• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Vs Reds. Bloem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ruggo said:
It is going to have to be on song this week. Spies wil target him all night.

They will have to look out for his stepping, he has made it around some big props lately

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Biffo said:
Ruggo said:
It is going to have to be on song this week. Spies wil target him all night.

Time for Leroy and Higginbum to show what they've got.

Agreed. Link should have those guys man marking Spies throughout the night.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
liquor box said:
Quades defence is starting to be quite good of late, still not world class, but good enough

His pressure is good but his actual tackling is bad. He charges at them quite quickly but fully upright and appears to barely prepare to actually make a tackle.

At least he is somewhat proactive in his approach to force them to make passes.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
Lions
Michael Killian, Wigan Pekeur, Walter Venter, Doppies la Grange,
Wandile Mjekevu, Carlos Spencer, Jano Vermaak, Derick Minnie, Wikus van
Heerden
, Cobus Grobbelaar (c), Franco van der Merwe, Nico Luus, Gert
Muller
, Hannes Franklin, Heinke van der Merwe.

Reserves: Hans van Dyk, JC Janse van Rensburg, Willem Stoltz, Todd Clever,
Jacque Coetzee, Herkie Kruger, Marius Delport.

The best Lions team this year, going be a big game for them.

that's a shame then because they were pretty damn woeful. Forget any assemblance of a comeback in the middle of the match, that first 20 was pathetic. Perhaps the sponsors of SA rugby are pulling out because of their declining brand being aligned with teams like the Lions and Cheetahs?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Oh well they had a bye last week and the Stormers took a match to gather steam. If yopur Reds were a SA franchise they would have lost ther sponsor already 5 seasons ago!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
liquor box said:
Quades defence is starting to be quite good of late, still not world class, but good enough

He was being hidden in defence with Hynes moving up and Cooper dropping back

Hynes kick returns were great and Davies' pace and enthusiasm makes him an excellent support runner because he works so hard to get into position.

For all the accolades Cooper is getting, Genia is the rock the Reds are built around, so calm, so precise, so effective

Exponential step up this week for the Reds pigs, they didn't do much in this game, after a long long flight that most sides have struggled from, the Bulls pigs will require a lot more then they showed.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:
If yopur Reds were a SA franchise they would have lost ther sponsor already 5 seasons ago!

Oh mate, we've lost plenty of sponsorships, and I reckon we are on the verge of losing another main one. Never blamed the competition for it though.

T

TOCC

Noddy said:
PaarlBok said:
If yopur Reds were a SA franchise they would have lost ther sponsor already 5 seasons ago!

Oh mate, we've lost plenty of sponsorships, and I reckon we are on the verge of losing another main one. Never blamed the competition for it though.

QR wont sign on again, they cant commit to anything since the government is about to sell it off

However i suppose the reds 2010 form and added exposure will stir some new sponsors into action

Scotty

David Codey (61)
His pressure is good but his actual tackling is bad. He charges at them quite quickly but fully upright and appears to barely prepare to actually make a tackle.

At least he is somewhat proactive in his approach to force them to make passes.

His side on tackling is pretty good. His front on is normally terrible - too scared to get his head down and shoulder into it.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
I didn't see the game so can't comment on his performance but have seen Spiro's article on rugbyheaven with some serious QC (Quade Cooper) manlove:

"In South Africa we saw another redemption story (hopefully) playing itself out with the incredible display by Queensland's No.10, Quade Cooper, who virtually destroyed the Lions by himself. I've seen (live or on pay TV) virtually every Super rugby game since the tournament started in 1996. No one - not even great playmakers such as Carlos Spencer, Andrew Mehrtens, the incomparable Stephen Larkham or Dan Carter - has played a better No.10 match than Cooper did at Johannesburg at the weekend."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...back-kids-for-life-lessons-20100412-s481.html

Was he really that good?

S

Spook

It's a ridiculous statement to make given the level of opposition. If he does it at test level against SA or NZ, maybe. In fairness to Spiro he is probably comparing it to other fly half performances at Super rugby level. It was exceptional by Cooper and he showed he really is the complete player.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah he was pretty damn good but it was against the lowest team in the Super14, so take it with a grain of salt.

He also did a couple of significant tackles - not front on IIRR but bloody important.

The article as you report it is a bit over the top but come to think of it I've seen just about every Super game ever but for a few when my recording stuffed up and I missed replays. Ignoring the quality of the opposition I can't remember a better performance by a flyhalf though Spencer had some imperious games for the Blues in 2003.

T

TOCC

Spook said:
It's a ridiculous statement to make given the level of opposition. If he does it at test level against SA or NZ, maybe. In fairness to Spiro he is probably comparing it to other fly half performances at Super rugby level. It was exceptional by Cooper and he showed he really is the complete player.

Spiro was talking about Super rugby, he says that in the article, but like you and LG say, considering the opposition it has to be taken with a grain of salt, as LG mentioned its probably the most influential S14 5/8 i have seen since the Carlos era back in 2003, taking nothing away from the performances of Carter, Larkham and others through the years, but there performances have been a reflection of the team, where on the weekend Cooper was practically a one man rock show.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Most points in a Super season

155 John Eales (1996)
148 Nathan Spooner (1999)
148 Elton Flatley (2002)
125 Elton Flatley (2003)
120 John Eales (1997)
120 Quade Cooper (2010 - through 8 games)
112 Elton Flatley (2001)
109 John Eales (1998)
104 Clinton Schifcofske (2007)

36 more points to break the record. You'd back him in surely? Understanding it is S14 v S12 though, although the 1996 season included a final as well.

What I don't like is this list:

Most points in a Super career

609 Elton Flatley (1996-2004)
402 John Eales (1996-2001)
263* Andrew Walker (2000-2008)
211 Chris Latham (1998-2008)
203 Nathan Spooner (1999-2001)
157 Quade Cooper (1997-current)
151 Shane Drahm (1997-2001)

*246 pts for ACT

So he scored 17 points for QLD? Why have him on our list?

Status
Not open for further replies.