• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
I think I stated at the beginning of the tour that corbisero would be the lions first choice LH, as for player of the series this is a joke yeah?
Poor tactics and selections, well selections for sure, What on earth did bowe offer, so to heaslip, Felatau had a first class game and should have been there from the start.
Once gats back was against the Wall he picked a side he knew would deliver and they did spectacularly, gone were the politics of picking players from every country to appease the populous of the home nations and its journalists,
All-though gats has been vilified by you and other members of your country men, there are those that realise he made the right choices and have congratulated him and his team.
1/2 penny was rightly picked as the player of the series, Jamie Roberts in SA, must really be peeing you orf.:D

You did watch the second test? You thought those tactics were the way to go? As for the selection of Phillips you thought that was a good one? You really thought the approach to that Brumbies game was good? I'd called for Faletau to start for most of the tour. It isn't a case of Wales bad everyone else good you know. Just because a team wins rarely means mistakes haven't been made. I'd have loved the Lions to have won every game 50-0 with no errors but that didn't happen.

Corbiserio was the difference between the two sides thats why he should be MOTS. When he wasn't on the pitch the Lions lost control of the first test and lost the second. He was the match winner in the 3rd. Roberts was the Lions POTS in 09, this time I don't agree with the decision.

Never been a Gatland fan doesn't mean I'm not aware he has a great record as coach, even if it is a little boom and bust. Doesn't hide the fact that he regularly talks shite in the media particularly in the lead up to games with SH opposition where his team have backed it up once in 6 years. I can't wait for the 8th of Feb when he goes up against the only coach better than him in the NH, its going to be a cracker of a tactical battle between those to.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Dai if you are just going to pick all the players from one nation why not just play Australia as that nation? Personally I think it would have been a lot better if Wales could beat Aus by themselves and we could stop pretending that we all like each other when it is patently obvious that we don't. Anyway, probably be back on here in November, enjoy the quad nations, I will be interested to see how Australia get on, I suspect they might struggle but you never know.

Sorry plastic but this is bollocks. The feeling at the game amongst the supporters doesn't tally at all with your posts throughout the tour. There were innumerable irish tricolours at the game. The atmosphere at the game was amazing. Even the jocks without a player I the 15 were behind the lions. The aussiesupporters were great too. The whole tour has been a great event. I think you and anyone else who shares your views needs to take a long think about why they are griping about a game and a series that showed once again why rugby is such a great game

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Think corbs was the key to the win too. Adam was always going to hold his side of the scrum. Without corbs however, they would never have torn the Australian scrum apart like they did. He was for me too the difference. Shove is just about the best 15 in the world but the forwards won the series. But wasn't rugby ever thus? The forwards win the game the flashy backs reap the rewards.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
You did watch the second test? You thought those tactics were the way to go? As for the selection of Phillips you thought that was a good one? You really thought the approach to that Brumbies game was good? I'd called for Faletau to start for most of the tour. It isn't a case of Wales bad everyone else good you know. Just because a team wins rarely means mistakes haven't been made. I'd have loved the Lions to have won every game 50-0 with no errors but that didn't happen.

Corbiserio was the difference between the two sides thats why he should be MOTS. When he wasn't on the pitch the Lions lost control of the first test and lost the second. He was the match winner in the 3rd. Roberts was the Lions POTS in 09, this time I don't agree with the decision.

Never been a Gatland fan doesn't mean I'm not aware he has a great record as coach, even if it is a little boom and bust. Doesn't hide the fact that he regularly talks shite in the media particularly in the lead up to games with SH opposition where his team have backed it up once in 6 years. I can't wait for the 8th of Feb when he goes up against the only coach better than him in the NH, its going to be a cracker of a tactical battle between those to.

