• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Given its a short tour he can't get that long to get some form, taking him is a big gamble. The Lions are short of options at 6 given Croft suffers from the Chabal effect and SOB is struggling with an injury.

Tom 'one tackle in a play off semi but scored a pretty try so that is alright' Croft. SOB is not fit to the extent that, if it was down to Schmidt, I suspect he would be at home doing nothing more strenuous than driving the silage forager. Who is next in line at six? Robshaw seems to be on holiday, Kelly Brown or (God forbid) Peter O'Mahony. Calf strain for Jenkins could be bad news for Australia because Grant has been the form loose head apart from Healy. Should imagine Castro is looking forward to tucking into Vunipola in Hong Kong, ludicrous selection from Rowntree.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The Sebastian Chabal Effect: Giving a Youtube moment of 30 seconds of brilliance that casual fans will love, forgetting that there are 79 mins and 30 seconds of anonymity ignoring their primary role, Tom Croft is a prime subscriber to this one. The Lions would probably be best giving SOB one tour game and letting him give everything for the 3 test matches in the 6 position, Gatty won't go for that and I doubt you'd be a fan of that the plastic paddy

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
The Sebastian Chabal Effect: Giving a Youtube moment of 30 seconds of brilliance that casual fans will love, forgetting that there are 79 mins and 30 seconds of anonymity ignoring their primary role, Tom Croft is a prime subscriber to this one. The Lions would probably be best giving SOB one tour game and letting him give everything for the 3 test matches in the 6 position, Gatty won't go for that and I doubt you'd be a fan of that the plastic paddy

After he was, unforgivably, played injured against NZ last summer, which I think has affected his performances all of this season, you are right I wouldn't. There was no defence for Kidney then, especially in the pointless third test, and I don't think there will be for Gatland although all the Lions lovers will probably brush it under the carpet and claim any subsequent injury has nothing to do with the sky sports tour.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
After he was, unforgivably, played injured against NZ last summer, which I think has affected his performances all of this season, you are right I wouldn't. There was no defence for Kidney then, especially in the pointless third test, and I don't think there will be for Gatland although all the Lions lovers will probably brush it under the carpet and claim any subsequent injury has nothing to do with the sky sports tour.

I know some people dont like us talking Ireland on this thread but I'd agree with you, if SOB hadn't of been taken to NZ last year which he shouldn't I'd say St Sam wouldn't be captain in fact he'd be lucky to be in the squad. Some of the displays SOB gave at 7 this time last year were superb, and given he's carrying injuries this year he's been playing to a very high standard. Anyway to get back to the point your man POM should be next in line, but Tom Wood is probably the most likely one.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
I know some people dont like us talking Ireland on this thread but I'd agree with you, if SOB hadn't of been taken to NZ last year which he shouldn't I'd say St Sam wouldn't be captain in fact he'd be lucky to be in the squad. Some of the displays SOB gave at 7 this time last year were superb, and given he's carrying injuries this year he's been playing to a very high standard. Anyway to get back to the point your man POM should be next in line, but Tom Wood is probably the most likely one.

I wouldn't have SOB anywhere near the 7 shirt to be honest even on last year's form. I'd definitely have him at 6 over Lydiate even if he's fit & firing. He's always looked like a 6 playing out of position on the openside to me.
Just personal opinion though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
He had some great games for Leinster there last year, Clermont away sticks out as a stand out for me, and don't forget he outplayed the Great Invisible Richie McCaw in Irish colours a couple of times too. I'd agree he is a better 6 but he is a hell of a 7 when he is fit and firing

GunsGermsRugbyandSteel

Stan Wickham (3)
Who will be the Lions top performer this time round. In NZ Ryan Jones got a lot of the plaudits and Roberts or Drico seemed to be the main men In SA. Who will stand out this time?

I have a feeling Philips is going to rip it up.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Look no further than Jonny Sexton for me I think he'll be a shining light amongst a lot of over rated journey men, also think Alun Wyn-Jones is going to have a big series he is probably Wales' best forward and I can't wait to see him and POC in tandem

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)

What has happened to Robshaw though, has he played himself to a standstill?

GunsGermsRugbyandSteel

Stan Wickham (3)
I don't know why people rate Phillips, he did nothing last year for Wales.

In some ways I agree, he isnt a classic scrum half. However, a lot of people are writing him off in the NH which may give him the motivation to step it up a gear or two. He was pretty good v SA in the last series too. Also annoyingly he tends to play well v Ireland.

GunsGermsRugbyandSteel

Stan Wickham (3)
Look no further than Jonny Sexton for me I think he'll be a shining light amongst a lot of over rated journey men, also think Alun Wyn-Jones is going to have a big series he is probably Wales' best forward and I can't wait to see him and POC in tandem

Im looking forward to seeing POC and Grey tomorrow. Think they are a test pairing in the making. I think they would complement eachother nicely.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Who will be the Lions top performer this time round. In NZ Ryan Jones got a lot of the plaudits and Roberts or Drico seemed to be the main men In SA. Who will stand out this time?

I have a feeling Philips is going to rip it up.

Think this tour could be made for Cian Healy to establish himself at the best loosehead around.
I'd like Hogg to get the opportunity to showcase his talent too, on the hard tracks in Aus he could really flourish. A wonderfully balanced runner with electrifying speed. Hope he puts those afterburners to good use.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
He had some great games for Leinster there last year, Clermont away sticks out as a stand out for me, and don't forget he outplayed the Great Invisible Richie McCaw in Irish colours a couple of times too. I'd agree he is a better 6 but he is a hell of a 7 when he is fit and firing

Don't disagree, he's a fine operator at 7 but at 6 he can be himself - a destructive, wrecking machine both offensively & defensively ! He'd be my 6 for the tests, no doubt.

FingalRaven

Frank Nicholson (4)
I seem to remember SOB giving away some silly penalties in this year's 6 Nations when Ireland was building up pressure on the opposition. He needs to improve that part of his game for both Ireland and the Lions.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
St Sam has injured his ACL and got an injection which will probably rule him out of the Force game and maybe even the Reds game. His selection as captain is looking more and more like a hindrance to the Lions. I'd be surprised if he finishes the tour at this stage

Status
Not open for further replies.