiders before that. NZ7s in 2018

Wing in the NRL but was a Fullback for Newington from memory. Very good player back then who does have a kicking game in him although been out away being a League Winger.

Reactions: dru

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
It’s tricky because it’s specific skill sets that can translate. Even in reverse. For example I don’t think Will Jordan would get a gig in any NRL team but a Nanai-Seturo would. One is obviously better at Rugby than the other.

Bailey wouldn’t be bad but I’d think he’d be getting offers around 400-500k in League and plenty of teams would sign him. If Rugby didn’t have to go much over that then sure I’d be happy to see him play.
Sorry, pulled my previous reply when looked up his history and I saw he was indeed experienced in rugby.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He was a kid wanted by both codes and NZ at the time of schooling.

I think some of his skill is lost/wasted in league. He’s just a good enough athlete and big enough 188cm 97kg to play Wing. Only 25 which is a positive.