• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

LOTE Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
It's fubar. It's the ARU topup and sponsorship that's worth the cash and he ain't gonna be getting that regardless.

It isn't defamation, that would require a separate law suit.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
the defamation suit would have to follow his winning of an unfair dismissal suit wouldnt it, until he proves he was treated unfairly, what was said about him can be justified!

i think he will rock out for club rugby just to stick it up the ARU and present a face of wanting to play for simpathy, then regardless of winning or losing in court he will piss off overseas.

F

formeropenside

Gagger said:
It's fubar. It's the ARU topup and sponsorship that's worth the cash and he ain't gonna be getting that regardless.

It isn't defamation, that would require a separate law suit.

My point is, it is only defamation that really has grounds for any damage to be shown, given LT's duty to mitigate any loss of income. I do wonder though how his third party deals are affected - were they automatically cancelled?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
This is going on longer than the Michael Jackson hoopla. Enough already !

Bring on the Bledisloe.

R

rugbywhisperer

From where did defamation come - the ARU hasn't done anything to defame him - all he has if he wins will be damages - you can't sue for third party innuendo

F

formeropenside

Defo is his only ground of getting any real money, I think. It has not in fact raised its ugly head in proceedings as yet.

R

rugbywhisperer

Again I ask - who has defamed him and where/when did this occur.

F

formeropenside

rugbywhisperer said:
Again I ask - who has defamed him and where/when did this occur.

Apart from possible statements on various sports forums, no one so far as I am aware. I'm not saying it has occurred, I am saying that would appear to be the only chance LT has of getting serious funds out of the ARU.

It might not be strictly defamation; perhaps damage to reputation in a commercial sense (ie LT the spokesman for weetbix as v LT the individual). The business of LT is being LT.

I'm not sure how you'd bring the action: I'm not a litigator. But employment termination seems to be a loser unless the ARU settle for some reason.

R

Rugby Rat

Meh.. He did start running straight for a while.

Handy, yet still an auto pick for too long. Mitchell was the top try scorer in the World Cup and what was his reward. Dropped !

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
yeah, but for every mitchell try he lets one in,
lote saves trys but doesnt score enough.
that said, i think lote open up the other side of the field for wingers to score, the man is a magnet for defenders.

R

Rugby Rat

waratahjesus said:
yeah, but for every mitchell try he lets one in,
lote saves trys but doesnt score enough.
that said, i think lote open up the other side of the field for wingers to score, the man is a magnet for defenders.
He's been a great servant (Although well paid) to both the Tahs and Wallabies.

However 3 things you could count on in Wallaby test against quality opposition until last year.

1. The big inside step from Lote for the posts only to be tackled 5-10 short of the line. A subsequent wallaby error leading to a turnover. More of a failure for his support players to realise what he was going to do every time. Gitts or Morts should have been running a line to be there when it counted.

Lote did start running straight a little too late.

2. The sideways movement of the ball to Morts when he was marked 3-1. Gitts at fault here. Deans has corrected.

3. Big Al would be penalised at scrum time. To his credit big Al has really stepped up again. Can't wait to see him in the 2009 Tri Nations. Never knocked the big lad tho. I've always liked him.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
THE Waratahs will delay seeking a replacement for sacked star Lote Tuqiri, with the international winger's camp "incredibly confident" of winning an unfair dismissal case against the Australian Rugby Union.

Tuqiri's sacking last week for allegedly breaching team protocol is still shrouded in mystery, with the Wallabies' highest-paid star launching immediate legal action to have his $1.2 million-a-year contract reinstated.

A court date is yet to be set but a source close to the rugby league convert revealed Tuqiri's lawyers had compiled their case and were extremely confident of victory against John O'Neill and the ARU.

The source, who spoke to The Sun-Herald on the condition of anonymity, said Tuqiri's legal team was adamant he'd been unfairly dismissed.
To summarise, Lote told this anonymous source that his lawyers were confident. Now we have a whole news article quoting this hearsay from the nameless third party.

I can't believe the ARU are even going to court now, surely they would be better off to cut their losses and just settle!

cheezel

Bill Watson (15)
Sorry to bring this up again, but didn't think it would get this far.

RUPA appoints QC (Quade Cooper) to investigate Lote Tuqiri axing by the ARU

July 31, 2009
The Australian Rugby Union Players' Association (RUPA) has appointed a Queen's Counsel to lead an investigation into the termination of Lote Tuqiri's Wallabies contract.

John Spender QC (Quade Cooper), a former federal MP (Moana Pasifika) and government ambassador, will conduct the investigation on RUPA's behalf.

RUPA chief executive Tony Dempsey said the inquiry would look at whether the Australian Rugby Union and the NSW Rugby Union followed proper process when it sacked 67-Test veteran Tuqiri halfway through a five-year contract.

Tuqiri's disputed sacking is heading to the courts, with the first hearing expected to take place late next week......

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25862240-5016959,00.html

Novocastrian

Herbert Moran (7)
cheezel said:

July 31, 2009
The Australian Rugby Union Players' Association (RUPA) has appointed a Queen's Counsel to lead an investigation into the termination of Lote Tuqiri's Wallabies contract.

John Spender QC (Quade Cooper), a former federal MP (Moana Pasifika) and government ambassador, will conduct the investigation on RUPA's behalf.

RUPA chief executive Tony Dempsey said the inquiry would look at whether the Australian Rugby Union and the NSW Rugby Union followed proper process when it sacked 67-Test veteran Tuqiri halfway through a five-year contract.

Tuqiri's disputed sacking is heading to the courts, with the first hearing expected to take place late next week......

Don't think it means too much, it's just Dempsey trying to promote himself and his 'union'. Its got about as much relevance to the ARU/any proceedings brought by Lote as me appointing a QC (Quade Cooper) to investigate his sacking.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
cheezel said:

July 31, 2009

They have to make sure the process was followed as per their players agreement

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
from The Australian on Tuesday, 4 August

Lote Tuqiri poised to sign with Bayonne
FORMER Wallabies winger Lote Tuqiri is poised to join French Top 14 club Bayonne.

Tuqiri, who was sacked by the ARU last month for breaching team protocols, is expected to fly to Bayonne next week to sign a contract. The club approached Tuqiri last year, but he was under contract to the ARU and NSW Waratahs. Tuqiri told Bayonne he could be interested in the future, but at the time he had no idea how soon that moment would arrive. The cashed-up French club was still looking for a winger when the ARU dumped the dual international.

Bayonne, in southwest France, was always going to be a good fit for Tuqiri. There are several Australians there, including rugby league convert Craig Gower and former Wallabies Rodney Blake and Manny Edmonds. Tuqiri played for the Australian Kangaroos rugby league team with Gower, and the Wallabies with Blake. And the big-spending French club would be able to offer Tuqiri a contract comparable to his multi-million-dollar ARU deal.

A veteran of 67 Tests for the Wallabies since switching codes in 2003, Tuqiri was sacked by the ARU over an incident believed to have occurred in camp in Canberra in the lead-up to the Test against Italy on June 13. Tuqiri is now suing the ARU for breach of contract and his legal action will begin in the Supreme Court of NSW on Friday unless the matter is settled out of court.

Sounds like a sensible move. Wonder how his loss of earnings case will go.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
They have to make sure the process was followed as per their players agreement

I doubt they are required to appoint a QC (Quade Cooper) to do so. I wonder if the other players are happy that they have to pay $500+ an hour to a QC (Quade Cooper) for an investigation into this?

Status
Not open for further replies.