• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Mealamu headbutt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Fuck me sideways. What a joke. Flying headbutt gets 2 weeks. So, they've reduced the appraisal to a low-level infringement (4 weeks) and then applied his exemplary record to that and come up with 2 weeks. Totally fucked.

Budgie

Chris McKivat (8)
As Rodney Rude said put the dart in my mouth~ feathers first .... Now throw the farkin board at me.

Both acts of thuggery during The Darkness vs Soap Dodgers deserve the Rodney Rude treatment... Throw the farkin book at them.

A rugby player who does not know where his head is or elbow is and what it is about to impact into should not be playing top level.

Accidents my Jarse!!!

Agree. Every bit of retribution I ever metered out on the field was deliberate. No accidents ever. got away with plenty. Like Mr Mealamu, I was never yellow carded ever.

Two weeks after being caught, then whinging, is a joke.

Take your medicine like a real man.

Shows how vulnerable and hypocritical the All Blacks are. There is not too much depth. They will be very vulnerable next year.

Gooch

Fred Wood (13)
2 weeks for a headbutt is a load of crap. I don't care if Kev is a great bloke, a headbutt is a headbutt and he deserved his 4 weeks. I thought his suspension had already been cut from a possible 8 weeks because he's been a good boy for so long, but the powers of the Darkness have shown the IRB who's boss and he gets to play against Wales and, as I read in one article, "the lucrative Barbarians game." Grow a set IRB and show the Darkness they are not above the laws of rugby.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
What a ffing joke, just watch the hate media directed to the AB's as seen lately increase. AB's did themselves no favours in perusing this irrespective of the outcome. A PR disaster. Scribes will lapp this up.

Kiwis be prepared to suck it up BIG time!!!

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
"You don't need to see his identification. This isn't the headbutter you're looking for. Move along."

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Whinging Nancy boys. Disgraceful appeal outcome.

The Darkness should be playing poofball.

Take your medicine like men, and thank your lucky stars he was not outed for the maximum.

Bigger sissy howly bags than the soap dodgers and a disgrace to all honorable kiwis and men of spirit.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Good luck to him. Surely learned his lesson. Ask Bakkies? Over heating. Can happen to any rugby player with heart and passion for the game.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Good luck to him. Surely learned his lesson. Ask Bakkies? Over heating. Can happen to any rugby player with heart and passion for the game.

With all due respect to your mate Bakkies, Oom, he might need a higher-grade coolant than he has run on in the past!

M

Muttonbird

Whinging Nancy boys. Disgraceful appeal outcome.

I don't see what all the fuss is about. It's perfectly natural to want to defend your man, especially if you believe the judiciary didn't see all the evidence, and if loud noises came out of the All Blacks camp then it was to that end. Maybe that's what makes them a strong unit.

The squad is light on experience/fitness at #2 after Mealamu and they need him playing. Now, at least, he's available vs Wales.

To suggest they lie down and do the "honourable" thing is madness in today's world of sport (Aussie cricketers walk much? - yeah right) especially since the All Blacks management evidently had a case for appeal.

Wouldn't want to be losing to the Irish for the first time ever and the Welsh since 1973 now would they? With all due respect Scotland will try their hardest but have only worried the All Blacks once or twice in 100 years and in fact the Scots should not even get close to a Tri-nations team at the moment.:D

You may ridicule me and hound me off the board if the Scotland win tomorrow morning.

EDIT: Good luck to the Wallabies tomorrow. I really hope they humiliate the emasculated Englishmen and I'd especially like to see Moody get shown up. Interesting stat from last weekend, Moody - meters gained: zero!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Moody should never have played. He came back from an injury to his eye IIRR, the previous weekend for Bath, and shouldn't have played, he was so tentative, and it was the same at HQ.

As for the Kev incident: the feeling I had was one of extreme disappointment of an All Black I admired as a player and person. I was willing to put down the Drico incident to recklessness and wanting to intimidate the best player from the Lions but the head butt was worthy of Bakkies Botha - the worst insult I can think of.

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
To be fair, I think there's no problem whatsoever in the AB's appealing the decision. That's precisely what appeal systems are for. The problem is the result of the appeal and that's not the AB's fault, it's the commissioner or whoever heard it.

All the stuff in the press from the AB's about how lovely Mealamu etc is and how he's a real leader etc is totally irrelevant and emotional crap. That's what's getting my blood boiling a bit. Who cares if he helps little old ladies across the street in his spare time?

So while I've got no issue in the AB's appealing, but I've got issues with them fighting a war in the media to have irrelevant factors taken into account.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Institute a fixed penalty system. No appeals on penalty only on guilt. If a player has a previous record double the penalty they received the last time, and if they have no history the statutory penalty can be halves for a low range offence.

This re-inforces the perception of dual standards for the ABs and the rest. Cooper got a 2 week rest for his bullshit spear tackle (which he did so I make no excuses for him) and this had much more spite and intent in it.

I've got to say I hold Melamu in contempt now, he knows what he did and should have had the honour and ethics to take the ban on the chin.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I have just watched the headbutt for the first time, as Youtube has been intolerably slow for me lately. Got to say, you can see Kev looking right at the back of his head and lineing him up before driving home. Very ugly. I guess this is just more proof that the AB's are the IRB's little pet.

As for the vitriole about Kev's character, who cares? He is just a bloke playing for his country, trying to get the upper hand any way he can, this time he got caught, doesn't make him an axe murdering rapist. Every country has a player or two who would do what he did each and every match if they thought they could get away with it, it's not soccer.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I do agree with Muttonbird on this one. It's not the ABs I am angry at (although their tantrum upon receipt of the initial ban was undignified and arrogant), but the IRB judiciary itself. What a gutless bunch. You are seriously telling me that that Kev's headbutt is equal to Quade's hamfisted spear tackle? And Fourie's for that matter?

The inconsistencies abound. Something needs to be done about this, because the judiciary system is still stuck firmly in the amatuer age. Hartley got off with nothing FFS.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I agree, Barbarian, and posted as such elsewhere. The fault does not lie with Kev (he made a mistake) or the ABs management (they followed the process and appealed as they are quite justified to do) and got a good outcome.
[rant on] The lily-livered, gin-soaked gormless peanut-for-brains, leather-patch wearing Lord Farquars of the iRB living in a juniper and quinine haze in their Chesterfield wing-back chairs, living out the glory of their appearance for Wensleydale 2nds 40 years ago need to make an appointment with Cliffy Palu for some reality-checking as to upon what the hell they are supposed to be officiating, and make some coherent set of criteria for these offences instead of the Kev and Hanso "He's a good bloke" show that we had here. [rant off]

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've got no problem with the AB management, they are just trying to get their bloke off, like anyone would. The judiciary are the real joke here. An intentional head but should be more than two weeks. But then again, Hartley, nasty bugger that he is, got off scot free. More nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.