• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Matt Giteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well of course I can't name anybody who has fucking performed if you tell me I can't mention the players that have.

Julian Salvi is the perfect example. He is considered the best 7 in the Aviva premiership. He was considered the 3rd best 7 at the brumbies in 2011.

errr, there are heaps. here's a few:
Nathan Hines
Dan Parkes
Jake Ball
Peter Hewat
Brian Smith
Brett Cockbain

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It won't happen but a Giteau 10 and Beale 12 combination would work for me as long as Kurtley doesn't wear that T-shirt.

So, which Saffa/Kiwi backrower are you - exactly?

ha bra.jpg

I think Giteau supporters fail to grasp is that the ship has sailed as far as seeing Matt Giteau play in the Wallabies jersey ever again.

Not many dispute that Matt Giteau has improved in France (due to a number of variables), but the fact is he is no certain starter for the Wallabies even if he were available. Why on earth would he give up a 1.5 million dollar pay-packet and a certain start for Toulon every week for a much reduced Wallabies contract and no guarantee of starting, let alone a spot on the bench?

He wouldn't, and we saw that he was happy to leave for France in 2011, due in part to the uncertainty surrounding his standing/worth in Aussie rugby. He's 32 now, so I'd hazard a guess the guy will play out the remainder of his days there.

Seeing people hypothesizing that a Wallabies team containing Giteau is the solution to our current woes is tiresome, as is proposing we make exceptions for overseas players.

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
View attachment 5509

I think Giteau supporters fail to grasp is that the ship has sailed as far as seeing Matt Giteau play in the Wallabies jersey ever again.

Not many dispute that Matt Giteau has improved in France (due to a number of variables), but the fact is he is no certain starter for the Wallabies even if he were available. Why on earth would he give up a 1.5 million dollar pay-packet and a certain start for Toulon every week for a much reduced Wallabies contract and no guarantee of starting, let alone a spot on the bench?

He wouldn't, and we saw that he was happy to leave for France in 2011, due in part to the uncertainty surrounding his standing/worth in Aussie rugby. He's 32 now, so I'd hazard a guess the guy will play out the remainder of his days there.

Seeing people hypothesizing that a Wallabies team containing Giteau is the solution to our current woes is tiresome, as is proposing we make exceptions for overseas players.

Mate, I, for one, wasn't suggesting Giteau will be playing for Australia again. And admiring his form in recent years isn't the same thing as suggesting he or any other overseas player should be considered for the Wallabies. The throwaway comment was that 'even though it will never happen' Giteau would work for me as a Wallaby 10 ... it's an observation he's been showing some of the qualities Australia's current crop are not displaying. I also think Mark Ella/Michael Lynagh/Steve Larkham would also work for me in that slot, but oddly enough, I'm not expecting that to happen either.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's also because of Giteau, if he was really interested in wearing the Wallaby jersey, he had done some desperate attempt to return as JOC (James O'Connor) than a year after being expelled, he did everything possible to re-dress the Wallaby jersey and got a contract with Reds. Apparently, Matt prefers the French money before the glory with Wallabies...

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
After playing 90 odd tests for the Wallabies, I'm not sure how anyone can begrudge the bloke for earning while the going's good.

You seem to forget also JOC (James O'Connor) prefers the English and French money before glory with the Wallabies too?

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
You seem to forget also JOC (James O'Connor) prefers the English and French money before glory with the Wallabies too?

What are u talking about???

He was expelled for bad behavior, he had no choice but to go abroad (It would have been worse if he had changed the code, if that child was going to the NRL wouldn't return to Union anymore) and after being abroad for less than 1 year, he was already figuring out how to re-dress the Wallaby jersey. Very different situations IMO

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Giteau was too much of a ball hog to play 10 and didn't hit the line with enought gas to play centre. He should have been a halfback.

He excels at T14 and did the same at S14. He's probably the archetypal flat track bully in rugby.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Giteau was too much of a ball hog to play 10 and didn't hit the line with enought gas to play centre. He should have been a halfback.

He excels at T14 and did the same at S14. He's probably the archetypal flat track bully in rugby.

He was a decent test 12 for awhile there. He and the Evil Wizard were a good combination.

Blake

Ted Fahey (11)
"I don't think the rule will change anytime soon and I don't think a player who left Australia because he wasn't good enough to make the wallabies will influence it much. "

. . . . my bad.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Evil Wizard - love it!

Not sure if the Evil Wizard is Larkham or Mortlock, but my opinion of Matt Giteau is that he only really played his best with Bernie on his inside (and who wouldn't). When he last played at the Brumbies without Bernie next to him, he was selfish with the ball, crabbed sideways as much as Kurtley Beale does at his worst, and then kicked aimlessly when he couldn't flank the opposition.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Can gets even play With his current duties? If he can it would be a good idea. To get him over during the 4 nations to train and have a crack at 12

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
For me, Giteau is #12

Anybody who follow the NH Rugby can tell me how was his defense in the last years?

Status
Not open for further replies.