• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Vs Reds. Bloem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

Interesting that you note the play of the Bulls minus Bakkies, remember this young reds side are playing without their skipper Jimmy Horwill.

Also, PB do you living in SA? because if you don't your knowledge of the SA teams is very impressive and I find it very helpful - even if I don't always agree. ha ha.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Boet I am living in Paarl, two blocks from one of SAs biggest rugby factory in history Paarl Gym. Thats why I know many of the players so well because I am previledge to watch most of them from U14 level.

Feel free to disagree with me, this place will be a dull one if we all agree, must say I also learn a lot about your game from some posters on here , specially Oom Lee Grant. I appreciate his knowledge , detail and passion for your game and have probably more respect for him then anybody I know on any rugby forum.

C

chief

Reds win 41 to 26. Great performance from the backs, but once again a disappointing forwards display. The Lions got close after a while, when within the first 20 minutes I was thinking it was going to be a blow out, but the Reds forwards kept them in the game. I sometimes feel that Braid and S.Finger are the only people doing work in the Tackle Ruck and Maul. There forwards display is what is clearly holding the Reds back. Will be a tough ask next week, especially that they come back with not much rest at all. Could be pretty concerning.

Cooper looked dangerous whenever he had the ball, Hynes found some fantastic gaps, Genia called the shots brilliantly, and did a few good kicks to get the Reds out of trouble. S.Finger was fantastic, besides for his yellow card indiscretion, which was pretty stupid. It is though great to see the Reds back line 'gelling' together like they did today. I think it would be hard for anyone to dispute, that the Reds have the most illusive and dangerous backline in the S14. Here's to next week back at Suncorp, hoping to see a decent crowd, so QLD can at least break even.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
PaarlBok said:
The Chiefs game was the real tester for them after losing against the Blues and they made it a historical first win against the Chiefs in NZ and with Morne Steyn out of song.

They also got a massive leg-up from Kaplan to get their bonus point.

G

Geeves

wobbly said:
Watching reply - wow Britzkrieg start!

Start was good then they got lazy, dropped structure and patience. They finished with a bit of style but they really needed a 9-10 goat game to make the for and against as positive as possible.

They went for long stretches without the ball does anyone know what the possession stat was in the end?

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought A Fainga was once again awesome, I did kind of like the idea of a ball playing inside centre like Barnes or Gits in the Wallaby team but surely anyone who watches Reds Rugby has to agree that he is deserving of a Wallaby spot, great in offence and defence.

I spent a bit of time trying to watch players off the ball and particularly followed Weekes, he seemed like a lazy bastard to me (I really only concentrated on him about 10 minutes before he was benched) I dont know if he was on for too long but he just seemed to hang back and provide little effort to retain or steal posession.

Genia was once again great, and Cooper was awesome again, I was really pissed at his swatting the ball away on the sideline though when he was stopping a quick lineout. It was a typical immature brain snap that he needs to lose from his game, whats next? a trip!!!

Thank god for fast wingers! What a sight it is to see Davies at 100mph, speed is always useful and he did enough to keep his spot. I thought Chambers is holding his own as well.

Hynes impressed, you can only play the players in front of you and he destroyed them, I still am not impressed with him against quality and I hope he proves me wrong in every game until the end of the season.

Digby was quiet, but then he was not really needed anyway.

I thought Higgers was great, good hard running with the ball and I think he should at least be considered for a Wallaby squad spot this year.

All in all it capped a great trip to the republic, I for one would be stoked if every trip there we came home with 12 points (would this be a record for an Aussie team). Well done boys and lets hope we can be dominant at home

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well done Reds.
No, it would not be a record - the Tahs won 3 in the republic last year, so got at least 12 points (unsure about BPs then). But it might be an equal record! ;)
As I said, well done Reds.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It wasn't pretty in places but they got the job done and got the bonus goat. The shabbyness in places does not concern me as I think this one was about collecting the win, the bonus point and trying to conserve energy for the horror turn around to come home and face the Bulls.

Bonus point after 17 minutes, out of the way. Foot goes off of the pedal from here. Mid second half, game looks shakey and Lions have a sniff, foot goes back on the pedal to seal the game.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
The next two weeks are the real test for the Reds and will determine if they are pretenders or contenders.

If they can pull at least one win and a bonus point then it will be quite an achievement.

C

chief

I also have to say, Morahan's defense is probably not good enough for Super 14, there were two tackles, one which lead to a try. Have to agree about Cooper's stupid slap down, but he played so good, so I will excuse him.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeh can't wait for next week, I know I will definitely be going to Suncorp, expect a good crowd.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Guys it is 11 points from the trip not 12. It's still great to support a team that wins a few! And 3 week into the trip at altitude I think they did alright.

T

TOCC

I know it was only the lions, but it was a critically important match nonetheless, great to get a win, I'm excited about next weeks game

T

TOCC

does anyone know where i can get the highlights of this match, the foxsports website is only showing like 30sec worth of footage..

Status
Not open for further replies.