• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Matt Giteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Gits is his day was a world class inside centre. Unfortunately he convinced himself and everyone around him that he was a 10 when he clearly wasn't. The move closer to the ruck killed his game and his relationship with the coach. Game over.

No need to go back I think.

I agree totally. But the only time I thought Gits was good at 12 was when Larkham played 10. And he could make anyone look good at 12.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Maybe not at the highest level but he would be an excellent signing for one of the newer Super rugby franchises here to bring on the next generation.
2 or 3 years before signing off.
Toulon might try and re-sign him?

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
Giteau was sweetly efficient and occasionally terrific again today as Toulon walloped Saracens. He's certain "up to the highest level". He's actually consistently one of the best at that level. I'm pretty sure every Test team in the world would consider a contest against a team of the calibre of Toulon as top shelf. Giteau's absence from the Wallabies, for whatever reason, is a bit of a rugby tragedy.

T

Train Without a Station

In that Toulon team, I'd back Sam Norton-Knight to look consistently pretty good.

When the pressure is on, that's when they separate the wheat from the chaff.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Jonny Wilkinson, who's probably as good a judge as anyone, reckons Giteau is pretty bloody good.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...go-wilkinson-lauds-giteau-20140525-zrnhn.html

We all remember Gits' great skills, and yet too the the later career stage crabbing and erratic kicking that was problematic for any Wallaby back line.

But the real sadness (and loss to the Wallabies) was Deans' now-notorious obstinacy and vanity: he did not like Gits' independence of opinion and his willingness to voice it when contrary to his own, a fault that many have recounted re Deans, and a very destructive one within a Test environment.

I am convinced Gits would have improved and quite likely flourished under Link, similarly to the manner in which QC (Quade Cooper) has.

Harv

Herbert Moran (7)
In that Toulon team, I'd back Sam Norton-Knight to look consistently pretty good.

So Giteau is a fine player in a fine team. This is not such a bad thing. And I think he's proved himself pretty well in all circumstances. He was less than his best early in the Deans era, no doubt, but he'd previously hauled the crap Force around on his shoulders and been bounced around positionally for the Wabs and Brumbies... not saying they should beg him to come back, but if you watch any Top 14 you'd know he is consistently fine (often at 10). It's unfortunate he isn't leading a Super Rugby team around. On form, I'd suggest he'd be a certainty for the Wallaby bench and a fine choice as a 12 in the first XV. Giteau v Lealiifano. v McCabe? Maybe To'omua has his measure at the moment, but not if he continues his current SA form. He's certainly not as complete a player as Giteau. Reckon he'd tell you that too.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

What a joke .. you compare Sam Norton-Knight to Gits... Gits hasnt look good his looked the best in the NH. You can take SNK ill keep Gits..

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What's the point of this discussion, Gits is earning close to a $mil/season in Toulon. He's not going anywhere.

T

Train Without a Station

What a joke .. you compare Sam Norton-Knight to Gits. Gits hasnt look good his looked the best in the NH. You can take SNK ill keep Gits..

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

Clearly you've completely missed my point. Which was, with basically a team of top quality internationals around you in a club comp, even a decent player will look pretty good and that it's not necessarily an indication of what we could expect.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Clearly you've completely missed my point. Which was, with basically a team of top quality internationals around you in a club comp, even a decent player will look pretty good and that it's not necessarily an indication of what we could expect.

Look I get what you say, Gits went Rubbish for a yearish.. but Gits is one of the guys who made the SNK look good.. and SNK is no Gits and to say that other players made him look good is a joke..

But then again look at the Rugby Heaven vote for the best inside back.. Gits has won it by a country mile....

I rate alot of oz boys before him at the moment.. what i dont think is if git in October decideds he would come back here he wouldnt be first choice or maybe Walliabies choice.. He is That Good ( in the convo)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I love the slight reinvention of history here that because Giteau is in amazing form now, it was a mistake to let him leave in 2011.

If Giteau had been willing to keep playing Super Rugby when his Wallaby spot was no longer a given then yes, he could be back in a position where he is in the Wallabies.

He wasn't willing to do that however and like many players who have been long term Wallabies, when that time ends, they go overseas. There are few people willing to stay in Australia and deal with both the reduction in income and status from no longer being a Wallaby.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Before the Matt Giteau Fan Club all get down and begin the circle jerk, let's not forget the important facts:

Manny Edmonds did a stellar job as a flyhalf in Perpignan, despite not being rated here beyond a couple of minor Test caps when everyone else was busted.

Brock James is still doing the business at Clermont and is highly rated up there, especially as a kicker and leading points scorer.

So yeah, the player needs talent. But by fuck it helps to have a good unit around you if you want to save the world.

T

Train Without a Station

Julian Salvi, Dean Mumm, Blair Conner, March Chisholm, Rocky Elsom and Selasi Ma'afu.

These are just a few names of players reported to be playing quite well, or were playing quite well in Europe despite either not being able to cement/maintain decent positions here, or performed poorly when coming back.

I'm just saying the Giteau wouldn't be the first player to not being doing much when he left and then perform well in Europe.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Julian Salvi, Dean Mumm, Blair Conner, March Chisholm, Rocky Elsom and Selasi Ma'afu.

These are just a few names of players reported to be playing quite well, or were playing quite well in Europe despite either not being able to cement/maintain decent positions here, or performed poorly when coming back.

I'm just saying the Giteau wouldn't be the first player to not being doing much when he left and then perform well in Europe.
Having seen most of those players in the Top 14 this year I can safely say that Gitaeu's play is light years better than any of them.

Who is Elsom playing for now? Last think I remember is he got injured in Toulon and came home?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I always found Salvi's case interesting, he's considered the best #7 in the Premiership and has been for some time. Yet he was 3rd at the Brumbies and probably 8th in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.