• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Matt Giteau

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

For what it's worth, I reviewed the 12s of major nations from Giteau's international peak as a 12, 2006 and now.

All 3 12's used by the AB's in the tri nations were 93kg. The Boks alternated between Olivia who was 93kg and De Villiers who was 103kg. Whilst the Poms had Tindall who was 102kg, Catt who was around 86kg and Stuart Abbott was 89kg.

Ireland had D'Arcy who was around 90kg and Wales had I think Matt Watkins who was around 95kg also.

Only 2 players to get significant game time were above 95kg. Tindall and De Villiers, and neither managed to be absolute first choice.

In 2015 all these nations have regular players that are 100Kg or heavier.

Nonu is 106kg. SBW is 108kg. Roberts is 110kg. Burrell, Barritt and Twelvetrees are over 100kg. Henshaw for Ireland is 102kg.

The only team that hasn't followed this path is France with Fofana at 12, but they have a much bigger 13 on Basteraad.

The game has changed from Giteau's prime as an international failure. To not consider this would be foolish.

Now yes, Giteau isn't a lot smaller than alternatives like Harris and To'omua for example. What he is though, is much less physically dominant.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
For what it's worth, I reviewed the 12s of major nations from Giteau's international peak as a 12, 2006 and now.

All 3 12's used by the AB's in the tri nations were 93kg. The Boks alternated between Olivia who was 93kg and De Villiers who was 103kg. Whilst the Poms had Tindall who was 102kg, Catt who was around 86kg and Stuart Abbott was 89kg.

Ireland had D'Arcy who was around 90kg and Wales had I think Matt Watkins who was around 95kg also.

Only 2 players to get significant game time were above 95kg. Tindall and De Villiers, and neither managed to be absolute first choice.

In 2015 all these nations have regular players that are 100Kg or heavier.

Nonu is 106kg. SBW is 108kg. Roberts is 110kg. Burrell, Barritt and Twelvetrees are over 100kg. Henshaw for Ireland is 102kg.

The only team that hasn't followed this path is France with Fofana at 12, but they have a much bigger 13 on Basteraad.

The game has changed from Giteau's prime as an international failure. To not consider this would be foolish.

Now yes, Giteau isn't a lot smaller than alternatives like Harris and To'omua for example. What he is though, is much less physically dominant.

What's the point? None of Wallabies alternative for the jersey #12 is over 100 kgs (To'omua, Leali'ifano, Beale or Godwin) so this isn't relevant for the team

Wallabies don't have a #12 player over 100 kgs but have a HUGE #13, very physically dominant (Kuridrani). So the centres would be like France: "Fofana-Basteareaud"

The options:

12- To'omua 13- Kuridrani
12- Giteau 13- Kuridrani
12- Leali'ifano 13- Kuridrani
12- Beale 13- Kuridrani
12- Godwin 13- Kuridrani

Even JOC (James O'Connor) and QC (Quade Cooper) who could play in that position in a catastrophe of injuries, both aren't over 100 kg.

If you want a #12 over 100 kg, you have 2 options: Kuridrani and Folau, none of them have experience playing at 12. Poey has had more experiencie than them at 12

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What a crap thread header !!!.... The "Matt Giteau Dilemma" or the "Matt Giteau Experience" (apologies to Hendrix) would be more fitting ?

Reactions: BDA

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I created this thread months ago when there wasn't even a thought of eligibility rule changes.

I did it solely based on what I saw in Git's play.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I created this thread months ago when there wasn't even a thought of eligibility rule changes.

I did it solely based on what I saw in Git's play.

Do you want a CEO's job? There could be one going in the near future.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If Giteau is in the squad, it will be as a utility, he would be very handy on a bench with a 6/2 split.

Status
Not open for further replies.