• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Link or White?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Linebacker_41

I'm not sure that the large Waratahs contingent would appreciate White's fitness regime...

Ha - I dont think the Tahs would like Link's fitness regime as I am sure that Link would bring Damian Marsh from the Reds with him to Wallaby land.

Mind you with Ash Jones now at the Wallabies I expect the tahs are going to be put through the grinder.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ha - I dont think the Tahs would like Link's fitness regime as I am sure that Link would bring Damian Marsh from the Reds with him to Wallaby land.

Mind you with Ash Jones now at the Wallabies I expect the tahs are going to be put through the grinder.

Surely by now everyone at Waratahland realises what a mistake that was. I am sure the proponents of the lighter training regime aren't feeling too good about making the suggestion.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Alan Jones. As a coach he is the best "salesman" available and we need someone capable of selling rugby to the masses.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Why do people have an issue with an overseas coach but not having overseas born players in the team.
Is there a difference?
In most cases the overseas-born players have spent much, if not all, of their lives in Aus and the coaches are usually fresh off the boat, so to speak.

Not saying it actually makes a material difference to performance but there may be one in perception

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Perhaps this thread could be split, with part (b) being: "Link or White for 2012 Australian Domestic Rugby Coach of The Year"?!

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
In most cases the overseas-born players have spent much, if not all, of their lives in Aus and the coaches are usually fresh off the boat, so to speak.
See where you are coming from, but looking at the Saffa a lot of them came out after school. For eg Rathbone and Vickerman.

I think that Braveheart is closer to the point. If there is success who gives a damn.

L

Linebacker_41

Well that's link, it's whatever team finishes higher. No discussion, it's the rule.

Exactly, didn't Link miss out in 2010 when he brought the then cellar dwellars of Australian rugby to within 1 win of the playoffs.

Even though he was clearly coach of the year that year Chris Hickey was awarded the gong.

IMO the same applies this year, White has clearly done the best job of refloating a shipwreck yet I would expect Link to get the award.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Alan Jones. As a coach he is the best "salesman" available and we need someone capable of selling rugby to the masses.

Are you serious? He wouldn't get a gig coaching a club side these days. The most important part of selling rugby to the masses is to win. What could the Parrot do to lead the Wallabies to victory?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Exactly, didn't Link miss out in 2010 when he brought the then cellar dwellars of Australian rugby to within 1 win of the playoffs.

Even though he was clearly coach of the year that year Chris Hickey was awarded the gong.

IMO the same applies this year, White has clearly done the best job of refloating a shipwreck yet I would expect Link to get the award.

The award goes to the coach of the highest place side, their isn't any opinion in it. Hickey deserved it over link anyway, apparently the Tahs are completely rotten so a coach with the ability to get them into the playoffs has to be a master.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I'm not sure that the large Waratahs contingent would appreciate White's fitness regime...

So do people think the Waratah's lower fitness levels is a result of player laziness?

That will come as a relief to the Tahs supporters who were blaming it on endemic problems with systems and coaching.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Well that's link, it's whatever team finishes higher. No discussion, it's the rule.

Hey WJ, thank you for 'enlightening' me. That's why I'm a member of this forum, because the opportunity exists for one to learn "rugby stuff" every day!! Are coaches from Shute Shield or Bris Vegas Premier Rugby comps excluded from "domestic coach of the year", if they bring a team from bottom of the heap to undefeated premiers in one season?!! (I guess the same applies for suburban or country coaches). My worst year was taking an undefeated colts team to a grand final and losing that match in the last 10 minutes, boy that really hurts!!

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I wouldn't select him but he does have some interesting tactics.
When he coached at the Tigers, he used to send his team out a man short, so only 12 players took to the field.
Apparently he hated locks because they stopped the scrum from screwing.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

The fact that a large portion of Australia perceives Jones as a muckraking political radical considerably reduces his usefulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.