• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

LOTE Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Public denied access to Tuqiri court documents

August 7, 2009 - 12:39PM

The judge preceding over Lote Tuqiri's court action against his contract termination by the Australian Rugby Union has expressed surprise that both sides have argued to keep court documents about the case secret.

Lawyers for both the former Wallaby winger and the ARU argued for documents related to the matter to be kept under wraps, meaning that the public would be denied access to the reasons as to why Tuqiri was sacked.

In the NSW Supreme Court today, Tuqiri's court action was briefly mentioned before Justice Clifford Einstein.

He will hear arguments on the matter from both sides as well as the media later on Friday.

The ARU's lawyer said it would be "undesirable for any publicity until objective arguments were made by both sides".

Justice Einstein said he was surprised by the request, noting it was unusual for public access to be denied in such a case.

"This court's usual practice would be to make the court documents relating to this matter available," he said.

Tuqiri had his $1 million a year contract torn up by the ARU on July 1 with no exact details about his termination publicly revealed.

In announcing the sacking last month, the ARU said Tuqiri had allegedly breached the player code of conduct but said it was not a police matter.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
One might infer from the above that the sacking offence was perhaps marginal but the straw that broke the camel's back due to Tuqiri's prior indescrestions, however it is significantly embarassing for Tuqiri such that it would harm his image (which would be logical if he had been caught with a female despite being married(?) with a kid).

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The numebr of people who know will triple and It'll come out now for sure.

I can't believe they managed to keep a lid on it to date, Grumbles must be fuming!

Motivations for the ARU to want it concealed?
- Minor indescretion and don't want to appear absolute bastards
- involvement of other players
- sucking up to RUPA
- ???

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lote wants it too, so I assume it is some he wants to keep private as well. That fits with the rumours

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
It is strange, that was the key bluff point for both sides.

ARU trying to keep moral high ground and focus on the boys?

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
i feel like ARU must be protecting someone or multiples to not want to release info. public outcry over whatever lote might have done only helps their case. unless it really was a hatchet job with no reasonable basis (chock full of mal afidies), but why essentially admit that to lote's crew and the judge by saying they want it hidden?

but if the ARU is protecting someone and lote/RUPA is protecting himself as well as that someone else.... then lote has no case so why take it to court to get dragged out in the mud anyways? he'll take himself down and throw everyone else involved under the bus when it gets leaked. and it will.

seems like both sides think they have a case but don't want anyone to know what it is.... strange.... :nta:

i predict either the ARU is about to get fucked over or lote and perhaps several others are going to be tabloid fodder.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Lote has a new contract, neither of them want this in the papers - time to come to the table and talk lads.

Lote will be particularly unpopular if his taking this to court exposes other players as having been doing something they would rather wasnt public knowledge. I wonder what price Lote places on that?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
From ABC

Tuqiri documents may be revealed

A Sydney court has ruled documents which reveal details of why former Wallabies winger Lote Tuqiri was sacked by the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) should be released to the public.

Both sides have sought to keep the documents confidential.

After an application by media organisations, a judge has ruled they should be made public - except for one paragraph of the statement which has been described as "sensitive".

However, the mystery around Tuqiri's contract termination will remain for now, with parties for the sacked dual international and the ARU successfully applying for a stay on proceedings to prevent the release of the documents until next week at the earliest.

The lawyers had argued for the court papers relating to Tuqiri's recent contract termination to be kept under wraps, saying publicity could prejudice the case.

"There's no doubt that a time will arise [when the documents do become available] but why should it be that with the mere lodging of a claim [they] should be released without any control at all over the speculation that may follow," the ARU's lawyer John Sackar QC (Quade Cooper) told the court.

"That's not consistent with open justice, to let people speculate... when it might place prejudice out there which is entirely unnecessary."

Tuqiri's barrister, Tony Meagher SC, said the documents only gave one side of the story and to release them would be to encourage discussion outside of the courtroom.

"Your honour shouldn't embark on a procedure that makes allegations public which may force parties to respond in kind," he said.

"The court's process is open but it's not for the purpose of people who read the back page of The Daily Telegraph."

Justice Clifford Einstein said the public had a right to know what had happened in court regardless of who was involved and said open justice "should be not whittled away on a case-by-case basis".

"Even without the court asking counsel to read out aloud what the pleadings are, the matter is in the same mode and to be treated in the same fashion as if the court had either itself or through counsel required the pleadings to be read aloud," he said.

Lawyers for the ARU indicated they would be appealing the decision and asked for a stay until the matter could be heard in the Court of Appeal.

The matter will be mentioned in that court on Monday afternoon.

The former Wallabies and NSW Waratahs winger had his $1 million a year contract torn up by the ARU on July 1 with no exact details about his termination publicly revealed.

In announcing the sacking last month, the ARU said Tuqiri had allegedly breached the player code of conduct but said he had not broken the law.

