• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm pretty nervous about that back line, Roberts in particular.

Why? Davies has been terrible in the test series despite playing 13 for most of the tests, Roberts isn't fit and has been woeful for nearly a year. Halfpenny is no better than a robotic kicking leg because he is shackled by the tactics and Bowe and North are being used as kick chasers. If Smith and then Hooper wreck the ball these players aren't good on the back foot, Wallabies backrow will be winning of the game.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Why? Davies has been terrible in the test series despite playing 13 for most of the tests, Roberts isn't fit and has been woeful for nearly a year. Halfpenny is no better than a robotic kicking leg because he is shackled by the tactics and Bowe and North are being used as kick chasers. If Smith and then Hooper wreck the ball these players aren't good on the back foot, Wallabies backrow will be winning of the game.
Although it was a different standard of opposition I was impressed how they played against the Tahs and I'm always pessimistic before big games.

PS: like your new signature

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
This is gatlands first choice back line. Brave call to pick it.
Even in my widest anti lions dreams I could not have imagined that Gatland would make the concept of the Lions so unpopular. Fans from the other three countries are saying they will be hoping for an Australia win on Saturday. So even if the Lions win there will be a level of disappointment. Gatland's dreams of coaching NZ have gone up in flames as well, Gwan the Aussies!!!

RangersFC

Frank Row (1)
I think no matter what happens Saturday Gatland...rightly or wrongly....will now be the man remembered for denying BOD the chance to put the polish on a wonderful career. At least a place on the bench was deserved. Right BOD hasn't been at his best so far but with our captain out and O'Connell out leadership and inspiration is needed. BODs presence even on the bench could have been crucial. Anyway can't change it so we will just have to get in about them from the start.

And dunno about yous but in a battle between a Lion and a wallaby....I know who I'm backing! :D :D

LIONS! LIONS!

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Who else is going to run the lineout if Parling isn't there? Messers Gatland, Howley and Rowntree should be the ones taking the flack if the Lions lose, selection and mainly tactics are the big problems

The one lock they should have taken is Nathan Hines, the man is an animal!

Doesn't make any difference who's calling the lineout if the bloody hooker can't hit a barn door. All three hookers have been shockingly poor in that department. (although all 3 had previous, so we shouldn't be surprised)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Doesn't make any difference who's calling the lineout if the bloody hooker can't hit a barn door. All three hookers have been shockingly poor in that department. (although all 3 had previous, so we shouldn't be surprised)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

The line out is about so , so much more than the hooker hitting his man. The timing of some of the lifting has been fecking terrible and some of the lifting, looking at you unfit Adam Jones, has been pitiful. Everyone is quick enough to blame the hooker and Best has a serious case of the yips but, is it possible to get a line out up to scratch in the time the Lions have? I really do not believe it is and with players getting bigger the challenge becomes ever greater. Is it possible for a team to compete with a line out that is being constantly challenged as the Lions have been? NO. The line out is the only means of getting the forwards out of the way because the scrum is essentially a lottery; if you have to throw to 2 or shorten the LO you lose that advantage. The Gatland PR machine has done a good job of dropping BOD and thereby deflecting attention from the absence of a LO option in the back row.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez Paddy if 3/4 of Lions fans are wanting Wallabies win on Sat, mainly it seems because of BOD not being there, it shows why they never win series, no decent support!!!
Mind you, like I always say why it would be so much following them, when they lose ,you can just blame players from another country!!

HSM

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree Wales F, I have been a bit disappointed with BOD in tests this tour, but can't say I have seen enough of centres to have a real strong opinion what pairings would be best.
HSM, although I can understand what you are saying re Tipuric, I don't think you should ever pick your team to try and cancel out the effect one player would have (ie G Smith), you are then saying that the opposition is going to be the team to dictate the style of game, which I find a little negative.

Interesting point Dan, but I don't think it's negative to say "Australia was under pressure at the breakdown - they're probably going to try and have a bigger impact there - we need to maintain that pressure by playing a true 7." I agree in general, but I think Smith is the sort of player that you can afford to alter your plans for.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
It seems you don't consider any of the Welsh players worthy of a test place, Warburton has been the centre of your criticism when most people I talk to on the web and at work think he has been very good.
You now vilify 1/2P who has been the stand out player of the series so far, Davies who your own BOD praised for his playing ability in one particular game, Roberts is also getting your attention, Its a little pathetic.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Even in my widest anti lions dreams I could not have imagined that Gatland would make the concept of the Lions so unpopular. Fans from the other three countries are saying they will be hoping for an Australia win on Saturday. So even if the Lions win there will be a level of disappointment. Gatland's dreams of coaching NZ have gone up in flames as well, Gwan the Aussies!!!

You've got three of the best Irish boys ever to play the game in the starting 15 (there would have been at least one more if POC was fit) and you are supporting the opposition. The games played have been great to watch and ffing close. pathetic!

You take the national coach of the most successful coach in NH, force him to go on sabbatical, we still win the 6N. And then wonder why, when the chips are down, he goes for the players that he knows can play to the game plan. Let's imagine that the Irish coach had been selected. Tell how much better the Lions would have been under Kidney.

It's a big call dropping BoD but the reaction from Irish pundits beggars belief. As for the idea that the Lions fans are going for Aus, I'd suggest you need to move away from munsterfans. You are mistaken. The fans I've met here don't reflect your views at all.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Geez Paddy if 3/4 of Lions fans are wanting Wallabies win on Sat, mainly it seems because of BOD not being there, it shows why they never win series, no decent support!!!
Mind you, like I always say why it would be so much following them, when they lose ,you can just blame players from another country!!
But you do realise that one disgruntled, continually carping Irishman is not a representaive sample to judge the Lions support, or to determne whether 3/4 Lions fans are really supporting the Australians

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
It seems you don't consider any of the Welsh players worthy of a test place, Warburton has been the centre of your criticism when most people I talk to on the web and at work think he has been very good.
You now vilify 1/2P who has been the stand out player of the series so far, Davies who your own BOD praised for his playing ability in one particular game, Roberts is also getting your attention, Its a little pathetic.

