• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mealamu headbutt

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The problem with Bakkies is that he's done stupid shit like that so often that people start to think he's really a bit nasty. I gather he's a top bloke off the field, but a total nutcase on it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bakkies know he is targetted. Played outstanding on saturday, long may this continue. Kevin probably will do the same when he comes back.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As Rodney Rude said put the dart in my mouth~ feathers first .... Now throw the farkin board at me.

Both acts of thuggery during The Darkness vs Soap Dodgers deserve the Rodney Rude treatment... Throw the farkin book at them.

A rugby player who does not know where his head is or elbow is and what it is about to impact into should not be playing top level.

Accidents my Jarse!!!

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
As Rodney Rude said put the dart in my mouth~ feathers first .... Now throw the farkin board at me.

Both acts of thuggery during The Darkness vs Soap Dodgers deserve the Rodney Rude treatment... Throw the farkin book at them.

A rugby player who does not know where his head is or elbow is and what it is about to impact into should not be playing top level.

Accidents my Jarse!!!

Ah another Rude fan I see. Nice one...

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Do you believe those suggestions?

I personally think that Moody was making a right nusiance of himself and both Kev and Kaino let him know about it with a little extra treatment. Extra treatment happens all the time, but Kev got cited and will get a rest most probably.

I don't. I've heard that kind of spin before, from Lord Bald, and the Ospreys. And it's bullshit.

And even if he did, a flying head-butt to the back of the head? No. He deserves everything he gets.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Have to agree. I'm a big fan of Kev as a player and an individual, but like all of us in some time in our lives, and likely more than once, and in my case heaps more than that, he had a shocker. It was deliberate, and it doesn't bear excusing.

One could not excuse it as one could when Kev was involved in an incident a few minutes into the 2005 test series between NZ and the Lions. Then, when Drico almost famously could have died, another estimable person and player, Tana The Great, was involved and therefore consideration of the different forces generated served to excuse the defenders.

Not so at HQ - not so.

Meantime reserve England hooker Hartley has not been cited for an incident in the same game. Fearless prediction: the All Blacks will squeal like stuck pigs, though crafting their language po-faced, if Kev gets suspended. Halos glistening, they will point the finger at the escape of Hartley and suggest there was an affront to natural justice, that St. Kev was cited and another Kiwi (though playing for England) Hartley, got off scot-free.

Am I being unfair, or will they agree with true rugby statesmanship that whatever the treatment of Hartley, Kev got everything he deserved?

Hartley was culpable also. True, McCaw was on his back and fiddling with the ball pursuant to it being flicked accidentally to the Black side of the ruck, and Hartley intervened to stop it, but you don't do that kind of thing, even to McCaw. Shame, I say, shame.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Oh, Hartley's a right dirty little scut, and should have been done too, no question about it. A genuinely evil little shit.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Have to agree. I'm a big fan of Kev as a player and an individual, but like all of us in some time in our lives, and likely more than once, and in my case heaps more than that, he had a shocker. It was deliberate, and it doesn't bear excusing.

Meantime reserve England hooker Hartley has not been cited for an incident in the same game. Fearless prediction: the All Blacks will squeal like stuck pigs, though crafting their language po-faced, if Kev gets suspended. Halos glistening, they will point the finger at the escape of Hartley and suggest there was an affront to natural justice, that St. Kev was cited and another Kiwi (though playing for England) Hartley, got off scot-free.

Am I being unfair, or will they agree with true rugby statesmanship that whatever the treatment of Hartley, Kev got everything he deserved?

Hartley was culpable also. True, McCaw was on his back and fiddling with the ball pursuant to it being flicked accidentally to the Black side of the ruck, and Hartley intervened to stop it, but you don't do that kind of thing, even to McCaw. Shame, I say, shame.

Kevin has been banned for 4 weeks - EOYT gone.

From the NZ Herald:

While the All Black camp maintained Mealamu's innocence, they would have been more comfortable accepting his fate had England's replacement hooker Dylan Hartley been charged with the same offence after appearing to strike Richie McCaw with his forearm.

McCaw said he was unpleasantly "surprised" no action had been taken against the New Zealand-born hooker.
Personally, I have no problem with Kevy's ban because deliberate or not, it was definitely a head-butt. Still not happy that Hartley didn't get cited. Everyone watching the game saw what he did - it's not that hard is it?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
And from McCaw:

"That's the biggest frustration as a player, the inconsistency," McCaw said.

"I don't like to be bitching and moaning about it, but I'm surprised he (Hartley) wasn't up.

"I don't like people taking cheap shots, it's annoying.

"I think you saw what we thought about it by my and Brad's reaction on the field. The guy that's done the citing's decided differently."

Mealamu is latest All Black to queue before a northern hemisphere judiciary.

Sione Lauaki was banned for two games at the 2007 World Cup for a dangerous tackle on a Romanian opponent; in 2008 Tony Woodcock was suspended for a week for a punch during the Irish test and last year Daniel Carter was also outed for a game after being found guilty of a supposed high tackle - a verdict that still rankles.

Footage of Mealamu's contact with Moody appears damning although his defence team will claim it was a legitimate clean out at a ruck and the 82-cap veteran made contact with Moody via the shoulder, not forehead.

Teammates, led by McCaw, launched a spirited defence of the 82-test veteran though his captain feared the incident would not be deemed unintentional.

"I think everyone knows what's Keven's like and the type of guy he is.

"You know he didn't do that intentionally but when you end up in front of the judiciary anything can happen .... history shows not many guys get let off too lightly in this part of the world."

McCaw dismissed suggestions the All Blacks were targeted when touring the UK and Ireland, but said players had to be particularly disciplined.

"You've got to be extra squeaky clean," he said.

"You just can't afford to get yourself in a position where the citing officer's going to have a look because more often than not you end up in front of the judiciary."

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Always the Diplomat Richie. Him and Phil Waugh are the masters at it.

Do we watch this space for Paddy O'Brians reaction to this incident?

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Four weeks is a reasonable and suitable penalty. Hartley should have also gone though as his act appears equally deliberate.
The argument that Kev was provoked is irrelevant in my opinion. If you retaliate in that thuggish manner you deserve to suspended regardless of what you are responding to.
These sort of actions, whether retaliatory or unprovoked, must not go unpunished as they are a blight on the game.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Have to agree on the retaliation aspect of your argument, PP. There is a specific law pertaining to "Retaliation".

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Completely agree with Kev's ban, personally. He's a smashing player (no pun intended) but that was out of line and the cameras caught it very clearly from several angles. Four weeks is appropriate. How the sheep in Pom's clothing got off I'll never know - oh wait, RFU runs the IRB, I forgot.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Happy for the #1 Darkness Hooker to have a holiday, but disappointed that the Citing Commissioner has not been consistent to place the Soap Dodger offender in front of the Judiciary.

Shithouse referees are OK as long as they are consistent and show no bias in their shithouseness. Same with the Judiciary and Citing Staff, it is imperative that they are consistent. People know where they are with consistent rulings, and adapt their behaviour accordingly.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
"We're defending a guy who's character has been questioned and it shouldn't be," Hansen said.

"He's a one-off special person. He hasn't got a dirty bone in his body.

"He's not a dirty player, he never has been. This is a case we'll go to the death on."

I think Brian O'Driscoll & Lewis Moody may disagree with Hansen.

Status
Not open for further replies.