ARU trying to keep story from blotting out the weekend.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I think its more than that. I dont think its in the interests of anyone for this stuff to make it into the public domain. I'm betting on a settlement.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Lote writes in the Fiji Times
http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=127113

Lote Tuqiri said:
THE Australian Rugby Union might have ripped up my contract and I am interested in a cameo season in the NRL -- but that doesn't mean my rugby career is over.

I know it all sounds a bit complicated, but that's just the way it is with my court case against the ARU beginning in the NSW Supreme Court last Friday.

Over the past month, I've had a host of options bouncing around.

Being a professional footballer, the desire to challenge myself at the elite level burns strongly -- and that's why I'm looking at my options in league and rugby.

Having spoken with my wife Rebekah, our first priority is to remain in Australia. That's why I'm interested in the NRL.

I realise I'd have to take a pay cut. That's something I'd be prepared to do. For me, a return to the game I grew up in would be all about seeing if I've got what it takes to cut it at the top.

I look at Wendell Sailor and what a revelation he's been and what a wonderful story it's been for the game. Too often league can get kicked when it's down.

So one of the possibilities is that I find an NRL club for next season and have one season back in rugby league.

I've been told there could be some interest, but I haven't had any firm offers yet.

If I did go back to league for a season, then what's to stop me from returning to rugby union the following year.

There's going to be a fifth Super rugby franchise in Austra-lia in 2011 and becoming the face of Australia's newest club interests me.

It could be in Melbourne or the Gold Coast or the Sunshine Coast, the ARU are looking at six submissions and will make a decision at the end of October.

Obviously the ARU would have to agree to it, but the prospect of helping grow the game in a new environment appeals.

The other rugby union consideration is the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand. I had my heart set on playing for the Wallabies, but it's pretty clear that won't be happening.

But representing Fiji, my country of birth, has a major appeal. Everyone always loves watching the way the Fijian boys throw the ball around and they often give as good as they get.

It's been reported that I've done a deal to go to French rugby club Bayonne, where Craig Gower plays, but that's news to me.

They've contacted me in the past. I remember late last year I got a text message from a random number asking if I'd be interested in a move there.

Of course I'm willing to listen, but, as I said, my priority is to keep Rebekah and the kids in Australia. We're happy here. This is our life and our home.

Just for a bit of a laugh, I almost had a game of AFL the other day with one of my mates who plays for the UTS Bats, but common sense prevailed.

But I am definitely going to have a run for West Harbour against Warringah at Pittwater Park next Saturday, provided they need me.

I've been keeping as active as possible, training by myself down at Birchgrove Oval. I take a football down sometimes and just work through my own drills.

The support from my family and friends over what has been a testing month has been fantastic. I still keep in regular contact with plenty of the Wallabies boys and I wish them all the best in the Tri-Nations.

I've also contacted Wayne Bennett, my old coach from the Broncos. Wayne always gives good advice.

Training by myself has been a bit lonely, but that's just the way it is at the moment.

With a bit of luck, hopefully I can have everything all sorted out in the next month.

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
How can he consider playing for the 15th team if his ARU contract is gone? Don't you need an ARU contract to play Super 14/15? If not, why aren't the Brumbies, Force or Reds trying to get him on board.

M

Mainlander

Moses said:
Lote writes in the Fiji Times
http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=127113

Lote Tuqiri said:
The other rugby union consideration is the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand. I had my heart set on playing for the Wallabies, but it's pretty clear that won't be happening.

But representing Fiji, my country of birth, has a major appeal. Everyone always loves watching the way the Fijian boys throw the ball around and they often give as good as they get.

Someone has forgotten to tell him about the international eligibility rules for Union players.

The Highlanders are looking for a winger (and every other position) he should look at playing for them or a Bok team. That would be intresting how O'Niel and the Oz public handle that.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
An important thing to consider about Lote is that despite earning a shiteload of cash, he's pretty farking stupid. His manager should do a better job of managing his profile by persuading him to avoid put his opinions and thought processes in print.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lote Tuqiri to play first game since being sacked by ARU

By Jon Geddes
August 13, 2009

Lote Tuqiri he will play his first game since being sacked by the ARU when he plays for West Harbour against Warringah at Narrabeen in the Sydney premiership on Saturday.

The star winger contacted Pirates coach Stu Woodhouse on Wednesday to confirm he was available.

"It is fantastic, hopefully he will get more out of the game than we do," Woodhouse said.

"He has always treated everyone at the club really well and it has been very hard to watch him suffer."

Tuqiri told Woodhouse he was happy to play in any position and Woodhouse will start him on the wing. "He said his fitness was no problem."

Woodhouse was texting the other Wests players last night to tell them of their new strike weapon.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Better late than never, but this should be his 5th game for West Harbour since he was sacked, not his first.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Cutter said:
Better late than never, but this should be his 5th game for West Harbour since he was sacked, not his first.
If you'd been given the arse, were in a legal battle with your former employer, and were being hounded by the media would you front up to club rugby? I don't know, I'm kinda not surprised myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.