No I'm not a great lover of Phillips, but this constant nit picking of every thing Welsh and gats is wearing a little thin,
The brumbies game I think I have right was a totally different 15 that was too play the tests, what would you have preferred The 15 who played the test play two games 4 days apart.
Corbiseros, contribution was the difference to the third test I agree mostly because of the ref, in the first test it wouldn't have mattered who was in the front row as the ref didn't seem to know what he was doing, so to say Corbisero was the POTT is absolute bolux. I don't want every player in the lions to be Welsh but lets pick the best team and leave politics out of it Because if there was 15 Irish in the lions I would still support them.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Sorry plastic but this is bollocks. The feeling at the game amongst the supporters doesn't tally at all with your posts throughout the tour. There were innumerable irish tricolours at the game. The atmosphere at the game was amazing. Even the jocks without a player I the 15 were behind the lions. The aussiesupporters were great too. The whole tour has been a great event. I think you and anyone else who shares your views needs to take a long think about why they are griping about a game and a series that showed once again why rugby is such a great game
I am talking about the feeling in the UK and Ireland. Of course it's going to be good craic at the games. I haven't spoken to many English people in England who are exactly overwhelmed by a predominately Welsh team beating Aus. Sure everyone in Aus had a great time and the ARU have made a mint but there is really not quite the euphoria, outside of Wales, that you imagine by any stretch. Before the Lions tour, a poll I started on MF showed 30% against the Lions, amazingly a poll, since the win on Saturday, shows 37 % against the Lions and 10% don't know/ care. A majority in favour of your Lions but hardly a ringing endorsement.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
The Australian Indigenous Education Foundation and its partner school, St Gregory's at Campbelltown (NSW) are the new owners of the Lions' training gear from the tour, including a scrum machine!

933900_594756887211936_398680617_n.jpg

Photo from AIEF's Facebook page - Arthur from St Greg's and Brian O'Driscoll at the presentation of the equipment on 8 July 2013.

The Lions wouldn't have skimped on their gear so it would be fantastic to have all this new kit to train with.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
^ Considering the ARU's finances, maybe the Wallabies could have asked for the gear? Anyway, the Wallabies can always head out to Campbelltown to train and take advantage of the equipment.

As Izzy is from out that way, he can show them around or how to get there.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not too hard to find.

1. Head south on Driver Ave towards John Hargreaves Ave 500 m
2. Turn right onto Lang Rd 130 m
3. Turn left onto Anzac Parade 750 m
4. Turn right onto Dacey Ave 700 m
5. Turn left onto South Dowling St 400 m
6. Take the ramp onto Metroad 1 7.7 km
7. Continue onto Metroad 5 (signs for M5 Freeway/Liverpool/Canberra/Airport) Partial toll road 39.2 km
8. Take exit Campbelltown Road for State Route 56 towards Campbelltown 350 m
9. Continue straight 400 m
10. Slight left onto Campbelltown Rd/State Route 56 1.0 km
11. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Raby Rd Go through 2 roundabouts 1.2 km
12. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Eagle Vale Drive Go through 2 roundabouts 2.7 km
13. At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Badgally Rd Destination will be on the right
transparent.png

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm 37, an ex-prop, and can do a passable Welsh accent, or English if you want me to take the Charvis route.

And I'm damn sure I can clear the ball quicker than him.

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect .

Lol, I'm sure I would too to be honest and I'm a few years older and a former No8. :D

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Read my post, I agree it is crazy to support the Lions franchise and chuck your toys when it does something you don't like but you cannot pretend that the decision has not affected lions support in Ireland whether you like it or not. If the Irish rugby public were to come out and make it clear that they don't want Irish players going on Lions tours they wouldn't go on Lions tours because the game in Ireland is centralised and essentially owned by the supporters. We are no where near that stage yet but to just say the supporters need to grow up is to fail to understand how Irish rugby works.

Doesn't it matter what the players want then, because it's obvious that it still means as much to the Irish as any of the other nations in that respect.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Hairy Test Eagle

Ward Prentice (10)
An very detailed article on the Lions forward pack in the 3 test matches, and also an interesting read on how to rate forwards performances:

http://dementedmole.com/2013/10/30/ruck-marks/#more-3681

Thanks for sharing that mate! Despite how long it would take to sit down and study a game it would have to be the best way I have seen to rate a players rucking performance. For a back BOD gets through a fair load of work.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
For a back BOD gets through a fair load of work.

There's an interesting video on youtube of a private talk Gatland gave on his reasoning behind dropping BOD for the final test. He talks about how the Wallabies were targeting him.

Basically the Wobs were targeting him and getting plenty of of dividends out of it, not because he was missing tackles or making poor ruck decisions but because after he committed to contact he took a while to get back into the line. This is why his stats look good but also while they're a lie.

I'm not saying this is my viewpoint or that this situation couldn't have been managed differently, but it sure was interesting.

Remind me to find the clip.

Status
Not open for further replies.