• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

LOTE Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
i didn't watch it.
after andrew whatever his name is did the bit about poo and got a lugh then the cio of the roosters came on and he got on his high horse about i had to switch off. dirtbag.
goes anyone notice how rugby league people always use the phrase this great game or our great game?
sad really

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
louie said:
goes anyone notice how rugby league people always use the phrase this great game or our great game?
sad really

It makes it hard to sit through an Origin. I mean FFS, I'm already watching, you don't have to fucking sell it to me every tackle!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i just sat through two hours of that!
oh my god!
its like watching your dad try to sell you a new tricycle on christmas morning when your 28 and weigh 120 kilo, not that thats ever happened to me!
they asked dell about it, they had a poll about if the NRL should tear up player contracts.
dell wouldnt talk about it, he changed the subject, they moved on, that was it.

highlight of the show was some lady who lost her husband and they gave her money. then she was on the keno challenge thing at the end to win more money and fatty had no idea who she was dispite having said a few kind words to her earlier. nice work channel nine!

good to see they had the hockeyroos on as well and filled the whole segment with sexual indoendo!

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
louie said:
i didn't watch it.
after andrew whatever his name is did the bit about poo and got a lugh then the cio of the roosters came on and he got on his high horse about i had to switch off. dirtbag.
sad really

i think when it comes down to it, the fact there is no international comp for rugby league (well a weak one) and the fact that AFL is a national game in australia, despite rating well and making money rugby league feels extremely inadiquit. if they just sold there product they would be fine, but they feel they need to tell people and beat there chest and it makes it near impossible to watch it with sound. if your lucky, you can listen to the commentary on triple m, if you want a good laugh, they really love there game and you would think there getting payed per word!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I have to say though, at least when asked, Dell fronted up and said contracts should be torn up for doing "stupid things" like illicit drugs. The audience chuckled, like Dell hadn't done anything wrong and that in fact it was the best thing ever because it got him back to league ::)

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
it was the first time i actually believed dell was humbled and had learned from his mistake tonight, he seemed genuine about it.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Little anecdote about Dell: gf got $700 (way overpriced) corporate tickets for us to SOO 2, including 3 course dinner before, snacks after and all the alcohol you can drink. Guest speakers before the game was some league commentator from Fox Sports (the youngish guy whose name I always forget), Dell and Matt Cooper. The same commentator and Dell also spoke after the game.

Dell actually poke fun at himself for getting banned from league. The Fox Sports guy said something like..."when you left Union", to which Dell replied, "nah mate, they kicked me out." He then joked about it - and the funny part was, the audience enjoyed it, but the Fox Sports guy was a little uncomfortable. Actually, Dell joked about it a few times and was pretty honest how it was his fuck up and his fault, and that he was stupid.

You have to give it to Dell on that: not many players busted like he was would be like that.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
with due respect to him being honest about it now, he did spend the first 18 months of his suspension jumping up and down about how hard done by he was!

H

Harfish

waratahjesus said:
with due respect to him being honest about it now, he did spend the first 18 months of his suspension jumping up and down about how hard done by he was!

Isn't that what all athletes do when they're caught? Bitch, piss and moan until eventually taking responsibility for their actions. Hell, Floyd Landis wrote a book about how hard done by he was despite irrefutable evidence he cheated.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
yeah, but i just love the way dell sells it so well that he took responsability and moved on. forget when he accused rugby of throwing him out and not caring. the fact he tried to get his suspension overturned so he could go to league earlier. here we are three years on and Dell stands there and sells it like he copped it on the chin admitted fault and moved on.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I remember that, there was talk of him going to America to play gridiron for a while...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
just after he got suspended, he wrote some gold article that had a quote, ive forgotten the actual wording but was basically, "the payed me all this money and then didnt offer any advice on what to do with it, of course i was going to get into trouble" i will try to find the exact wording, but that was the basic offering of it. sums it all up really!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
This has to be one of the strangest articles I have seen for ages. What demented fool at the Waratahs actually thinks he is coming back? or is this just more bad journalism.

I think the latter

Waratahs await a Lote lottery ticket

Josh Rakic | July 12, 2009

THE Waratahs will delay seeking a replacement for sacked star Lote Tuqiri, with the international winger's camp "incredibly confident" of winning an unfair dismissal case against the Australian Rugby Union.

Tuqiri's sacking last week for allegedly breaching team protocol is still shrouded in mystery, with the Wallabies' highest-paid star launching immediate legal action to have his $1.2 million-a-year contract reinstated.

