• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

McMinimum GAAAWWWWWWWN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
From the Telegraph
Hugh to take the money and run

By Peter Badel

May 24, 2009 12:00am

THE Wallabies' World Cup plans have suffered a major setback with Queensland and Test forward Hugh McMeniman to quit Australian rugby at season's end.

And McMeniman's Reds team-mate Digby Ioane will leave with him unless Test coach Robbie Deans succeeds in a late bid to keep the powerhouse outside back in Australia.

In a blow to Queensland's hopes of a revival, McMeniman will shun a World Cup campaign in 2011 after fielding offers in excess of $900,000 from French and Japanese clubs.

The star flanker informed Reds coach Phil Mooney of his decision last Friday.

Ruled out of this year's Wallabies program with an ankle injury, McMeniman faced the prospectof sacrificing $1.24million over two years had he committed to a new deal with the ARU.

The ARU's base offer, understood to be around $280,000 a year, was not unpalatable to McMeniman. But the financial strength of offshore clubs, combined with McMeniman's horror run with injury, convinced the veteran of 21 Tests to embark on a new challenge.

He is almost certain to play in Japan, but has not ruled out a stint in France.

The impending loss of McMeniman and Ioane should ring alarm bells at ARU headquarters as the governing body tries to stem a player drain to overseas outfits.

"Talks have broken down so I'll be pursuing my overseas interests. I've told the Reds I'm going,'' McMeniman said.

"I've spoken to Phil (Mooney) and naturally he's disappointed, but he's been good about it. He wished me well.

"Given my injuries, I can't complain too much about the ARU's offer, but it just doesn't get near the overseas offers.

"I haven't decided on a club yet. There's three or four clubs in the mix so I'll sort that out in the coming months.''

F

formeropenside

Bugger.

On the upside, at least he's not going to the Tahs or Force.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well, $1.24M over two years is a lot to give up for the chance of playing for the Wallabies.

Is the ARU strapped for cash, or were they trying to get him on the cheap?

Good luck to him.

F

formeropenside

What does get under my skin is the ARU refusing to let him turn out for Qld in 2010. He sought a release to do so but it was not granted. Nice deliberate work to keep Qld down.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Langthorne said:
Well, $1.24M over two years is a lot to give up for the chance of playing for the Wallabies.

Is the ARU strapped for cash, or were they trying to get him on the cheap?

Good luck to him.

Agreed, you would have to be an idiot to pass that sort of money up! Can't see much chance of retaining Diggers for the same reasons.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
Apparently the ARU have only offered Ioane 190k?! FFS!

How much more should they offer a guy who shows great/fantastic potential, but is yet to do much at test level.

S

Spook

fatprop said:
Spook said:

How much more should they offer a guy who shows great/fantastic potential, but is yet to do much at test level.

Well how much did they give Tahu? Ioane was the best outside back in Oz this S14 season. It was his time I reckon to make one of the wing spots his own and he could've also challenged for the 13 jumper.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
fatprop said:
Spook said:

Well how much did they give Tahu? Ioane was the best outside back in Oz this S14 season. It was his time I reckon to make one of the wing spots his own and he could've also challenged for the 13 jumper.

I don't think you can compare pre-recession wages, the ARU can only spend what they have today, and really he is only a wing option at the moment at test level. Mortlock will be the 13.

I have no doubt next year he would be fantastic, but at the moment he is all potential test level.

and Qld can arrange whatever extra sponsorship dollars they can, just like they are trying to do for Elsom

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Be honest, blokes. Suppose Queensland and the ARU had a fixed amount of money for which they could buy (1) Rocky OR (2) McMinimum + Ioane. Which would you choose?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
formeropenside said:
Nice deliberate work to keep Qld down.

Well, they put themselves down there in the first place, so its pretty easy to keep a foot on their throat.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's a shame MMM didn't stay I know the money on offer isn't great but he has been paid a lot of money to sit around being injured most of the time at least he should have hung around to play the 2011 RWC & then chase the Euro or Yen he owes his fans & Australian Rugby that much.

If Digby goes then fucking Tahu & Tuqiri better start winning the Wallabies some big time trophies, those fluffybunnys would have to be on 3 times as much as that offer & they've both done fuck all.

Pissed off at MMM to be honest, Digby I understand but MMM is a massive let down I thought he had more ticker than that he is only 25 so at 27 he could have gone offshore & still earnt some good crust.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
disco said:
It's a shame MMM didn't stay I know the money on offer isn't great but he has been paid a lot of money to sit around being injured most of the time at least he should have hung around to play the 2011 RWC & then chase the Euro or Yen he owes his fans & Australian Rugby that much.

If Digby goes then fucking Tahu & Tuqiri better start winning the Wallabies some big time trophies, those fluffybunnys would have to be on 3 times as much as that offer & they've both done fuck all.

Pissed off at MMM to be honest, Digby I understand but MMM is a massive let down I thought he had more ticker than that he is only 25 so at 27 he could have gone offshore & still earnt some good crust.
I get your point, but you'd be better off being pissed off at the administrators than Tuqiri and Tahu - if people want to throw big money at them it's hardly their fault. Agree re MMM - pea for a heart!

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
If MMM was fair dinkum then he'd take a look back & realise that minutes for money he's probably one of the most expensive rugby players we've had plus his medicare costs.

I get your point, but you'd be better off being pissed off at the administrators than Tuqiri and Tahu - if people want to throw big money at them it's hardly their fault.

Well that Flowers was a bigger fuckwit than I thought & the ARU can kiss this 5th team goodbye if they can't afford to pay Digby Ioane more than 190k a year.
Bugger.

On the upside, at least he's not going to the Tahs or Force.

I wish they were, at least that would keep them in OZ I hope one of the Force or tahs sponsors does make a play for them both or at least Digby Ioane.

and Qld can arrange whatever extra sponsorship dollars they can, just like they are trying to do for Elsom

Well the 2IC of the ARU on the Rugby Club last week said that they will let all Super Rugby clubs become a private franchise like the A-league.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
formeropenside said:
What does get under my skin is the ARU refusing to let him turn out for Qld in 2010. He sought a release to do so but it was not granted. Nice deliberate work to keep Qld down.

When was the last time the ARU did anything for Queensland ? They love to bankroll mungo conversions for the Tahs though. I guess they know Queenslanders will simply put up with it. What're they gonna do - whack the ARU with their wooden spoon ?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
naza said:
When was the last time the ARU did anything for Queensland?

What's Queensland got to do with the Australian Rugby Union? They tell us they're not part of Australia, but if they're forced into recognising us, "It's better to be a Queenslander than an Australian".

Roost. home. coming. chickens. 8) 8) 8)

1. Get your own house in order.
2. Make a few deposits in your goodwill account; at the moment it's overdrawn.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
disco said:

He is smart. Now he's going to get paid more to sit around while he's injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.