• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

League Targets

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
Would it be worth pursuing Kalyn Ponga? He's been the best full-back in the comp this year (imo) and would be a gun winger in Union. Also watched a video where Cleary discussed the switch to union for the world cup and definitely looks like he has been considering it.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Would it be worth pursuing Kalyn Ponga? He's been the best full-back in the comp this year (imo) and would be a gun winger in Union. Also watched a video where Cleary discussed the switch to union for the world cup and definitely looks like he has been considering it.

He says he wants to play our game like Jordy says he wants to play NRL only when his contract is up. He ain’t coming atm he is the highest paid player & living upto it. He would cost us $2+

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He’s on similar money to what JS has been offered already. Add in the endorsements he’d be getting and it wouldn’t surprise me to hear he’s earning 2m+ per year.

Id be interested to know what companies like Adidas would think about Ponga, Cleary etc if they swapped. They have been signed for the market here and their popularity. Saying Rugby is global doesn’t get it done because now you’re in the tier with Soccer Players, Basketball players and what not.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeh who’s the last rugby player that got the Lebron/Messi treatment?

Probably Dan Carter many moons ago, he seemed to be pushed a fair bit by Adidas.

Charlotte Caslick probably the closest thing Australia currently has to a global rugby icon, she seems to get promoted as the women’s face by ASICS a fair bit.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
I was at the game with a bunch of mates (first League game in 30 years!). JS is a real talent - anyone who thinks he would not be worth pursuing is nuts. I suspect Uncle Nick might find some loose change under the Salary Sombrero to keep him...
I have been totally in favour of signing the kid. However, if he is having second thoughts, we should let him stay in the NRL. Mind you, he would have to pay up for breaking his contract.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

Probably Dan Carter many moons ago, he seemed to be pushed a fair bit by Adidas.

Charlotte Caslick probably the closest thing Australia currently has to a global rugby icon, she seems to get promoted as the women’s face by ASICS a fair bit.

Carter then probably Wilkinson before that. Obviously Lomu moved the needle in the 90s.

Caslick is used in our region and she’s easy to market as people don’t even have to know she’s an athlete it was just how she got a start.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I have been totally in favour of signing the kid. However, if he is having second thoughts, we should let him stay in the NRL. Mind you, he would have to pay up for breaking his contract.
Is there word he actually is having second thoughts?

I thought Cyclo was just saying he’s worth chasing if your the NRL and the Roosters themselves.

He’s still signed for League all of next year and I expect him to see it out with the way the Roosters are finishing the year and I imagine they run it back. After that I don’t know who would match the offer that would be a desirable location in the NRL. You’re looking at the Dragons, Tigers with cash but you’re going to be playing for spoons.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)

Dupont is well on his way, probably just needs this World Cup to get him there.

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
hadnt seen why Tolu Koula was getting rated and mentioned as a big money recruit but last two weeks been unreal. whoever's leaking/in charge of recruiting doing a good job with the league targets

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Only 20 and has played 38 games in the NRL.

With a 10.58 100m time as a school boy is pretty special. He’s got a lot of things that a recruiter wants. Last week he had 3 try assists and 3 line breaks. He’s not just a greyhound.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Agree. I think he’d only be a Winger in Rugby.

Potentially a Fullback but you would have to change a teams game style to suit. Only comparison I can think of at 15 is Jason Robinson

Top Bottom