• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As much as there may be some rather good players in the NH that will come down here next season as the Lions, it is not as if this is the Lions will be the Dream Team of ultimate rugby players.

It will probably be tough, and there may be more red in some stadiums than gold but the Men in Gold will prevail.

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
I hope you're right. I think if we get our best players on the park then we've got a pretty good chance. If our forwards can gain parity I'm confident we'll do it.
I'm more worried about who the coach will be. Although Deans' record against Gatland isn't too shabby, this won't be Wales that Gatland will be coaching.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not sure how the blokes who come over from up north can afford it.

A Friend of mine a getting married on June 1st the week before the Lions game against the Force.

The reception is at the Novatel, I just rang up to make a booking and they told me it will be $609 a night YOU ARE FUCKING KIDDING ME! I can get a room across the road for $200 but who knows what it will be like closer to the date next year. I HATE THE PERTH TOURISM INDUSTRY

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Just read Rugby Heaven write up on how the Lions plan to play direct & really smash threw the Wallabies rather than go around us which is a fair assumption considering they'll probably be bigger all over the park. Most of the talk was about Jamie Roberts & Tuilagi running amok in the midfield which really wouldn't be a lot different to what BOD did in 2001.

As much as these two players have carved up opposition defences the Wallabies really haven't been troubled by either player. Ok we've only seen Tuilagi once but we've played Roberts 5 or more times and he's never had the impact against the Wallabies as he did other nations. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) has always been a very good defender & should be partnered by Barnes or Tapuai who are both very good low tacklers so I'm confident we can contain these two for the majority of 3 test matches.

I really hope the Lions bring this type of one dimensional approach to next year's series. While they're at it i hope they pick a pack that is all about scrummaging power and nothing else. If they do it'll be their down fall mark my words as they just wont be mobile enough to keep up with us in the loose. And the last time a test team chose their backline on sheer size allow (against the Wallabies) was France in 2010 and we all know how that ended.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Just had a look at the ticket prices for the test at Etihad, what a f**king joke.

Seriously? More than half the stadium is platinum.

You're a taking the piss of the highest order, ARU.

AMR.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Supply and Demand unfortunately. I'll be buying a ticket, despite the insulting price. I cant blame the ARU for milking the shit out of this cash cow

T

TOCC

Just remember, if you miss this one the next Lions Tour won't be until 2025...

Actually Australian rugby will be dead by then so this is probably going to be the last one..

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
One thing I have been thinking of since Sharpe has retired, who is going to call the lineouts?

None of the starting players this year (apart from Sharpe) call for their Super sides except Simmons who has fallen a bit in the polls so to speak.

Here again I think Deans has really stuffed up in terms of succession planning. He will most probably field a combination of Horwill and Timani/Douglas. Fair enough in the 2nd row if somebody can actually teach Timani to jump and catch at the same time. The main question still goes unanswered who calls the lineout. Not just on Wallabies ball but to actually compete against the Lions, which if you remember Plank had to do to win the series last time.

Here is where IMO Deans has erred (again). One of the backrowers used on the EOYT should have been a lineout caller and a dominant jumper to offset Timani. Higgers is a good jumper but doesn't call to my knowledge. Palu doesn't jump. Hooper and Pocock don't jump. Samo does jump and very well but doesn't call (and questions remain about if a 50 year old can still bend over to lace the boots up let alone play).

So who do I suggest? Somebody who has been a bridesmaid for three years, Mowen. At the Tahs and at the Brumbies he has been a dominant jumper at 6 or 8 and called both offensive and defensive lineouts. He should have been taken on tour and run. Without Sharpe to direct the lineout it is potentially a huge weakness for the Wallabies and one that on the potential Wallaby players already blooded and remaining in contention is really answered IMO. As things stand, with Blades even admitting the Wallabies are not interested in competing for the opposition ball opposition teams can just guarantee their own ball and prepare some very good first phase possession. Without any real lineout tacticians they will be looking gleefully at this set piece.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Might have to start looking into selling body parts soon to be able to afford these ticket prices at suncorp, but very excited to have got the tickets just the same :)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Here is where IMO Deans has erred (again). One of the backrowers used on the EOYT should have been a lineout caller and a dominant jumper to offset Timani. Higgers is a good jumper but doesn't call to my knowledge. Palu doesn't jump. Hooper and Pocock don't jump. Samo does jump and very well but doesn't call (and questions remain about if a 50 year old can still bend over to lace the boots up let alone play).

Ugh what??? Dave Dennis you heard of him? Excellent lineout option, probably better than most genuine locks going around

So who do I suggest? Somebody who has been a bridesmaid for three years, Mowen. At the Tahs and at the Brumbies he has been a dominant jumper at 6 or 8 and called both offensive and defensive lineouts.

Or Dennis..

T

T.Rugby

are the tour games against the super rugby teams going to be televised on channel 10?

T

TOCC

are the tour games against the super rugby teams going to be televised on channel 10?

I wonder what the ruling is on that, do Foxsports own the rights to the Super Rugby teams playing them, or are they up in the air and likely to go to Foxsports just to keep them happy...
It would be good to see Ch10 grab those games..

Mals

Bob McCowan (2)
Bought 4 tickets to the Sydney test this morning. Silver category $175 each & sitting behind the try line LOL. No bang for your buck!

D

daz

Melbourne Test at Etihad locked in. $295 per ticket, which was expected, but I did still feel like I had been mugged in a Melbourne back-alley.

Ah well. Happy to get the tickets. Just one small thing; anyone able to let my kids know that Christmas has been cancelled this year? As has any kind of food shopping for 6 months. And petrol for the car.

I'd tell them myself, but I had to sell my phone to help pay for the tickets. And I had to cancel my internet connection as well. Not sure when that is going to be switched off, but I

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
On the plus side, they are 90% likely to still sell these tests out, and they should make a fair slab of cash (which can then be put towards the sustained broadcasting of the Shute Shield please? Wishful thinking, I know).

Personally I'll be handing over my $25 or whatever to stand on the hill at Newcastle and watch the Lions play NSW Country.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
On the plus side, they are 90% likely to still sell these tests out, and they should make a fair slab of cash (which can then be put towards the sustained broadcasting of the Shute Shield please? Wishful thinking, I know).

Personally I'll be handing over my $25 or whatever to stand on the hill at Newcastle and watch the Lions play NSW Country.

How about we look outside nsw and use the money across australia. Maybe something like the ARC.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
$235 for a seat in the gods behind the try line at Etihad stadium.
That's the way to grow the game in Melbourne.

The way to grow the game in Melbourne is to make as much money as humanly possible from a once in twelve years Lions tour. Do you really think that selling cheap seats to an immensely valuable event will somehow "grow the game"?

All that would happen is that people who were going to attend the game anyway, simply pay less than they should. Does that really make sense to you?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I wonder what the ruling is on that, do Foxsports own the rights to the Super Rugby teams playing them, or are they up in the air and likely to go to Foxsports just to keep them happy.
It would be good to see Ch10 grab those games..

If it's the same as up here then Fox sports probably have rights to both. Sky Sports (Fox's sister channel) show all the Lions games starting from any warm up games and including all games on the actual tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.