I actually said Halfpenny was shackled by the tactics, if he was allowed to counter attack he'd be a damn good 15 but he just kicks the ball away. If kicking goals makes you the player of the series then you have some low expectations of our players. FWIW AWJ is probably my MOTS for the Lions right now.

If you thought Warburton was a good selection until the 2nd test you missed all of this season where his performances (England aside) verged from pathetic to disinterested. He was given far too much leeway to make the test squad because of his previous relationship with Gatland. Plus it looked like POC and BOD did most of the talking to the playing group and referee so we didn't get to see his famed ref whispering in action

There are plently of Welsh players worth their place on the team (6 by my count), I just don't think selecting two similar players both out of form is the way to go. Lets face it there have been Welsh players given a chance to get their form whilst others haven't been given a fair crack.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think no matter what happens Saturday Gatland.rightly or wrongly..will now be the man remembered for denying BOD the chance to put the polish on a wonderful career. At least a place on the bench was deserved. Right BOD hasn't been at his best so far but with our captain out and O'Connell out leadership and inspiration is needed. BODs presence even on the bench could have been crucial. Anyway can't change it so we will just have to get in about them from the start.

And dunno about yous but in a battle between a Lion and a wallaby..I know who I'm backing! :D :D

LIONS! LIONS!
Think this sums it up well. I'd have played BoD for experience and leadership in the last 5 minutes, something that Wales lacked last year. Mind, they lacked it last week too and BoD was playing.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I actually said Halfpenny was shackled by the tactics, if he was allowed to counter attack he'd be a damn good 15 but he just kicks the ball away. If kicking goals makes you the player of the series then you have some low expectations of our players. FWIW AWJ is probably my MOTS for the Lions right now.

If you thought Warburton was a good selection until the 2nd test you missed all of this season where his performances (England aside) verged from pathetic to disinterested. He was given far too much leeway to make the test squad because of his previous relationship with Gatland. Plus it looked like POC and BOD did most of the talking to the playing group and referee so we didn't get to see his famed ref whispering in action

There are plently of Welsh players worth their place on the team (6 by my count), I just don't think selecting two similar players both out of form is the way to go. Lets face it there have been Welsh players given a chance to get their form whilst others haven't been given a fair crack.
Warbs played brilliantly until he was injured last weekend so it is just as well you wern't picking the side, and to call 1/2p a robotic kicking machine is ludicrous. As for judging levels of interest amongst the welsh, apart from 40 sparkling minutes in the 6N against us, how much interest would you judge that the Irish showed this year?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
You take the national coach of the most successful coach in NH, force him to go on sabbatical, we still win the 6N. And then wonder why, when the chips are down, he goes for the players that he knows can play to the game plan. Let's imagine that the Irish coach had been selected. Tell how much better the Lions would have been under Kidney.

I think a lot of people in Ireland would have been delighted if Kidney had got the Lions job. But that would simply have been to get him away from the Ireland team he was holding back 1 year earlier.

Don't believe the Lions would have been better under any of the Lions nations coaches that were available. My personal gripe is with how narrow the field for Lions coach is. I'd much prefer to see an outside team of coaches brought in. I've no interest in seeing the Irish coach, coach the Lions.

On a personal note I don't like Gatland. But that won't stop me hoping that he becomes a Lions legend on Saturday. Not happy about BOD being dropped. Think a few Welsh players are lucky to be starting. But Gatland has faith in them and hopefully they'll repay that faith with top performances. Either way I'll be shouting my head off for the Lions on Saturday as I've done for every game so far.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think a lot of people in Ireland would have been delighted if Kidney had got the Lions job. But that would simply have been to get him away from the Ireland team he was holding back 1 year earlier.

Don't believe the Lions would have been better under any of the Lions nations coaches that were available. My personal gripe is with how narrow the field for Lions coach is. I'd much prefer to see an outside team of coaches brought in. I've no interest in seeing the Irish coach, coach the Lions.

On a personal note I don't like Gatland. But that won't stop me hoping that he becomes a Lions legend on Saturday. Not happy about BOD being dropped. Think a few Welsh players are lucky to be starting. But Gatland has faith in them and hopefully they'll repay that faith with top performances. Either way I'll be shouting my head off for the Lions on Saturday as I've done for every game so far.
this one

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Warbs played brilliantly until he was injured last weekend so it is just as well you wern't picking the side, and to call 1/2p a robotic kicking machine is ludicrous. As for judging levels of interest amongst the welsh, apart from 40 sparkling minutes in the 6N against us, how much interest would you judge that the Irish showed this year?

Yes he played well last week, but that doesn't erase the fact that he was picked as tour captain off probably his worst season since emerging and patchy performances in the warm ups and first test. I think he is a very talented player at the top of his game, however he hasn't consistently been there for a long time

I watched almost every Rabo and Heineken game available in Aus this year, and others that were available online. Halfpenny, AWJ and Adam Jones are the only Welsh who, IMO, produce anywhere near their best for their club sides. Warburtons performance against Leinster in the RDS was awful, he was outplayed by a 19 year old on debut. In fact he came out in an interview around that time saying he was focusing on getting himself fit for the Lions.

Read what I said he is shackled by the tactics making him no better than a kicking leg. He is an unbelievably talented bloke as are the two others in our back 3 but we are using them to kick and chase. The coaches need to give them license to counter attack, we aren't going to win kicking ball away as we've done for two tests

Status
Not open for further replies.