• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

League Targets

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It’s pretty deep- you look at players like Matt Burton or Jack Wighton who aren’t necessarily even Origin players, and I think both would be very handy.

Wighton has played 10 origin games. I think he’s very much an origin standard player.

Burton has played two but is only 23 and will likely play a few more.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
League players are generally playing league because they love it. Same with rugby players. If you throw big cash at a league player to come over for the hype personally I think it is a waste. Unless we get them from schoolboys before they head to league their heart is not really in it. Far better that we encourage our younger rugby players to head overseas to get valuable rugby experience and more game time. Super rugby just isn’t long enough imho. Even if it’s just for a year to help in their development.
That’s the problem super rugby is dogshit

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Wighton has played 10 origin games. I think he’s very much an origin standard player.

Burton has played two but is only 23 and will likely play a few more.
They’re both unlikely to start next year though which highlights the depth of backline players.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I know it’s already been said he’s likely going to French Rugby but Joey Manu is so so good.

Roosters v Broncos game in Vegas he’s the best on the field easily and doing a job on good players.

I don’t see how he isn’t a top 10 13 in the world by his 2nd season. Worried the ABs will have him 2027. He’ll only be 31 at the time.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I know it’s already been said he’s likely going to French Rugby but Joey Manu is so so good.

Roosters v Broncos game in Vegas he’s the best on the field easily and doing a job on good players.

I don’t see how he isn’t a top 10 13 in the world by his 2nd season. Worried the ABs will have him 2027. He’ll only be 31 at the time.

all week the Fox panel talked up how good of a prospect Reece Walsh was but the departing rugby union players on rooster where phenomenal.

they were very careful not to mention their futures in the post game wrap up.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)
all week the Fox panel talked up how good of a prospect Reece Walsh was but the departing rugby union players on rooster where phenomenal.

Haha so true .. the commentators were very reluctant in praising them today

and

I pretty sure Sua'ali'i was penalised at one point just for got to union lol :)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

JS was great as well. Still so young and he’s bodying guys.

Walsh got a lesson in playing 80mins today by Teddy. He has undeniable talent but still young so it’s flighty.

Manu just does what he wants. He’s playing five eight and fullback with an ok kick on him. Good enough to be a 13 in Rugby and not be one dimensional.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Jack Howarth being allowed to negotiate with other Clubs.

Never saw him play School Boy Rugby but was he as good as he seemed sought after or is he Tepai Moeroa 2.0? Only 21 though so plenty of options for him.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jack Howarth being allowed to negotiate with other Clubs.

Never saw him play School Boy Rugby but was he as good as he seemed sought after or is he Tepai Moeroa 2.0? Only 21 though so plenty of options for him.
$2m for 1 NRL game. Melbourne don't get too many wrong but I couldn't see how this kids skills would transfer against men.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Was one of the best schoolboys that year, interesting to know how it’s gone wrong. They backed him with massive $$$

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Big shift to go from School Boy Rugby Centre to NRL Backrow.

While it’s still the Storm they aren’t the same Storm of 5 years ago where you can bring through a kid with stars in the pack. They’d want impact right now which he isn’t in a position to do. Move him for the right offer and spend it on established players.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Thanks. Wasn't sure but makes sense given the contract he signed with the Storm.

Only 21 so plenty of time and its rare for someone that age to be an established Forward.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Big shift to go from School Boy Rugby Centre to NRL Backrow.

While it’s still the Storm they aren’t the same Storm of 5 years ago where you can bring through a kid with stars in the pack. They’d want impact right now which he isn’t in a position to do. Move him for the right offer and spend it on established players.

Is it really? A crash ball 12 plays a lot like a a NRL edge backrower

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah he put on a clinic last night. Timing of his passing is incredible.

More chance of a UK team to be close to his gf. Have a feeling Sale Sharks don't have that coin.

We'll never see him in Rugby. He's a fun what if, but he'd be making 1.5-2m now with Sponsors, 3rd party deals and rep payments.