• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Matt Giteau

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

Transfer fees apply to players under contract. Anything else is a restraint of trade.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Players in rugby leave at the end of their contract. Transfer fees in football are paid only when the player leaves during his contract (with very few exceptions) and the fee is dependent on how long is left on the players contract.

Also under the football system players are allowed to start negotiating with other clubs once they have less than 6 months left on their contract and can sign for another club during that period with the move happening once their contract expires.

I don't see how this system would compensate clubs financially for a player going. What it would do is encourage clubs to try to tie players to longer contracts and also try to cash in on players who are coming into the final year of their contract.

Conversely it would suit players to stay on shorter contracts so they have the freedom to move without the stumbling block of a transfer fee.

Then like football, players will demand higher wages to sign longer contracts and increase the burden on the poorer clubs resulting in a position where they have to sell players to make ends meet.

Football's transfer system has done a stellar job of concentrating the best players in the game and most of the money into the richest clubs/leagues.

T

Train Without a Station

I can't believe this "transfer fee" shit is being spoken about again. It's the stupidest, most misconstrued shit I have ever heard.

The issue is players out of contract, also known as free agents, leaving. Nothing will stop that.

You cannot legally nor practically implement a fee system the restricts the movement of out of contract players.

Regardless, franchises aren't due any sort of fee for the development of a player. This isn't done altruistically. It's done solely for their own benefit and they just as often choose to cut a player loose anyway when the investment hasn't paid off.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Just watched French highlights.

He has been on fire this year and superb in the last few games.

Looks to me he is playing the best rugby of his career.

How long before Australia relaxes the overseas eligibility?

Agree Blue. Giteau has really shone this season. It didn't happen overnight as some sarcastically have said in this thread, and it's not because the opposition or competition is rubbish, it's happened because he seems to be playing with that freedom that was a feature of his in the Gregan/Bernie/Gits/Mortlock "axis of evil" brumbies days.

They often play the left and right playmaker game plan which is opening up space for Giteau. He isn't crabbing nearly as much.

As for what happened under Deans, I do have it from a very good 'sauce' that there was a fair amount of brinkmanship by Giteau and the whole 10 jersey thing.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Players in rugby leave at the end of their contract. Transfer fees in football are paid only when the player leaves during his contract (with very few exceptions) and the fee is dependent on how long is left on the players contract.

Also under the football system players are allowed to start negotiating with other clubs once they have less than 6 months left on their contract and can sign for another club during that period with the move happening once their contract expires.

I don't see how this system would compensate clubs financially for a player going. What it would do is encourage clubs to try to tie players to longer contracts and also try to cash in on players who are coming into the final year of their contract.

Conversely it would suit players to stay on shorter contracts so they have the freedom to move without the stumbling block of a transfer fee.

Then like football, players will demand higher wages to sign longer contracts and increase the burden on the poorer clubs resulting in a position where they have to sell players to make ends meet.

Football's transfer system has done a stellar job of concentrating the best players in the game and most of the money into the richest clubs/leagues.
Much more well thought through than my knee jerk response.
Tune = changed

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Agree Blue. Giteau has really shone this season. It didn't happen overnight as some sarcastically have said in this thread, and it's not because the opposition or competition is rubbish, it's happened because he seems to be playing with that freedom that was a feature of his in the Gregan/Bernie/Gits/Mortlock "axis of evil" brumbies days.

They often play the left and right playmaker game plan which is opening up space for Giteau. He isn't crabbing nearly as much.

As for what happened under Deans, I do have it from a very good 'sauce' that there was a fair amount of brinkmanship by Giteau and the whole 10 jersey thing.

Was it Tomato or Mustard ?

Sent from my HTC_0P6A1 using Tapatalk

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It would be fantastic if he could return to Australia and link up with the Rebels or the Force. Not much chance of the latter I know.
Both could really use his experience in good but young backlines.
Not sure if he would challenge for a RWC spot or not but he certainly wouldn't be a bad option to have.
When does his contract in France end?

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
It would be fantastic if he could return to Australia and link up with the Rebels or the Force. Not much chance of the latter I know.
Both could really use his experience in good but young backlines.
Not sure if he would challenge for a RWC spot or not but he certainly wouldn't be a bad option to have.
When does his contract in France end?

Around the end of October this year.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Actually the move seems to help a few of them - Silesi Maáfu is another that comes to mind.

c/- @qwerty51
Bn0YZ5hCMAAtiKq.jpg:large

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Also have to remember part of the reason overseas players are actually paid well is that they're always available to the clubs. Having them on international duty will reduce their value to the clubs.

Not necessarily true - it depends on the contacts you have. One of the biggest complaints in the Top 14 is there are several rounds that cross in to the Test season window and they lose their international players. The Toulon side that took the park during the test window was like their "B" eam due to player being unavailable. You need to remember that its only really Australia and NZ that done call their players back for internationals. SA and Argentina do, Japan and co do, and all the Northern hemisphere sides certainly do.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not necessarily true - it depends on the contacts you have. One of the biggest complaints in the Top 14 is there are several rounds that cross in to the Test season window and they lose their international players. The Toulon side that took the park during the test window was like their "B" eam due to player being unavailable. You need to remember that its only really Australia and NZ that done call their players back for internationals. SA and Argentina do, Japan and co do, and all the Northern hemisphere sides certainly do.

That's part of the premium that is paid for former Aussie test players though. French sides can sign them knowing that they will be available in those critical times when they're missing their other stars.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - the Brumbies nor the Force could get him to perform as good as he is atm! Finally holding his own against a recognised international opponent!

Yet he plays for Northampton, which is home for such pillars of the community as Dylan Hartley, Courtney Lawes, and Calum Clark, former home of Chris Ashton.

Ugh.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I would say that's a fair comment for most of their games, but there are plenty of games in the top 14 that on par with the soup running rugby - but there are limited French backs who can play this style without having other international around them. IMHO its why you see the reversion to the dower game play at international level. I will be interested to see what type of game play we get out of them when they play the Wallabies.
Watched the Castres v Montp. And Racing v Toulon games this weekend.

All those sides in my opinion will be 50/50 goign into games with the Top6 in the Super Rugby comp right now. Except Racing - who play a slow version of Jakeball.

People watch Grenoble and Biarritz draw 9-9 in soup at sub zero temperatures and decide that's French rugby. Not.

Matt Gitaue's work rate in that Toulon game was astonishing and as good than anything I have seen from a 12 in a super rugby game this season.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
We'll trade you. SA can have Giteau and we'll take Jak Pot.

I think you need to watch him play. When the press are saying he is the stand out in form player in the Northern Hemisphere and can comfortably cover for J Wilkinson I wouldn't be trading him off so quick!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Yet he plays for Northampton, which is home for such pillars of the community as Dylan Hartley, Courtney Lawes, and Calum Clark, former home of Chris Ashton.

Ugh.
Unlike the good upstanding law abiding pillars of the community like ...*Cough - Quade...cough....Kurtly.....or role models like JOC (James O'Connor) and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for sportsmanship. Glass houses etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.