A court date is yet to be set but a source close to the rugby league convert revealed Tuqiri's lawyers had compiled their case and were extremely confident of victory against John O'Neill and the ARU.

The source, who spoke to The Sun-Herald on the condition of anonymity, said Tuqiri's legal team was adamant he'd been unfairly dismissed.

"They believe that because the ARU dismissed him, if Lote wins the contract back but decides not to return to the Wallabies, they may have to pay his contract out up to 2012. And maybe damages.

"And if they win that, then Tuqiri could be back with NSW for next season.

"That's why NSW haven't rushed to sign anyone. They're holding out for as long as they can.

"There's every chance of Lote playing for the Waratahs next year but the franchise does have other options if he decides to return to league or go overseas.

"But as far as I know, they knew nothing about Lote being sacked in the first place."

Tuqiri already has the support of Waratahs and Wallabies teammates, including captain Stirling Mortlock, and the Rugby Union Players' Association.

Former West Harbour president Geoff Moxham, who was instrumental in getting Tuqiri involved with the club, hoped the winger's appeal against his sacking was successful, saying the advantages far outweighed any adverse effects on the ARU.

"As I said a few years ago to the press when we were trying to get Lote to play for us, he's invaluable to this club - and not only on the paddock," Moxham said.

"Commercially, he creates a lot of revenue through gate takings and sponsorship but he does a lot of work off the field for us.

"He helps us out with our luncheons and auction items, where we offer training packages that include Lote. He's very generous like that.

"He's a great mentor for the younger guys as well, guides them around the paddock and leads by example at training and away from the field. We would have loved [him to play] for us on Saturday and he's welcome back any time.

"He and guys like Timana Tahu mean a lot to us commercially and it's not just West Harbour. It's just great for this level of rugby in general - it creates a lot of media interest and brings new rugby fans through the gates. And kids want to play rugby and for West Harbour because of him. He's such a generous guy, he stays around for an hour after a game signing autographs in the dark. We wish him all the best."

Meanwhile, the governing bodies of all states are preparing for a possible showdown with O'Neill and the ARU over the possibility of the Melbourne Victory, an open entity, winning the right to the fifth Australian Super franchise over the Victorian Rugby Union.

O'Neill, who had close ties to the soccer club when chief executive of the A-League, acknowledged he knew of the application, while deputy chief executive Matt Carroll revealed he met the bidders while in Melbourne for the Italy Test last month.

"There's a huge fight brewing between the states and O'Neill at the moment over who controls the game," the source said.

"The states are up in arms over the ARU's perceived endorsement of the Melbourne Victory's application for the Super 15 side.

"They believe that if it happens to Victoria, when the others states' licences come up for renewal that a private buyer could easily do the same thing by throwing some big dollars around and taking over the NSWRU's licence. Then the Waratahs would be all dressed up with nowhere to play. They're concerned the ARU has too much control and want the right reserved for the respective states to ratify any team before it's accepted into the competition." The powerbrokers from all five states will meet this week to discuss the issues.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
well if he wins this court case, will he win money or have his sacking overturned?
i guess if its the later, then he would have to play for the tahs in order to get his money.
maybe the ARU would be smarter to sign off on this than they would be to give him a couple of million cash.

F

formeropenside

LT should probably be playing for West Harbour to show he is still willing to honour his contract. He appears to on enough money that the "wrongful termination" issues dont really come up from a financial perspective.

The only damage LT has a realistic chance of getting is related to effectively defamation, as I see it. Generally, you have a duty to mitigate your loss; in LT's case this compares with what he could get in France or Japan against the anticipated earnings here (including commercial opportunities). It may be that there is little or no financial damage suffered.

This may be a fishing expedition by LT to try to get some blanket clearance or perhaps just a non-disclosure agreement in place before he heads off O/S. He may be banking on the fact that the ARU dont want any negative publicity coming out to compromise Union's image compared to League or AFL (although you'd think it must be something major to hold that over JON's head).

R

rugbywhisperer

I wouldn't play russian roulette with JON - would you.
if there is something sinister in his sacking then I am sure the ARU will roll it out and say - "there - we have standards and we uphold them'.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
are his sponsorship deals local? if so, then he may need to stay to get money. alot of sponsors run on a lump sum payment deal, so vodafone etc might be holding out on him, he may need to play in order to gethis checks. i doubt if he went overseas he would still have the same sponsors.

O

OZGOD

fatprop said:
This has to be one of the strangest articles I have seen for ages. What demented fool at the Waratahs actually thinks he is coming back? or is this just more bad journalism.

I think the latter

Pigs will fly before Lote plays union again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom